Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #1

Help Me choose a better Pentax Camera,Please.

What is the best Pentax Camera out there besides the Pentax K-30 when it comes to shooting Portrait, Weddings, Landscapes, and Concerts?

02-04-2018, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That’s a easy one, the K1.
02-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dean1966 Quote
What is the best Pentax Camera out there besides the Pentax K-30 when it comes to shooting Portrait, Weddings, Landscapes, and Concerts?
check out the reviews under " cameras " above

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

and make use of the side by side by side --- comparison tool

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
02-04-2018, 01:36 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure it's quite such an easy answer...

The K-30 is capable of taking absolutely stunning portrait, wedding, landscape and concert photos, if you've learned how to get the best from it. If you're not getting those really impressive results, the issue is unlikely to be the camera. A much better camera and lenses will get you slightly better results in certain circumstances, but it won't improve your technique and ability.

There's nothing wrong with upgrading to a new camera, and the K-1 full frame body is certainly a fantastic choice if it suits your requirements, but it won't drastically improve the results you get - unless you've actually exhausted the limits of your K-30.

02-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
KDD
Veteran Member

There are only 3 K-1 or KP or K-70. Or waiting for new camera dslr is coming soon.
02-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

There is very little to compare with the letdown I felt after the first month with the K-1. There was improvement, but not nearly as much as I expected. And for many purposes, wildlife, birding and macro my k-3 is often the better choice. That being said, my K-1 has become my camera of choice. I don't care that it's a small difference, I quite like the small difference.

Personally coming from a K-30, I'd be looking at a K-P if the price is no issue or a K-70 if it is.
But lots of folks are still getting great images from even K-x's.

"it's time for an upgrade" can always be a good choice, just because there have been small incremental improvements in so many different areas. It's pretty likely on elf them will make a difference for you as long as your basic technique is sound.

K-30 K-50. K-3, K-3ii, K-S1, K-S2 there have been 6 pretty substantial upgrades since your K-30 going to a K-70, 7 if you go to a K-P. I think you might notice a difference.
02-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have just paid a small fortune to get my K-30 fixed rather than upgrading to something I don't like as much but is superior in some ways. It all comes down to budget. I looked at the K5ii as an alternative to getting my wonderful K-30 fixed but I decided that if I wanted to upgrade I would do it properly once my finances were sorted. The cameras I have earmarked are the K-70 which seems to be weak and strong in all the same places as the K-30 but it is much improved with additional bells and whistles like WiFi, a tilty screen and no anti-aliasing filter for cleaner pictures. The other is the now discontinued K3ii which most people regard as a peach. One reviewer said "avoid anything with a letter in it (Kr, Ks, Ks-1, Ks-2, Kp)some people love them but I have seen mixed reviews whereas most people love the K-70 and K-3ii (can I just stress I did say " most") is your K-30 unwell? One word of warning. I believe the K-70 has the same aperture set up as the K-30 and may be prone to the same issues.

Thanks for posting this thread. It was a hard decision whether or not to pay more to repair my K-30 than I originally paid for it but posts like yours make me feel both vindicated in paying for the repair and very excited at the prospect of finally getting it back.

02-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

once you decide on what you want

be sure to check out whether it is being offered in the forum's market place " buy/sell "

I have had good luck buying " experienced " equipment from other forum members there
02-04-2018, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buying a "better" camera won't make you a better photographer. It will be an easier question to answer if you specify how the K-30 is letting you down.

For portraits, weddings and landscapes I'd say the 645Z is the "best Pentax camera out there". Not so much for concerts though
02-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One other point. The K-70 and K-3 like the K-30 and K-5 before them are both targeted at slightly different markets. There are things the K-70 (K-30) does better than the K3 (K5) and vice versa. The list on the K3ii's strengths is longer but it is also 30% more expensive, however, if the thE strengths of the K-70 dovetail with what you want, why pay more than you have to. Bottom line, don't just check reviews, also check comparisons
02-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For weddings, I like my K-3 and K5, but the KP or K-3ii would be an improvement. I love the K-1, but lenses that are as good as my DA* are considerably larger and heavier. For the weddings and I’m sure concerts, the KP would be your best bet for autofocus and size/weight. The K3ii has dual card slots, but I only shoot RAW, so a large card would suffice. If you shoot RAW+, I would consider the K3ii for that reason.

For top of the line portraits and landscapes, you would be hard pressed to do better than the 645Z.
02-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might also consider the K-S2 - the articulated screen can come in real handy in certain situations.
02-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The best huh? 645z, k1, kp, 6x7, etc. Depends what you want. Also how soon do you want it because future cameras bring new qualifications. Weight your requirements and the best will change.
02-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dean1966 Quote
What is the best Pentax Camera
I think the answer depends on which criteria are important to you. "Best" could be defined in terms of any combination of:

- Overall image quality
- Price
- Physical characteristics: Weight or mass, camera bulk, etc
- Frame rate
- Desirable features (e.g., flip-out LCD; dual card slots)
- Ergonomics
- others?
02-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

K-3II (aps-c) or K-1 (full frame with switch for aps-c use) may be good upgrade choices.