Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With CP+ around the corner, I'd spend the next weeks reading up on the current models and see if there isn't something else to compare to in a month. There isn't any concrete news, but I think many would agree that the tea leaves appear to be favorable for some new cameras or announcements shortly.

02-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once you get your K-30 back, if you are interested in upping your class of camera and in imaging improvement, save up for a KP. You will have a better-built, more advanced camera in many ways, superior control set, excellent low-light/higher ISO performance, higher resolution, and much more. Using a high-quality lens with it is also important for availing yourself of its potential. The K-5 series has a similar sensor to your K-30, so if you go that route, get a K-5 IIs, which eliminates the AA filter for better image definition. In either case, be sure to set your camera's sharpening to "F" for Fine Sharpening in the Custom Image menus, for better detail in your images.
02-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My suggestion would be a K-3II while new stock lasts (recently discontinued by Pentax).

Steve
02-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Some thing to think about

[ how much time to spend thinking is up to the buyer ]

but as I understand it, the " latest and greatest " [ so to speak ] changes in Pentax lenses is the PLM - Pulse Motor (PLM) system powering the autofocus and the KAF4 mount.

" PLM - "PLM" means this lens uses a pulse motor, which is near-silent and substantially faster than both the older screw-drive design and Pentax's other silent motors.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-da-55-300mm-f45-63-ed-plm-wr/specifications.html#ixzz56C4agseG"

" The KAF4 Mount and Compatibility

The lens mount is made of metal, and encircled by the trademark bright orange WR gasket, designed to keep water and dust away from your sensor and other delicate components. If you look closely at the back of the lens, you'll also notice that there's no aperture stop-down lever. That's due to the brand-new KAF4 mount designation, which introduces fully electronic aperture control to Pentax lenses.

The upside to the move to KAF4 is that the lens now has fewer moving parts, and that aperture control makes less noise. If you don't have a physical aperture lever, it can't get jammed. The downside is that this lens can only be used by cameras that recognize the new KAF4 mount. As of early 2017, the list includes the K-1, K-3, K-3 II, K-S2, K-S1, K-50, K-70, and KP. All future bodies should also be KAF4-compatible. All of the aforementioned cameras save the K-70 and KP first need a firmware update to support this lens. "

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews

This chart shows which Pentax Camera Bodies - the K 1, K-3, K-3 II, K-50, K-70, K-S1, K-S2 - can function with such a system ( and keep in mind, currently only one Pentax lens uses it )

" KAF4: This is a KAF3 mount without an aperture stop down lever. Lenses with the KAF4 mount will only work on camera bodies that support electronic aperture control (cameras from 2013 and newer, except for the K-500). "

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

how many future Pentax lenses will feature PLM and the KAF4 mount - I have no idea

but if you don't invest in one of the cameras listed above, such lenses will not work if my understanding is correct

do you need the " latest and greatest " development in a Pentax lens, not necessarily but you might want it

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-05-2018 at 04:39 AM.
02-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the K-50 which is same as the K-30 with a different skin, I like the light weight and simplicity of it. But my K-3 with same lens beats the K-50, 95% of the time in terms of focus accuracy and image quality. This is just my experience.

If money is tight you can pick a used/almost brand new K-3 for dirt cheap now, very reliable camera.

I am saving for K-1, someday when family don't drain my wallet....
02-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dean1966 Quote
What is the best Pentax Camera out there besides the Pentax K-30 when it comes to shooting Portrait, Weddings, Landscapes, and Concerts?
Dean, What lenses do you have for the K-30? Often it is more a matter of having the best lenses for the subject than it is the camera.

If money is not a factor, then I would say THE best Pentax for everything you mentioned (except concerts) would be a 645Z. If all four of your categories are important, then the K-1.

If money is a factor, the K-70 is the least expensive new Pentax that will work fine with your current lenses, but will be a significant upgrade from your K-30.
02-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #22

I'd go the KP

02-05-2018, 02:52 AM   #23

The best camera is the one you currently own, more than likely, much bigger gains will be achieved by reviewing and then improving your technique and the glass you currently use.

Last edited by photolady95; 02-05-2018 at 06:30 AM.