Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-05-2018, 01:34 AM   #1

Shutter for Pentax k5

Hi!
I'm looking for a shutter replacement for my camera, Pantex K5.

Do you know where can I find one?

If so, how much would it cost

Thanks a lot!

02-05-2018, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums

Spare parts aren't generally available to consumers, so you'll need to either send the camera to a service centre for repair, or buy another camera for parts (in which case you'll need to be confident that the shutter works). I imagine the cost would be quite similar, give or take a little.

I guess it's possible that you might find individual parts removed from a faulty camera on eBay, but I've rarely seen anything for the K-5...
02-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

Hi!

I have a broken k-5, not turning on anymore. If shipping is not horribly complicated (from CH to you) that could be a donor...
02-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tiffyk5 Quote
Hi!

Thanks a lot!
This sounds like an expensive solution! Shutter wear or damage is among the most serious repairs, I would think! cost for doing the work might be high. The K-5's worth is not that high these days. You might consider looking for a replacement.

02-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #5

Replacing the shutter is not a trivial repair. You need to practically strip down the entire chassis to replace it. If the shutter adjustment/calibration is the same as for the K10D you will need a standard calibrated light source/box and a calibrated master lens and possibly the service software..

USCamera may be able to order the part for you. They can probably sell you the service manual too. They ship overseas from the US. They will not sell you the service software.

You could always have a Ricoh / Pentax service center repair the camera. As noted before it will probably be expensive enough that replacing the camera may be more economical.
02-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #6

Hi!

Thanks a lot!
It will be $200 or $300. Precision camera has a flat rate for these.
KEH also has a service dept. and may be able to do it for less money.
02-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hello and welcome to the forums

Spare parts aren't generally available to consumers, so you'll need to either send the camera to a service centre for repair, or buy another camera for parts (in which case you'll need to be confident that the shutter works). I imagine the cost would be quite similar, give or take a little.

I guess it's possible that you might find individual parts removed from a faulty camera on eBay, but I've rarely seen anything for the K-5...

Hi, thanks for your response.:-)
I reached out to different service centers around the world with no luck for now.

I found a k5 on eBay but I thought about giving it another chance.
Thank you!

02-05-2018, 09:17 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chochichaeschtli Quote
Hi!

I have a broken k-5, not turning on anymore. If shipping is not horribly complicated (from CH to you) that could be a donor...

Wow! Sounds awesome.
Can I PM you?

Thanks!
02-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
This sounds like an expensive solution! Shutter wear or damage is among the most serious repairs, I would think! cost for doing the work might be high. The K-5's worth is not that high these days. You might consider looking for a replacement.
That's what I've been told, and I might not have a choice, but it's my first real camera...
:-\
Thanks!
02-05-2018, 09:20 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Replacing the shutter is not a trivial repair. You need to practically strip down the entire chassis to replace it. If the shutter adjustment/calibration is the same as for the K10D you will need a standard calibrated light source/box and a calibrated master lens and possibly the service software..

USCamera may be able to order the part for you. They can probably sell you the service manual too. They ship overseas from the US. They will not sell you the service software.

You could always have a Ricoh / Pentax service center repair the camera. As noted before it will probably be expensive enough that replacing the camera may be more economical.
Thanks!
I might not have a choice, but it's my first real camera...
:-\
02-05-2018, 09:21 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by randomstuff Quote
It will be $200 or $300. Precision camera has a flat rate for these.
KEH also has a service dept. and may be able to do it for less money.
Thanks a lot!
:-)
02-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you should seek out a lightly-used K-5 IIs, (I still have one and am keeping it), this upgraded variant was the last of the K-5 series and its improvements included better autofocus, and omitting the commonly designed-in AA filter, which allows greater detail in your images. I had the regular K-5, a fine camera, but I noticed the improvements in the K-5 IIs. Also be sure to go into the Custom Image menu for both the regular default "Bright" category and the "Natural" category, and put an "F" by the"S" in both of these categories to implement Fine Sharpening. When done, put the camera back to the "Bright" setting, which is best for most uses. I have done so with all my Pentax DSLR models.

BTW- which lens or lenses have you been using?
02-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
If you should seek out a lightly-used K-5 IIs, (I still have one and am keeping it), this upgraded variant was the last of the K-5 series and its improvements included better autofocus, and omitting the commonly designed-in AA filter, which allows greater detail in your images. I had the regular K-5, a fine camera, but I noticed the improvements in the K-5 IIs. Also be sure to go into the Custom Image menu for both the regular default "Bright" category and the "Natural" category, and put an "F" by the"S" in both of these categories to implement Fine Sharpening. When done, put the camera back to the "Bright" setting, which is best for most uses. I have done so with all my Pentax DSLR models.

BTW- which lens or lenses have you been using?

Hi,
I'm opened to hear. Thanks a lot!
I use 18-250 Pentax lens.
02-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
I'm opened to hear. Thanks a lot!
I use 18-250 Pentax lens.
That is a very good all-around lens for its type. Its best range for best picture quality will be between 18-70mm, but it is still ok throughout. If you want to avoid high distortion, use slightly less wide angle- say around 20-24mm. If you want to avoid darkening of the picture corners, also reduce wide angle as above and/or don't use it wide open at f/3.5, instead f/5.6 or higher. For most pictures, these effects may not be noticeable. But with some scenes they will be. It does not, however, feature WR (Weather Resistant) construction as many other Pentax lenses do. But no zoom lenses of such a focal length range have this type of construction. The K-5 series bodies and all more recent Pentax DSLR bodies feature WR construction, so if some rain begins to fall, one can still shoot pictures. But without a WR lens this does not apply.

So you have a good lens, hopefully you'll soon have a good camera too!