Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D viewfinder glass?

Does anybody know where I can find a replacement glass for my K20d's viewfinder? I've pretty much exhausted my search parameters up to and including sending it away for $212.00.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It is probably the same part as the K10D, and possibly the same as the *ist D, DS or DS2. That doesn't help my search either. When I replaced the viewfinder on a K-r, I remember seeing whole assemblies, not the individual pieces. I ended up using the parts from a *ist DL, which were close enough. It's not a terrible DIY repair but you have to take off the bottom plate, back, then maybe even a side before you can get to the top plate. With all these parts hanging off, you finally get to the viewfinder stuff which is easy.
02-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You would have to pull one out of a junk K20D parts camera off ebay or something. Not sure on that specific part of the camera but in general DSLR's are an absolute nightmare to work on because of how they come apart and how many parts there are tangled together. If you couldn't fix it yourself its definitely junk.

I used to have a brick (K20D) and loved it, until I got my used K5, then I gave the K20D to a friend interested in photography for free along with a kit lens the next day.
Even the old (going on ancient) original K5 which can be had for almost nothing used now is ridiculously far ahead of the K20D. The two critical things I loved the best were that the K5 does high ISO so much cleaner that ISO 1600 on the K5 looked like ISO 400 on the K20D, and the extra external controls like the ISO button on the K5.
02-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #4

I've just looked at my own K20D. I can't tell whether the glass you need to replace is plain or is a lens. If it's a plain piece of glass, (does anybody know?) could you remove the broken pieces with tweezers then get a Pentax magnifying eyecup to cover the hole?

First get the bits out then see if you can still see the screen in focus; you've little to lose at this point. You might be able to tell if it's a lens or not by looking at the first few bits you get out. Even if it's plain, you might have to adjust the dioptre setting a bit for viewing with the magnifying eyecup. With the eyecup in place, you might want to weatherseal around it with some black silicone sealant or similar.

I have a K3 as well, but the brick is now set up as a manual focus camera with the magnifying eyecup and a Katzeye screen. It still does AF, though. Good luck.

02-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robot camera Quote
I've just looked at my own K20D. I can't tell whether the glass you need to replace is plain or is a lens. If it's a plain piece of glass, (does anybody know?) could you remove the broken pieces with tweezers then get a Pentax magnifying eyecup to cover the hole?
That's one of my main concerns and what would happen if I got glass inside the camera. I do know that there is another piece of glass behind the broken one. I can still see through it but it is a royal pain. I guess I'll keep searching.(at least it gives me something to do)