Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have nothing new to offer besides the good advice you have received, just reinforcement. Make sure the weight rating of the tripod and the head is well more than your heaviest camera/lens combination that you will use with it. Make sure it's as tall as you want. I would recommend an arca swiss type quick release system. If it doesn't look sturdy, it probably isn't. Like krazykat, one doesn't do it all for me, I have a large heavy Induro, a MeFoto Backpacker tripod, and an even smaller MeFoto Daytrip that I can use as a tabletop or to get really low, and I also have an even smaller thing called a Pedco UltraPod II that can fit into a large coat pocket. There are a lot of good tripods made by many different manufacturers. If you have a chance to get to a store and see them do so. You should be able to get something new in your price range, especially if you can find a closeout. If you buy used make sure you can test it out. Hopefully you can avoid the pitfall most of us made when we bought a cheap tripod that didn't turn out well. I can't complain much, I only spent $7 on that first cheap one. If you don't already have one, get a wireless remote to use with the tripod, the cheap ones on ebay work just fine. Good luck with your purchase, it's one accessory that can really improve your photography.

02-16-2018, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Just my two thoughts:

- also look at Sirui tripods. They are very affordable for the great quality they offer. I have one and could not be happier.
- a tripod is something you shouldn’t buy online but in a store. You have to see it, feel it and handle it with your camera attached. I originally chose a different one just from the specs but then decided to go to a store to try it. I then bought a different one than I had planned.

One more thought: don’t save money on a tripod, buy quality! I have a quote from a landscape photographer that I like to bring up in threads like yours: „You will probably buy five tripods in your lifetime. My advice is to skip one through four and buy number five.“

Last edited by alpheios; 02-16-2018 at 02:47 AM.
02-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #18

Original Poster
One more question guys, thank you for the helpful info so far,

If I want to optimize the settings on my k3 ii for daily use, do I make a thread here? or is there a thread made? I have no idea what I am doing. I this seems like a broad question at first, but for walk around the city and local nature spots, I am sure there are some good settings that people really who know that camera and arent complete novices could share with those of us who are just starting out.

I think that it would be a great idea, maybe someone has already came up with it, but I haven't been able to find anything.
02-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Infinite Ascension Quote

If I want to optimize the settings on my k3 ii for daily use, do I make a thread here?
Start a new thread/post; thatʻs going from an iceberg to Antarctica.

02-16-2018, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Definitely find a store and take your camera in and mount it on several tripods to see what you like and don't like. I have owned quite a few now and much prefer the control over three axes that a 3-way head gives over a ball head.
This is the best way to buy a tripod, without question! This is olde-fashioned, but you can get expert help and a good camera store will have many different models and types to choose from. There are many things ok to buy on line, but a tripod is not one of them, unless you already know what you want from experience.
02-16-2018, 01:40 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
This is the best way to buy a tripod, without question! This is olde-fashioned, but you can get expert help and a good camera store will have many different models and types to choose from. There are many things ok to buy on line, but a tripod is not one of them, unless you already know what you want from experience.
Totally agree IF there's a store with a good selection, decent prices, and knowledgable sales people in reasonable driving distance. For me, that's not an option because the local stores are not competitive, have a poor selection, and the brands they carry at Walmart or Target or Bestbuy are strictly "my-first-tripod" quality. The stuff any 'real' camera store would never stock.
02-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

currently looking at

Velbon neo carmagne 540 tripod with a

Bentro BH2 ball head
would this fit my dlsr and am I to understand that, that little knob thing is what im panning with?
It should fit, being a standard universal fitting for all SLR cameras and many point/shoot models as well. The only "knob thing" or lever shown is the latch lever to tighten the head, freezing it from any movement. The panning is via the inner ball rotating within its surrounding shell. The only panning with such a design is by holding the camera itself to move it as desired- not as convenient or effective as having a panning/tilt handle. When buying used, (not recommended) keep in mind the unknown factor of use and wear. These are moving parts and can weaken over time and use. The one shown "looks" ok, but only by physically testing it out will you have a good idea of its sturdiness. As for me, I prefer a design that also has secondary connecting arms and collar down in the middle between the legs. If you have a fair-sized camera store within traveling distance, by all means do drop in!

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-16-2018 at 01:58 PM.
02-16-2018, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Totally agree IF there's a store with a good selection, decent prices, and knowledgable sales people in reasonable driving distance. For me, that's not an option because the local stores are not competitive, have a poor selection, and the brands they carry at Walmart or Target or Bestbuy are strictly "my-first-tripod" quality. The stuff any 'real' camera store would never stock.
Understood. In a situation like that, i'd say show up at a popular tourist spot where there's a row of tripod wielding sunset shooters, and make friends and get them to show and tell. lol. Happens all the time on saturday mornings at the Golden Gate Bridge here...we can look and ask freely.
02-16-2018, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing to remember, Do not extend the center column for maximum stability. That said you need to buy one that's tall enough to shoot comfortably without raising the center column.
02-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tripods on sale.
mefoto price drop
149.00usd
MeFOTO RoadTrip Travel Tripod 5-section Aluminum Tripod with BallHead, Black A1350Q1K
03-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #26

Original Poster
Hi guys,

I appreciate everyone's tips.

Does anyone know of a K&F company? are they any good?

I am looking at

K&F Concept TC2534T Lightweight 72 Inch Carbon Fiber Tripod Monopod Travel Tripod with 360° Ball Head

It seems like a good choice to go with.

There is also this one which is a bit cheaper

Carbon Fiber Camera Tripod,K&F Concept 66" Compact Travel Tripod Monopod With 360 Degree Ball Head

Last edited by Infinite Ascension; 03-26-2018 at 01:17 PM.
03-26-2018, 01:05 PM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

this link leads you to information and user reviews of various tripods, monopods and heads

Tripods and Rigging - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

although a " specialty " tripod and head,

this system is getting " good press " here in the forums

Moman Mini Tripod - Greatest $30 Purchase in Last 5 Years!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/36082...#ixzz5At5VEsAV
03-26-2018, 04:56 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone know of a K&F company? are they any good?
First: Welcome!
Second: Please do not use colored fonts, it is extremely hard for many to read, especially on mobile
Third: I have never heard of K&F, but the tripod looks remarkably like the MeFoto line. You might want to look at those as well and compare. If K&F is a knock-off the quality might be lacking. but it might also be the same tripod but labeled with a different brand in a different country.
03-26-2018, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I purchased a Bogan 3033 tripod 25 years ago, I am still using it with my A*400 and K-3II. Purchase the best tripod ( and a gimbal head) you can afford for a telephoto lens, It will work for most photo opts unless you want to hike and backpack long distances. Then it is up to each person what they can endure. I have carried my cameras, lens and tripod and monopod on many 10 mile plus hikes. Yes , this it is not for everyone but I have never regretted lugging all this equiptment around when I get the 1 perfect image with the load that I will carry.
03-27-2018, 07:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Buy the best carbon fibre lightweight tripod that your budget allows, easy to carry distances. Also get a net bag that you can fill with stones and hang under the tripod temporarily to stabilise it if needed, a win win situation.