Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #1

Need help figuring out tripod and tripod head for k3 II

Hi guys, this is my first time posting here. Long time lurker.

I recently got my hands on a new pentax k3 II and Im starting to realize the importance of a good tripod.

I have no idea what I am looking for at all. I really do not have the time to go across town with my camera just to see if the seller has the tripod that fits me.

What sorts of things am I looking for and what can I ask the seller ahead of time to confirm whether or not the tripod will fit.

I am thinking of putting an ad kijiji or craigslist for a tripod but I need to know what I am looking for.

Thanks guys. Please keep the pentax brand alive. 6 months ago I shelled out $1500 on camera +couple of lenses, and now my model is discontinued, Im sad.

02-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The K-3 and II have been around for a long while now and some advancements have developed since. The K-70 and KP are more recent. We are expecting a K-3 II replacement fairly soon.

Unless you know the model tripod you are looking for, or the one advertised, I would not recommend getting one through craigslist. The fitting in the camera's bottom plate for a tripod is of standard size. The main quality to look for in a tripod is stability, then there is its weight if you intend to use it for hiking. The head should allow ease of use for attachment of the camera, and also good for vertical and horizontal convenient adjustment, as well as panning.
02-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might go to somewhere like BH Photo and look at many of the types and materials available. There is nearly no limit to what one can spend on a good tripod and a good head. I am using an old Bogen aluminum tripod that I have had for probably over 20 years. I did invest in a very good Markins ball head that I really enjoy. There are soooo many possibilities.
02-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Without you mentioning a budget there is little information we can provide. Price for a tripod is $5 to over $1,500.

This is what I use:
Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 with an Acratech GP ball head.

Is that right for you? Who knows. I will say that this is my 4th tripod. I bought a cheap one, and then bit better one, and then another one even better. And finally broke down and spent the money to actually get one that worked and that I will use for 20 years.

Buying used is just fine, just make sure whatever you get is rated at about twice the actual weight of the heaviest gear you ever dream of using. Both the sticks and the head.

02-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #5

I just picked up a 3 legged thing - Travis.
Excellent build, not too heavy and folds down fairly small.

https://www.3leggedthing.com/travis.html

Last edited by mnhoj; 02-15-2018 at 08:55 PM.
02-15-2018, 07:43 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Infinite Ascension Quote
Please keep the pentax brand alive. 6 months ago I shelled out $1500 on camera +couple of lenses, and now my model is discontinued, Im sad.
Why? My 2014 Toyota is discontinued as well. But it still runs just fine.
02-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Without you mentioning a budget there is little information we can provide. Price for a tripod is $5 to over $1,500.

This is what I use:
Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 with an Acratech GP ball head.

Is that right for you? Who knows. I will say that this is my 4th tripod. I bought a cheap one, and then bit better one, and then another one even better. And finally broke down and spent the money to actually get one that worked and that I will use for 20 years.

Buying used is just fine, just make sure whatever you get is rated at about twice the actual weight of the heaviest gear you ever dream of using. Both the sticks and the head.
I am looking to spend at most $200 CAD, on a good tripod that wont break.

So far I gather from responses is that it most will fit my dslr just fine right? So I just have to make sure its sufficiently sturdy right?

02-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The more sturdy the better.Depends on where you will be using it and what for? Hiking? Macro? Have a specific height requirement? Happy shopping.
02-15-2018, 08:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
The more sturdy the better.Depends on where you will be using it and what for? Hiking? Macro? Have a specific height requirement? Happy shopping.
Just as many shots as I can imagine, walking around the city, and woods and general nature shots as well.

I just need a decent all around tripod that will last awhile, I can get a used $400 for roughly half that right? And it would still be sturdy? Especially if its not really showing much signs of wear and tear.

Ideally it can be compact and extent for a good height. Im 6 1 doesnt make sense if I break my back so Id need it tall.
02-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #10

Definitely get one with a quick release plate. I have two main tripods... a heavy stable Giotos aluminum tripod when my car is close by and a smaller compact tripod for backpacking or airplane travel. My travel tripod is an old Quantaray tripod—now Sunpak, I think. I personally like panno heads instead of ball heads because I find it easier to make slight composition adjustments for landscape or studio shots.
02-15-2018, 09:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have four tripods and I use them all (probably not what you wanted to hear).

Tripod #1 - Big, heavy, sturdy - used for event photos where I'm trying to get everyone in the frame, lens calibrations, videos of the kids opening xmas presents etc.

Tripod #2 - Small, light, sturdy, expensive carbon-fibre tripod used for my K-1 when travelling.

Tripod #3 - Smaller, lighter, less sturdy, cheaper tripod used for my K-01 when I'm travelling light.

Tripod #4 - Tiny, used for my Q7 when I'm travelling super-light.

I guess there's two things I'm trying to say. One, it's important how you'll be using your tripod(s), and two, everyone probably has their own ideal tripod(s) setup.
02-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #12

Original Poster
currently looking at

Velbon neo carmagne 540 tripod with a

Bentro BH2 ball head
would this fit my dlsr and am I to understand that, that little knob thing is what im panning with?
02-15-2018, 10:00 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am looking to spend at most $200 CAD, on a good tripod that wont break.
Buying used is hit or miss: IF YOU have experience, youʻll know what to look for and whatʻs a good deal or a bad one. But as a first tripod, itʻs a gamble and you have to ask yourself why are they selling it?

For $200 CAD (or $160 USD) I have a few Iʻd recommend new:

MeFOTO RoadTrip Aluminum Travel Tripod $149 USD.
Pros? Arca-type quick release plate on a ball head, twist leg locks, 18 lbs. load capacity, 15"-62" min/max height, retractable spiked feet, hook on center column for additional weight, foam grips, comes in 7 colors (!), converts to monopod, weighs 3.6 lbs., limited 5-year warranty, and case with pockets and shoulder strap included.
MeFOTO RoadTrip Aluminum Travel Tripod Kit (Red) A1350Q1R B&H

Oben AT-3585 Folding Aluminum Travel Tripod with BC-226T Ball Head $150 USD: (on sale from $190)
Same as the MeFOTO but only in black, 27 lbs. load capacity, 8"-67" min/max height, weight 4.6 lbs.
Oben AT-3585 Folding Aluminum Travel Tripod AT-3585/BC-226T B&H

If I was in your shoes, and Iʻm not, I would spend just a bit over your budget to get this:

Davis & Sanford Traverse TR684C-36 Carbon Fiber Tripod with Dual Locking Ball Head $169 USD (on sale from $199):
Same as above but carbon fiber instead of aluminum (better weight to strength ratio, not burning hot or freezing cold like aluminum, transmits less vibrations, wonʻt bend), 9"-68" min/max height, weighs 4 lbs, the dual locking ball head allows you to lock the pan function separate from the ball movement which aids in shooting panoramas, and 10-year limited warranty.
Davis & Sanford Traverse TR684C-36 Carbon Fiber Tripod TR684C-36

Of course Gitzo and Novoflex are amongst the best, but even a silver spoon in your mouth wonʻt pay for one.

---------- Post added 02-15-18 at 11:06 PM ----------

currently looking at
Velbon neo carmagne 540 tripod with a
Bentro BH2 ball head
would this fit my dlsr and am I to understand that, that little knob thing is what im panning with?
My first tripods were Velbons and I liked them because they were affordable, and they were in the LA area, so every time it broke, theyʻd fix it for free as they used to have a lifetime warranty if you were the original owner. But after too many locks breaking and being inconvenienced with a broken tripod on a trip, I simply donʻt trust their products anymore. I need something that isnʻt going to be in the shop; even if itʻs a free repair.

Benro makes solid tripods and heads, and the ball head is ok. The knob is for locking down the ball movement. I prefer and recommend a ball head that has two locks; one for panning and one for the ball.
02-15-2018, 10:28 PM   #14
Closed Account

Hello IA, there are so many options you have, but if you narrow down your needs/wants, I think your choice of tripod may become easier. Things like maximum height, load capacity of head and legs, weight of the head and legs, how fine an adjustment you need to make with the head................etc. Also, the more segments the legs have USUALLY makes the tripod less sturdy. What type of photography do you want to do that requires the tripod? Are you planning on buying any heavy lenses in the future? Soooooooo many choices. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.
02-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Definitely find a store and take your camera in and mount it on several tripods to see what you like and don't like. I have owned quite a few now and much prefer the control over three axes that a 3-way head gives over a ball head.