Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #1

Pentax k-7 stop working when i press Live viev or want to shoot picture

Hi guys,
i bought my first one and i choose pentax k-7 cuz of his price i add to him smc 50mm M 1.7
I shoot like crazy 3 days, yestarday when i run out of battery i put battery to charge and went sleep.
Today morning im trying to shoot some but camera wont work as i said in topic when i press live vieve or i want to shoot i can hear some working noise inside the camera, after this i cant do anything ;o only working way to do something is to turn of battery and put in again, so when i turn it on again after removing battery the camera make noise like its took picture.

I have no idea whats happend during this one night, i find out also that before i was able only to set iso to 200 today i could put it on 100.

Any idea what could i do with this ?

Kris.
Have a nice day (sorry for my english)

02-19-2018, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be a dying battery, especially if it's the same age as the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Could be a dying battery, especially if it's the same age as the camera.
Battery is younger but i charge it fully and after 2h playing with camera trying to fix it, she is still full.
Im newbie in photography and rly have no idea what i can do maybe replace the camera software ? dunno
02-19-2018, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Issues like this are usually related to voltage, so my recommendation would be to try with another (brand new, OEM) battery. If there's something wrong with the camera itself, repairing it won't be economical. However, the K-5 and all future models in that line use the same batteries, so your money wouldn't go to waste.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
Eh but i spend all my money for this k 7 this camera have like 11k photo and it was in perfect condition (guy use it as his second body so almost never ) i try first to replace this battery and i post results here.
If it comes to repairing i will try to do it myslef cuz i have no other options
TY Adam for advise
GN
02-20-2018, 04:43 AM   #6

Original Poster
Name:  on.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  stuced.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  122.4 KB
I did software upgrade from version 1 too 1.13 on this same battery but it dosnt fix the problem
02-20-2018, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can't set ISO 100, that means you have chosen Dynamic Range Setting -> Highlight Correction. On my K-5, that is on page 3 of the Rec. Mode menu. The screen shows the ISO range for each setting. That might be related to the battery. The default setting is Off. Resetting the camera would turn it off.

The battery lasted through the firmware upgrade. It can't be that bad. I would try to clean the battery contacts anyway. Use a pencil eraser. The shutter is closed in your second shot. That's why live view doesn't work. It looks like the camera is taking a long exposure shot. The only idea I have is that you have set the shutter speed to 30 seconds instead of 1/30.

02-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
I could not put iso 100 before cuz it was in setting set on 200- 800 or smthg like this, when problem shows up i reset all settings and after this i was able to set iso too 100.
Battery cleaned gonna do test soon.

The 1st picture show what is going on after i turn on k7
Second one shows what is going on when i press LV or i want to shoot picture ( from this point i can do nothing only removing battery )

Shutter speed is ok its not the problem

Anyway TY Dave

---------- Post added 02-20-18 at 02:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The shutter is closed in your second shot. That's why live view doesn't work.
So where is the problem when i turn on LV, K7 is clsing shutter ? and thats why i cant see nothing ? and also i cant even shoot without LV so problem must be with some staff inside the camera.

Tomorrow i try to get new battery in town and do some more tests

PS. cant edit my post...
02-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hoze Quote
I could not put iso 100 before cuz it was in setting set on 200- 800 or smthg like this, when problem shows up i reset all settings and after this i was able to set iso too 100.
Battery cleaned gonna do test soon.

The 1st picture show what is going on after i turn on k7
Second one shows what is going on when i press LV or i want to shoot picture ( from this point i can do nothing only removing battery )

Shutter speed is ok its not the problem

Anyway TY Dave

---------- Post added 02-20-18 at 02:35 PM ----------

So where is the problem when i turn on LV, K7 is clsing shutter ? and thats why i cant see nothing ? and also i cant even shoot without LV so problem must be with some staff inside the camera.

Tomorrow i try to get new battery in town and do some more tests

PS. cant edit my post...
i add photo with setting
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
02-20-2018, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #10

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Seems you have the 2s delay active and telling it to fire the flash?
02-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #11

Original Poster
i was testing every option i got, the flash is not firing after i want to take picture, 2s delay work but after 2sec its stuck and nothing happend, look second picture above.
02-20-2018, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If the battery isn't the issue, could be a failed or failing shutter. Definitely test with another battery when you get the chance.

Adam

02-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
I nevera took a part a dslr so its look like first time will come soon hope this shutter is not so expensive, its possible to buy one ? or they have this staff only in japan ?
02-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If the battery isn't the issue, could be a failed or failing shutter. Definitely test with another battery when you get the chance.
Where is the dirfrence between failed or failing shutter? Is there any posibilyty to repair something ?

Yep, bad news
Today i replace battery and problem is still here
02-23-2018, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Hoze Quote
Where is the dirfrence between failed or failing shutter? Is there any posibilyty to repair something ?

Yep, bad news
Today i replace battery and problem is still here
Failing = works intermittently
Failed = doesn't work

Yes, the shutter could certainly be replaced. But, as I said earlier, doing so is probably not economical. You'd need to either talk to a service center, or get a donor body to replace the part yourself.

Adam