Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 12:43 AM   #46
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It is possible that I am a victim of Pentax marketing.
You're the only one I have ever heard of Dave! Even having been on the receiving end of Pentax marketing is pretty special.

Last edited by Des; 02-21-2018 at 04:01 AM.
02-21-2018, 07:07 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I couldn't agree more

The K-mount Zenitar-K2 50mm f/2 is also worth a look. The plastic build is a bit off-putting, and it doesn't have that lovely swirly bokeh... but it's a very, very sharp lens that renders beautifully, with nice contrast and colours. One of our other members described it as a real "sleeper" of a lens, and I'd agree... optically, it's really good
Is there any reason to switch off my SMC Pentax-M f1.7 50mm in favor of the Zenitar?
02-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a copy of the 50-200 WR and it's not awful but it's not great at near-infinity focus. It's great for objects that are close to the camera. I do really like the physical size of the thing, it's not bad to handle really, although at full extension the barrel doesn't feel very sturdy. I feel like there's just not a lot of reason to get one of these when 55-300's on the used market don't cost a lot more if you're talking about basic DA-L versions.
02-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #49
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Is there any reason to switch off my SMC Pentax-M f1.7 50mm in favor of the Zenitar?
Not really. The M50 f/1.7 is a classic lens... IMHO, one that every Pentaxian with an interest in manual lenses should own. If you find yourself wanting more than one 50mm lens, though, I'd recommend picking up the Zenitar. It's not better or worse - just different enough to add some variety

02-21-2018, 07:40 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I never buy cheap old zooms, I find cheap and old usually does a lot better as a prime.
I would normally agree. Then I tried an SP Adaptall...
02-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not really. The M50 f/1.7 is a classic lens... IMHO, one that every Pentaxian with an interest in manual lenses should own. If you find yourself wanting more than one 50mm lens, though, I'd recommend picking up the Zenitar. It's not better or worse - just different enough to add some variety
I agree with all of this but change out "the Zenitar" for "a Helios 44K-4". I'd pick something that's noticeably different instead of "also as good" to get a lens on the shelf.
02-21-2018, 07:54 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own more than 30 50mm lenses and I still don't own the Zenitar

I do own 3 M 50/1.7s though. I had a 4th but I sold it, the MC Sears 50/1.7 (Chinon) was just as good...the other 3 have come with various old bodies since.

02-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I own more than 30 50mm lenses and I still don't own the Zenitar

I do own 3 M 50/1.7s though. I had a 4th but I sold it, the MC Sears 50/1.7 (Chinon) was just as good...the other 3 have come with various old bodies since.
I have a couple 50mm (primes and zoom) - the Ricoh is pretty good, but I am planning on selling and keeping my Pentax 50mm prime. I don't think I'd get another 50mm prime unless:

1. I want to get an autofocus.
2. I find a (really really) good deal on one of the following:

SMC Pentax 50mm F1.4 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax 50mm F1.2 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax 50mm F4 Macro Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F4 Macro Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
02-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 50 1.8 is an excellent lens, offers full frame coverage*, focuses fast and accurately. It punches well over its weight. I can relate to interest in the F4 Macro's, but if I could have only one 50 for my kit, it'd be a DA 50 1.8. And that's actually where I plan on taking my kit.

I just checked prices for DA 50 1.8's on the bay of e's and they're available for well under $100. Go look it up. I think having an M lens to learn on is smart, your 50 1.7 is a good lens, but if you want to upgrade there's one stop to make from my point of view. My two cents, take it for what it's worth.

* - I think there's sometimes debate about the full frame coverage with this lens. I'm not trying to open that can of worms here. I hope nobody else does either.
02-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have 2 A 50/1.7s (I sold 1 in the past), a FA 50/1.7 (the 1 I use), and I have the K, M, & A 50/1.4s. The 1.2s are just too expensive...

I got the FA for $100 with a PZ-70 & Tamron 28-200 on Craigslist. I just had to drive 200 miles round trip to pick it up.
02-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
I have a couple 50mm (primes and zoom) - the Ricoh is pretty good, but I am planning on selling and keeping my Pentax 50mm prime. I don't think I'd get another 50mm prime unless:

1. I want to get an autofocus.
2. I find a (really really) good deal on one of the following:
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F4 Macro Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Since all of these manual focus lenses are no longer available new, it is entirely possible you may find them in great shape for under $100. The SMC-Pentax-M-50mm-F4-Macro lens I found on a local CL - with a bunch of others, for so cheap I wondered if it was any good at all. But after using it for just a couple of rolls of film, I quickly noticed how particularly sharp it was and wondered just how good it really is. Below is an example from Fuji RVP (original Velvia) scanned at 4000dpi.

Click for larger version Fuji RVP

I got curious just how high resolving and sharp is this lens that I setup controlled testing using my 14.6MP Pentax K20D as well as scans of Kodak Techpan.

Click for larger version SMC-Pentax-M-50mm-F4-Macro lens test

Clearly my 4000dpi scans of Kodak Techpan outresolve my K20D's sensor. To the far right, I optically zoomed in about 4.5X using my autobellows + 50mm f4 macro and you can see how much detail was actually captured on the film.

To take this a step further, I used a Nikon D800 to "scan" that frame of film and it still is not enough to fully resolve the details captured. Actually, not even close since it is about the res of my 4000dpi scans.

Click for larger version Kodak Techpan 04-27 scan compare

So if you need a high resolving macro lens, this is a good candidate to consider if the price is right for you. Unless there is something wrong with the copy you get, it will not be the reason you cannot resolve the finest details in the shots you take.

BTW, I also got the 100mm f4 macro and it is also an outstanding performer. Gives you more distance to your target.

---------- Post added 02-21-18 at 03:22 PM ----------

BTW, I did similar testing with the following lenses too. Of course I now know these are all limited by K20D's 14.6MP sensor in terms of resolution but it is a quick guide until I get around to assembling the Techpan shots I've done and/or perhaps using a K-1 to test with.

Click for larger version Pentax Primes+
02-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I skipped some posts so I may be repeating stuff.

Better to have one good lens than every lens on that list. Buying cheap is just a waste of money unless you get a kick out of trying sub par quality lenses.

Having come from film I still have some stuff that I kept for use with my old film cameras, but I consider green button metering to be an utter waste of time since there just aren’t any lenses made before automatic aperture that are worth the effort when compared to new stuff.
Even if you want all manual control an A series lens will allow you to meter normally and use the front and rear dials for aperture and shutter speed.

I do use my k135 f2.5 on my DSLR for astrophotography because its a good focal length, is fast and most importantly has unusually low distortion out to the edges for a lens from that era. But you really don’t meter when doing astrophotography.

I love manual focus but have gotten away from it on DSLR as well as time goes on. The types of focus screens and the worthlessly small view through an apsc viewfinder just isn’t made for it.

If you truly want to go cheap I would suggest the Pentax A35-105 f3.5 since it does that whole range well plus it’s reasonbly fast and has a way to shift to macro focus distance through its whole range.

Any variable aperture zoom made before the da series is junk, don’t bother. Some after that are pretty good but way out of your price range. I only tolerate my crappy FA series variable aperture zoom because it goes to 320mm and I haven’t saved up enough to replace it yet.

The only way to get over 210mm in any quality is to spend a lot.

The A24-50 f4 and the A70-210 f4 are a good combo for cheap, expect decent quality with some tolerable purple fringing common to that era.
To those I would add the A50 1.7 for speed and a 100mm macro for close.

Edit: the fa28-70 f4 also qualifies as decent cheap in my book if you want autofocus or shake reduction with a zoom. It was my main lens on my k5 until getting replaced with a dfa 24-70 f2.8
Just a reminder, shake reduction is kinda crappy on a manual focus zoom because you tell it one focal length and then you go and change it when you zoom making the sr less than perfect even with a middle number chosen.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 02-21-2018 at 03:13 PM.
02-21-2018, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
You're the only one I have ever heard of Dave! Even having been on the receiving end of Pentax marketing is pretty special.
I got a pen too!

They announced the open house on PentaxForums, so keep watching in case they market again.
02-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #59
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I got a pen too!
That might be more of a collector's item than some of the lenses listed.
01-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #60

Hi comunity my cosinon-w 28mm f 2.0 does not co-exist with my k-50, if someone is willing I will give him good hands
Attached Images