Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Deleting photos on K3

I'm using Windows Edge. It used to be when the SD card window opened, showing the photos to be uploaded to the computer; there was a box to check to delete the images after the upload. This option has disappeared!!

So, what is the quickest, best way to delete images from the SD card?

Thanks!

02-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If you don't want to keep any of them on the card, just format in camera.
02-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Reformat the card in the camera.

Constantly deleting some images, adding some images, deleting some images, adding some images will degrade card performance and can create a risk of data loss.

P.S. I keep a stack of SD cards, putting used/transferred cards on the bottom of the stack, and taking card off the top of the stack and formatting it then. That usually ensures that I've had time to review the images on the computer, make back-ups, etc. before I reformat the card.
02-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys, that's what I'll do. Good to know!

It's really upsetting when Windows changes something without your knowledge, and there's no way to get it back. There had been no recent updates, etc., to cause this to change.

Last edited by csa; 02-20-2018 at 10:28 AM.
02-20-2018, 11:24 AM - 7 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Thanks guys, that's what I'll do. Good to know!

It's really upsetting when Windows changes something without your knowledge, and there's no way to get it back. There had been no recent updates, etc., to cause this to change.
Some day when all the Windows 10 Update guys are at work, I want to go to the employee parking lot, move half the cars to another lot, change the locks on some others, paint some cars a different color and replace all the Hondas with Toyotas.
02-20-2018, 11:31 AM - 2 Likes   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm sure a bunch of us would be willing to help you!
02-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Some day when all the Windows 10 Update guys are at work, I want to go to the employee parking lot, move half the cars to another lot, change the locks on some others, paint some cars a different color and replace all the Hondas with Toyotas.
Yes! And make sure their cars slow down to 10 miles per hour when they are driving on the highway and the car decides it's time for an update.

02-20-2018, 12:02 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yes! And make sure their cars slow down to 10 miles per hour when they are driving on the highway and the car decides it's time for an update.
No - have them absolutely stop for anywhere from 1 to 60 minutes!! I hate Windows updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially when it decides to do them on its own schedule and locks up the computer.
02-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Also add a mysterious box so that as the cars age they get significantly slower no matter what you do for maintenance. I still won't switch to Apple though. I right click in Apple and nothing happens, or very little anyway. I just don't find them intuitive.
02-20-2018, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Don't forget to reprogram the garage door openers.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-20-2018 at 01:01 PM.
02-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #11

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
I still won't switch to Apple though. I right click in Apple and nothing happens, or very little anyway. I just don't find them intuitive.
I also swore I'd never switch to Apple, but the last time I needed my laptop for a meeting I had updated it earlier in the day and figured all was good. I showed up to the meeting and without even asking if now was a good time, it proceeded to go through yet another update. It took the better part of an hour and caused all kinds of grief because I couldn't access what I needed for the meeting. I started saving for an iMac and bought a 27" model a few months later. Since then I have completely switched to an all Apple house. It does have a bit of a learning curve but I do like some of the intuitive things it does and the best part - it never does an update without asking permission first. I don't miss Windows at all.

I'd be right there with you all in the Microsoft parking lot making those adjustments.
02-20-2018, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

for some reason I think this thread got hijacked

not sure though
02-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #13

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
for some reason I think this thread got hijacked

not sure though
Whoops I contributed to that.

To get it back on track - I do something similar to photoptimist, I have a case that I keep my cards in and when I am ready to delete the entire card I do it in the camera and mark the card as blank. I also try and keep 1 spare in the K-3 so that if I get caught with a full card it will go on into the spare card. In my grip I keep the flu card so if I'm really desperate there is room there too.
02-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I am lucky enough to have a brick and mortar photography shop here in Topeka

Wolfe's Camera | Photo Superstore in Topeka Kansas

they have told me that they can recover data from damaged SD cards but the kicker is that they recover all of the data and charge by the image

so if I had data from weeks ago on the card but only need the latest data, I would pay for stuff I didn't want

so they advise, and I follow the advice, to reformat my sd card after having downloaded the card to the computer

I only reformat by using my camera, not the computer
02-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'm using Windows Edge. It used to be when the SD card window opened, showing the photos to be uploaded to the computer; there was a box to check to delete the images after the upload. This option has disappeared!!

So, what is the quickest, best way to delete images from the SD card?

Thanks!
I use Faststone to review the pictures and delite those I do not want.
Then I download the pictures and back up the pictures to another HD. Then i format SD card in the camera.