Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
Broadfield

Firmware updates on a Macintosh

I'm trying to update the firmware on my K1 and K3 cameras and follow the guidance on the web but when I switch on the cameras, holding the menu button as required, the cameras just with on as normal?
I have formatted the SD card, copied the downloaded file, not into the DCIM folder all to no avail.
Any ideas??

02-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This video shows the process on a mac:
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

The general process is pretty much the same on any OS, you just have to make sure the right file ends up in the right place.

It sounds like you may have skipped the extraction of the zip. When done correctly, there should be a .BIN file in the root of the SD card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-24-2018, 03:12 AM   #3
Broadfield

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This video shows the process on a mac:
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

The general process is pretty much the same on any OS, you just have to make sure the right file ends up in the right place.

It sounds like you may have skipped the extraction of the zip. When done correctly, there should be a .BIN file in the root of the SD card.
Thanks; I did watch the video and I followed it. The file I get is fwdc228b.bin but on a quick look on the Mac it shows it as zipped. The web guidance says the file is self-extracting... I copy said file to the SD card but to no effect.
Any further ideas?
Thanks,
Broadfield.
02-24-2018, 03:32 AM   #4
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Broadfield. Here are 2 screenshots of what you should see on you computer. Please try this. Click on the zipped file to open it up, and you should see the bin file. With your formatted SD card inserted in the computer, it will be showing up as a device, drag the bin file to the SD card, put the card in SLOT 1 ( SLOT 1 for both the K-1 & the K-3 ) and you should be ready to go. Good luck.

PS. Only the K-3 is shown, but the same procedure for the K-1. Make sure your battery is fully charged, and don't turn off the camera during the download.

Attached Images

Last edited by pjv; 02-24-2018 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Add PS.
02-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Broadfield Quote
Thanks; I did watch the video and I followed it. The file I get is fwdc228b.bin but on a quick look on the Mac it shows it as zipped. The web guidance says the file is self-extracting... I copy said file to the SD card but to no effect.
Any further ideas?
Thanks,
Broadfield.
You'll need to extract it, probably by clicking on it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Broadfield Quote
I'm trying to update the firmware on my K1 and K3 cameras and follow the guidance on the web but when I switch on the cameras, holding the menu button as required, the cameras just with on as normal?
I have formatted the SD card, copied the downloaded file, not into the DCIM folder all to no avail.
Any ideas??
I just updated my K-3 yesterday on my MacBook Pro with no problem. These are the steps that I took: downloaded the update to my Download folder; formatted SD card in camera and inserted into slot on laptop; opened the Download folder and dragged the file to the SD card icon on the desktop; ejected SD card and inserted back in Slot 1 in the camera; turned on camera while depressing Menu button; when message appeared on rear LCD, followed instructions. The camera shut down at the end of the process after briefly displaying "Completed". Turn the camera off, then turn it back on and format the SD card.

Make absolutely certain that you have a fully charged battery. This was one of the longest firmware updates that I've done!!!

PS - I did not extract the file. I found that process, for some reason, does not work for the K-3, K-50, and K-70 on my MacBook. Drag the complete file over and you should have success!

Last edited by rickmayberry; 02-24-2018 at 01:32 PM. Reason: clarification
02-25-2018, 06:49 AM   #7
Broadfield

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Broadfield. Here are 2 screenshots of what you should see on you computer. Please try this. Click on the zipped file to open it up, and you should see the bin file. With your formatted SD card inserted in the computer, it will be showing up as a device, drag the bin file to the SD card, put the card in SLOT 1 ( SLOT 1 for both the K-1 & the K-3 ) and you should be ready to go. Good luck.

PS. Only the K-3 is shown, but the same procedure for the K-1. Make sure your battery is fully charged, and don't turn off the camera during the download.
Thanks for the suggestion but that didn't work either. I think the problem is that the Mac software is not unzipping the bin file. I can see the bin file but when you use the "quick look" command it is a compressed file, and if you double click it you still get a compressed file but with a different suffix. Do I need to use "Winzip" or something like it to open the downloaded file?
02-25-2018, 08:31 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Broadfield

Thanks to those who replied - delighted to report success! I used Google Chrome to download the firmware files and then used some free software call the "Unarchiver" to decompress the downloaded .zip file. I then dragged the opened file to the SD card, put it in the camera and "bingo!"