Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Totally lost understanding the new Lenses......

I am an old Pentax film guy that gradually moved to digital. All my understanding of wide and telephoto lenses comes from the film days.
I had a K200D for years and just got a K3-II to shoot sports photos.

That was relatively painless and I just used the 80-200 for sports, but then I started looking for a lens or two to take on day hikes/outdoos and one to walk around with/leave on the camera. Maybe a wider wide angle lens for landscapes and a walking around lens I always leave on the camera, suddenly all the equivalents and FF stuff is really confusing me. Considering I just spent a lot on the K3-II the K1 isn't in my future any time soon, but would hate to waste money on a lens that won't work well in the future. That is the reason why we all love Pentax !!! :-)

Here are the lens I have gotten over the years, are there any lens I should try and get to cover the gaps due to the old film lenses being different on the K3-II?

I have....

SMC-FA 24mm f2.0 (got for indoors)
SMC-FA 20-35 (used to be my wide angle lens)
SMC-FA 28-70 f4 (my old kit lens, seems to be a good copy)
SMC FA-80-200 f2.8 (too heavy to walk around with, use for Football)
SMC-F 300mm f4.5 (Use with a 1.4 teleconverter)
SMC-A 400mm f5.6 (don't use much, but was my first quality lens)

I also have a SMC-F 80-210 that really seems clunky and I just don't like it :-) I'd like to replace that with something to walk around/leave on the camera with and maybe one other wide lens that will be good in the future. Maybe the lenses I have already cover it?

Its just the more reviews and comments I read, the more I realize I don''t understand the new lenses and all the new FF vs the k3-II camera I have.

02-23-2018, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From another "old film guy". Why not have a look at the SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Read more at: Pentax DA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database.
This is a very good walk around lens and it's weather sealed.
02-23-2018, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have an excellent set of lenses there! The only gap is at the wide end. Keep in mind that on the K-3II (or any APS-C sensor camera) you need about a 14mm lens to provide the same field of view as you were used to on your film camera with your 20mm FA 20-35.

So my recommendation would be to look at one of the DA zoom lenses for general use. Such as the DA 16-85 or the DA 18-135. Either will cover that range for you. However, if you find the FA 20-35 is wide enough for you on the K-3II then don't bother, I think you are good.
02-23-2018, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mapguy Quote
I am an old Pentax film guy that gradually moved to digital. All my understanding of wide and telephoto lenses comes from the film days.
I had a K200D for years and just got a K3-II to shoot sports photos.

That was relatively painless and I just used the 80-200 for sports, but then I started looking for a lens or two to take on day hikes/outdoos and one to walk around with/leave on the camera. Maybe a wider wide angle lens for landscapes and a walking around lens I always leave on the camera, suddenly all the equivalents and FF stuff is really confusing me. Considering I just spent a lot on the K3-II the K1 isn't in my future any time soon, but would hate to waste money on a lens that won't work well in the future. That is the reason why we all love Pentax !!! :-)

Here are the lens I have gotten over the years, are there any lens I should try and get to cover the gaps due to the old film lenses being different on the K3-II?

I have....

SMC-FA 24mm f2.0 (got for indoors)
SMC-FA 20-35 (used to be my wide angle lens)
SMC-FA 28-70 f4 (my old kit lens, seems to be a good copy)
SMC FA-80-200 f2.8 (too heavy to walk around with, use for Football)
SMC-F 300mm f4.5 (Use with a 1.4 teleconverter)
SMC-A 400mm f5.6 (don't use much, but was my first quality lens)

I also have a SMC-F 80-210 that really seems clunky and I just don't like it :-) I'd like to replace that with something to walk around/leave on the camera with and maybe one other wide lens that will be good in the future. Maybe the lenses I have already cover it?

Its just the more reviews and comments I read, the more I realize I don''t understand the new lenses and all the new FF vs the k3-II camera I have.
Time to add some "D's" to your lens lineup

Actually Pentax's lineups are quite simple. The DA line is specifically designed for APS-C cameras, while the D FA line is essentially a modernization of F and FA lines to continue full-frame support into the digital era. Feature-wise you won't be able to tell a difference when it comes to the basics: all four offer automatic aperture and autofocus.

I would pick up the DA 16-85mm as your new walkaround lens:

HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

This would replace your 20-35mm (you can sell it if you don't plan to ever go full frame) and 28-70mm, which aren't nearly as useful on APS-C because of the narrow field of view at the wide end.

You can keep the 80-200mm if you value the image quality, or swap it for the much lighter 55-300mm PLM if you want really fast autofocus and don't mind the slower aperture. This could also be a direct replacement for your F 70-210mm:

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

If you're looking for a wide lens recommendation, IMO it's hard to resist the 15mm Limited:

Pentax-DA 15mm F4 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I would hang on to the 300mm and 400mm lenses, though the latter might not be as useful since you have the teleconverter.

If you want to understand the different Pentax lens mounts/series in detail, check out these articles:
The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

another resource which you might want to review

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

"Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.

Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering. "

once you decide what you are interested in, should you want an " experienced " lens instead of new, check out the forum's marketplace - " buy/sell "

since you live in the US you could rent lenses for a personal try out before deciding what to look for

I know of 2 companies

LensRental.com and Borrowlenses.com

I have had success with LensRental and not tried Borrowlenses

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-23-2018 at 09:57 AM.
02-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I also have a SMC-F 70-210 that really seems clunky and I just don't like it :-) I'd like to replace that with something to walk around/leave on the camera with and maybe one other wide lens that will be good in the future.
The 55-300 is your answer to replace your 70-210 & 80-200 . Much wider spectrum 55mm - 300mm comes in 3 or 4 different prices and Specs. I have the HD WR screw drive and swear buy it. More expensive PLM WR drive is quieter but all of the models have very similar optics and photo results. Also there is the Kit Lense SMC 50-200mm WR which is very light as well with a little wider end than your current Lenses. Check out the weights of each in the reviews compared to what you have now.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 05-29-2018 at 10:11 AM.
02-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
The 55-300 is your answer to replace your 80-210 & 80-200 . Much wider spectrum 55mm - 300mm comes in 3 or 4 different prices and Specs. I have the HD WR screw drive and swear buy it. More expensive PLM WR drive is quieter but all of the models have very similar optics and photo results. Also there is the Kit Lense SMC 50-200mm WR which is very light as well with a little wider end than your current Lenses. Check out the weights of each in the reviews compared to what you have now.
SMC 50-200mm WR Kit lens (Least costly of all)

Last edited by honey bo bo; 05-29-2018 at 10:11 AM.
02-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For a one-lens walkaround for APS-C, I recommend the dA16-85. If your budget is tight, a used Sigma 17-70 is my second choice.
02-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
DA 16-85mm is an excellent all around lens, and would shine on your K3 but unfortunately it's not FF lens (if you ever move to K1).
02-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all those replies, a lot to go through.

It does pain me to know the SMC-FA 24mm is just a 35mm now, but i still love the lens. I realize not everyone swears by it like they used to.

It might make sense to look for a small prime 15mm for when I want to go wider.

Ill look at all those zoom options, I will always keep the 80-200 f2.8, but just want to learn the new camera and have a lens I can leave on it so I can just play with it and take more pictures.

I always feel foolish when I take the 80-200 f2.8 out at a HS foot ball game and everyone thinks I am a pro photographer, they have no idea how thats not the case :-)
02-23-2018, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
From another "old film guy". Why not have a look at the SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Read more at: Pentax DA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database.
This is a very good walk around lens and it's weather sealed.
+1
Aslo see DA 18-135 WR, Show us what it can do - Page 151 - PentaxForums.com

As far as I can tell, the 18-135 is more popular among outdoor open spaces type shooters where the extra reach is useful. Tha DA 16-85 is more used by urban shooters, who more often need wider than more reach.

Coupled with your 80-200 2.8 the 16-85 is the more appropriate lens. On it's own, I take the 18-135. My biggest disappointment with the K-1 is there is no 18-135 equivalent. I own an FA 28-200 which should be the same except the IQ is somewhat lacking when you start pixel peeping.
02-23-2018, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for all those replies, a lot to go through.

It does pain me to know the SMC-FA 24mm is just a 35mm now, but i still love the lens. I realize not everyone swears by it like they used to.
Here's a tip, Mapguy.

Amongst knowing K-1 users, the FA*24 and FA20-35 are quietly sought after. I have the latter myself.

By putting them on the market you might get more than you paid for them, or at the very least make someone very happy.

Last edited by clackers; 02-23-2018 at 12:52 PM.
02-23-2018, 12:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are two long discussions in the lens forum, one for the 18-135, one for the 16-85:

DA 18-135 WR, Show us what it can do - PentaxForums.com

DA 16-85 WR,show us what it can do. - PentaxForums.com

The first thread covers six years of a popular lens so you probably don't have to read them all to get the idea. Second thread is only 3 years.

I just got the 18-135 used for ~$200 and I'm taking it to Hawai'i tomorrow. The 16-85 has not been out as long and has always been a little more expensive, so you'll pay more for it. Those two sound like what you describe to me.
02-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I just got the 18-135 used for ~$200 and I'm taking it to Hawai'i tomorrow.
Have a good trip!. You won't regret the lens choice and maybe we can see you in the 'show us what it can do' thread in future.
02-23-2018, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Here's a tip, Mapguy.

Amongst knowing K-1 users, the FA*24 and FA20-35 are sought after. I have the latter myself.

By putting them on the market you might get more than you paid for them, or at the very least make someone very happy.
to get some info on the Pentax * lenses, you might want to look at this thread

Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com