Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #1

how to identify a full frame lens

I tried searching but couldn't find anything. how can I tell if a lens is full frame or not? I searched for the lens I bought (Quantaray 28-90mm) and didn't find the answer. Is there a visible difference?

thanks!

Matt

02-23-2018, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it’s old, it is almost certainly full frame.

In Pentax labeling, DA lenses are not meant for full frame (though they often work fine), the others (K,M,A,F,FA, and DFA) are. Have a look at the lens section of the forum for a full explanation.

There will be a few exceptions in other brands, like the Quantaray you mention, but generally if it is older than about 2004, it is for full frame.

Some focal lengths are also almost exclusively full frame. Almost anything that is 28-something or 35-something is full frame.

APS format lenses will more likely be 18-something...

I’d suggest a bit of time wandering through the lens reviews here to see differences...

-Eric
02-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for the reply, this is the lens in question. Sorry I'm new to this. Quantaray 28-90mm f3.5-5.6 version 5 Lens Reviews - Quantaray Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
02-23-2018, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks to be a modification of an old 28-80, which was a classic kit lens in the late film era.

I'd say it almost certainly covers the full 36x24 frame.

Do you have access to an old film body you can check it on?

02-23-2018, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

hope this helps

for Pentax at least, this explains all those " secret " initials and markings found on the lenses and in the lens' name

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

" In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01. . . . "

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-23-2018 at 04:28 PM.
02-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It looks to be a modification of an old 28-80, which was a classic kit lens in the late film era.

I'd say it almost certainly covers the full 36x24 frame.

Do you have access to an old film body you can check it on?
I think my nephew might have an old pentax, thanks

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 05:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
for Pentax at least, this explains all those " secret " initials and markings found on the lenses and in the lens' name

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

" In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01. . . . "
awesome, thank you
02-23-2018, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gomango420 Quote
I think my nephew might have an old pentax, thanks

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 05:29 PM ----------

awesome, thank you
you are welcome

but the thanks belongs to the guy who created the charts, not me

I just placed them into my book marks once I found them and pass them on when i think they might be helpful

02-23-2018, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma uses DG to indicate a FF lens. DC is APS-C.

Tamron uses Di to indicate a FF lens. Di II is APS-C & Di III is m4/3.

The Quantaray 28-90 is related to the Sigma 28-80 II Macro (It is a film era lens so it isn't designated DG). It is 10mm longer and has 1 extra aperture blade...

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-23-2018 at 04:39 PM.
02-23-2018, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Sigma uses DG to indicate a FF lens. DC is APS-C.

Tamron uses Di to indicate a FF lens. Di II is APS-C & Di III is m4/3.

The Quantaray 28-90 is related to the Sigma 28-80 DG. It is 10mm longer and has 1 extra aperture blade...
good to know, thanks

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 05:39 PM ----------

thanks everyone! you guys are great! thank you again!

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 05:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
you are welcome

but the thanks belongs to the guy who created the charts, not me

I just placed them into my book marks once I found them and pass them on when i think they might be helpful
you showed me the way and that deserves a thanks
02-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Even though the "crop" (APS) format originated on 35mm film, I think every lens made in the film era for Pentax 35 mm SLR cameras was designed for the 36x24mm ("full") frame. APS was used mostly on non-interchangeable lens, point-and-shoot camers. APS (Advanced Photo System) was developed for film cameras, whereby the body recorded data other than the image onto part of the 36x24mm frame, leaving only 25mm x 17mm for recording the image.

Apparently Minolta and Nikon had APS interchangeable lens cameras with lenses designed with the smaller image circle.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 02-23-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: correction
02-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #11
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have not had to worry about FF because I don't have a FF DSLR. As others have said, older lenses almost certainly will cover FF. But I have checked coverage for the Q, mainly out of curiosity (or maybe Q-riosity) to see what image circle a lens actually produced. I use a piece of card with a grid drawn on it and tape it to the wall. Then I just read the diameter of the focused image projected through the back of the lens onto the card. Holding the lens still enough is the main challenge. Not particularly scientific but it would certainly tell you if a lens gave FF coverage.
02-23-2018, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Even though the "crop" (APS) format originated on 35mm film, I think every lens made in the film era for Pentax 35 mm SLR cameras was designed for the 36x24mm ("full") frame. APS was used mostly on non-interchangeable lens, point-and-shoot camers. APS (Advanced Photo System) was developed for film cameras, whereby the body recorded data other than the image onto part of the 36x24mm frame, leaving only 25mm x 17mm for recording the image.

Apparently Minolta and Nikon had APS interchangeable lens cameras with lenses designed with the smaller image circle.
Advanced Photo System (APS) was (is?) a completely different film format from 35mm.
In addition to being physically smaller than 35mm, it had a magnetic strip on the back of the film. That's where the data were stored.

Minolta and Nikon did, indeed, make SLRs for it, as did Canon, and the 'classic' aspect ratio is where the APS-C digital description comes from...

Pentax only had a couple of point-and-shoots that did APS-C, so nothing of that vintage that is Pentax-compatible would not be full-frame...

Here's the Wikipedia article... Advanced Photo System - Wikipedia

-Eric
02-24-2018, 03:30 AM   #13
UMC

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
... The Quantaray 28-90 is related to the Sigma 28-80 II Macro (It is a film era lens so it isn't designated DG). It is 10mm longer and has 1 extra aperture blade...
To be precise, the 2 Variants of the "Quantaray for Pentax AF 28-90mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro Multi-Coated" with and without Macro apparently are identical to the "Sigma Zoom 28-90mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro" (also available with and without Macro). The Sigma Macro version exists in 3 marginally different variations (the only obvious difference is the inscription on the front ring).

Wheter or not the design of this lens is derived from 1 dozen of 28-80 3.5-5.6 variants that Sigma has made over the years, I cannot tell.
02-24-2018, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gomango420 Quote
I tried searching but couldn't find anything. how can I tell if a lens is full frame or not? I searched for the lens I bought (Quantaray 28-90mm) and didn't find the answer. Is there a visible difference?

thanks!

Matt
Hi,
I am not at home at the moment but when I get home next Thursday I can post how to identity Sigma APSC full frame lens as I have their catalogues.
Regards.
02-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,
I am not at home at the moment but when I get home next Thursday I can post how to identity Sigma APSC full frame lens as I have their catalogues.
Regards.
Gordon, if it's a film era lens, it's FF, if it's a newer one marked 'DG" it's FF ... that's Sigma.