Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Thanks for the tip. I had no problem getting confirmation with my Irix. I just wasn't half-depressing my shutter button.
Terry
Glad it turned out to be something simple and not the camera needing service.

02-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Menu>Camera>5>Button Customization
AF Button>AF2

This separates the focusing function from the shutter function. I greatly prefer it, though it takes a little practice if you are used to focusing with the shutter button. When using a tripod especially because you may want to focus once and then take multiple images without changing the focus. Focus on the shutter button makes that difficult as the camera will try to re-focus.

For manual lenses you can leave the camera in AF and press and hold the rear AF button while turning the focusing ring until you get the confirmation beep. Be aware that the focusing confirmation beep is close but not always precise so do not trust it 100% when fine focusing is needed.
02-24-2018, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by catfishjohn Quote
K1 menu, C, 4, 24 set catch in focus to "on"

Catch in focus and focus confirmation are two different functions. Catch in focus does not need to b activated for focus confirmation to work.

Anyway, I'm glad the OP found the solution to his problem.
08-19-2021, 02:35 AM   #19

Hi guys, having problem with Helios 77 lens on K1 which worked perfectly on K5 before in regards of focus confirmation beep and red light in the viewfinder. Should I try to remove that black anodizing layer from the back of the lens, or try another trick? Tried all above, auto, manual, using AF button, center point focus only - nothing works.

Need to tell that originally M42, this Helios screwed in the trimmed M42 to K cheap ring adapter (took the back 3mm of metal off to reach infinity), so this is actual lens touching body contacts, not the adapter itself. Thanks

08-19-2021, 07:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I find back button focusing to be more effective. There's no concern of accidentally squeezing off a shot early. I changed it to this years ago and never looked back; it's a good tip. Keep in mind that we still wake up the meter with a half press, so it doesn't obviate using it entirely.

You shouldn't need any contacts present or exposed between the camera and lens to get the AF beep. The camera needs to be set in the AF mode you want to use, but it should work with anything in that state.

To use an AF lens manually while still using the AF confirmation beep you could try taping the data contact - or all of the contacts - between your lens and camera. I use electrical tape for this. You will lose the functionality relating to the pins you insulate, but if you can live without those aspects it will provide the beep while disabling the AF drive.

If in future you want to short contacts while using a black anodized lens mount, another method is to gently sand the anodizing off with a fine silica sandpaper. I'd do this well away from my other kit, and I scrupulously cleaned my extension tubes when I did it to them, worrying about dust. It's a permanent solution and it reduces the possibility of a bit of tin foil or some other conductor finding its way into your camera.

I've been thinking about this AF issue recently from another angle. If a person asked me if I use AF, and I am using the AF confirmation with a manual lens, am I still using AF? I do this a lot with my Irix macro lens. It works really well for stuff like butterflies. I'd have to say yes, I'm still using AF, but I guess it depends on how heavily I choose to rely on it.

Last edited by Philoslothical; 08-19-2021 at 07:17 PM.