Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pixie dust

Hello,
I just purchased the 3 FA limited lenses, but haven't had a chance to use them. What do people mean by pixie dust?
Thank you,
Terry

02-24-2018, 11:04 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use them and you will soon see.
02-24-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

is there actual " pixie dust "

Rendering and Pixie Dust - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

The Official Pentax Forums "Pixie Dust" Lens List - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

or is it like beauty - in the eye of the beholder

I don't know

however there is a difference between " limiteds "

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com

and " * lenses "

Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

and the rest

I think
02-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The three amigos can produce magical images for which the engineering explanation is about as concrete as pixie dust. So it's a term for magic...
Instead of ED, AL, SD, LRI etc. these lenses have pixie dust.

You'll soon see, but don't expect miracles in bad lighting etc.

Fun, Fun!

02-24-2018, 11:15 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The legend of lens 'pixie dust' is revealed only to those who use certain Pentax lenses. Through the ages, Pentax has sprinkled the magical ingredient on many of its lenses, but especially liberally on the FA Limiteds - the images taken with these lenses transcend their mere technical specifications. The legend further describes hypnotic effects that are experienced by Pentax photographers when gazing at the dusted images.

As @jbinpg says, "Use them and you will soon see."

Enjoy.
02-24-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I understand completely, now. Thank you all.
Terry
02-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My first limited was the 43, which I got only because of good reviews and a good deal. I was very skeptical about it, to be honest. Boy, was I surprised... It does produce 3d images... Aside from that, the photos just look good, don't know how to explain it.

02-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The 31 and 77 limiteds have pixies living in them. They produce magical images.
The 43 limited on the hand has pixies tripping on acid! Sometimes the images are terrible and other times they are out of this world! The 43s 3D pop effect is most apparent when stoped down 2.8-5.6. You actually want to have the subject fully in focus while the backgrounds is somewhat recognisable. It was designed as a photojournalism lens, not a portraiture lens.
The 43ltd can still take nice photos at F1.9
02-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
What do people mean by pixie dust?
An undocumented fine quality that certain Pentax lenses possess...
02-24-2018, 04:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pixie dust? Well, how about a combination of microcontrast or "pop", character, realistic depth rendering, and lively memorial colours that is hard to measure (for the ...baters), but somehow, for no particular reason, produces exceptionally satisfying images?
02-24-2018, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Opinions may vary but I will share my view and maybe offer a general tip or two. The lenses---you will have a hard time beating all 3 of the amigos. They are every bit up with Canon L lenses. Probably about the only ones that could do better would be some of the Leica glass that will set you back a whole lot of cash.

The pixies though, they have to be woken up. My opinion about why these lenses are so good is not THAT they handle light, but HOW they handle light. For example we all know that light is made up of various spectrums of color. I have an older non Pentax lens that I use and in it's wild state the pictures come back with a mildly cool blue tint to them. It's easily fixed in post processing but it caused me a light bulb moment. Some types of glass will filter out certain spectrums and so on and so forth.

The real trick is to learn what constitutes 'good light'. This is easier said than done. It often takes years of practice. By good light I don't mean just 'a lot of light'. The quality of what the light is what matters. You will be feeling around in the dark a bit trying to figure it out for a while, but keep on trying. Every now and then you will hit the magic button and it's gonna be on from there.

I've said it on other threads too, but it's worth repeating. Don't look just at how the light hits your subject, but also what is in the background. When you look through the view finder check the edges of the frame. Be observant. Anything bright will be 3x as bright when you get it home. Things that are dark will be 3x as dark as well. Its just the nature of how cameras work.

Good light can mean so many things, but that's something for you to study. Once you learn how to see it and figure out how to coordinate it all into a shot you will wind up with 10x better shots. Now throw into the mix that your FA Limiteds add just that much more juu juu to the mix and people will be going 'wow' at your shots.