Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Matrix option won't come up without a lens mounted on the camera...maybe?

02-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I'm not sure how matrix metering would help at all. I only use spot metering so I know exactly where I'm measuring the light and then I manually set the aperture and shutter speed. Since you're using center AF point, spot metering makes even more sense.

Looking at your photos, I'm not sure how you could do better with any other lens and those settings and the lighting. The harsh lighting in the sky isn't helping. Digitalis' photo has an overcast sky. I rarely shoot outside unless it's cloudy, and at the right times of day. The first photo looks great, but it's a boring subject. As mentioned above by someone else, take a photo of an interesting subject and I think you'll be much happier.

Matrix metering is indicated by the green icon just to the left of "AF.S" in this photo (not mine, got it from Google Images).
02-24-2018, 04:58 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
What should I set it on, Peter? I couldn't find matrix metering like Adam suggested. I looked in the manual. The camera gave me 3 settings, but would only let me use the bottom two. it was on spot, but it always has been. This is making me feel like throwing them in the trash can.

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 04:41 PM ----------

I can't find matrix. Where is it, exactly? I'll do it right now.
Terry

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 04:43 PM ----------

That is absolutely beautiful!
Terry
On K-1, hold down the button next to Live View (upper left shoulder rear side below the Mode Dial) and Scroll the rear e-Dial until the indicator on the LCD is fully green*

* Ignore the man behind the curtain. monochrome did not post this.
02-24-2018, 04:58 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Matrix option won't come up without a lens mounted on the camera
Matrix metering only works with DA,DA*,D-FA,FA,FA*, FA-J lenses AFAIK. Also if you have AE linked to AF point* exposure will be biased towards whatever the camera is focusing on.

*which only works in matrix AE mode.

02-24-2018, 04:59 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

s Matrix Metering under AE Metering? There are three setting, top one is the largest area, but it's darken out and won't let me select it, so I just put it in the middle.
Multi-segment or matrix metering cannot be set when using some lenses. I expect this is the case for your Irix. The FA Ltds can use matrix metering.

Have a look here for a good explanation of what the different metering methods are good for..... https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-metering.htm

Last edited by pschlute; 02-24-2018 at 05:06 PM.
02-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #21
Pentaxian

It's not in the appendix. I have the camera and manual right here on my desk.
It looks like it's called Multi-Segment Metering with the K-1. My previous Pentax cameras called it Matrix Metering. Take a look on page 50 of the manual.
02-24-2018, 05:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Monochrome lurking? Welcome!
02-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Really ?

Look in the manual. There are plenty of folk on here that will offer advice. i personally have given you a lot on our correspondence on another site. But you have to help yourself, and your quote above has annoyed me. Sorry but there you have it.
Of course not, Peter. Just a little frustrated. I can't even find matrix metering.
Terry

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 05:11 PM ----------

Is matrix metering the top selection under AE metering?

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 05:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
It looks like it's called Multi-Segment Metering with the K-1. My previous Pentax cameras called it Matrix Metering. Take a look on page 50 of the manual.
You are exactly right. I just set it there, and will try again tomorrow. It's dark, now. Thank you very much.
Terry

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 05:22 PM ----------

Multi-segment or matrix metering cannot be set when using some lenses. I expect this is the case for your Irix. The FA Ltds can use matrix metering.

Have a look here for a good explanation of what the different metering methods are good for..... Understanding Camera Metering and Exposure
If I can't use it on my Irix, then just choose the middle setting, but not spot? I assume I can still use spot focus.
Terry

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 05:27 PM ----------

Matrix option won't come up without a lens mounted on the camera...maybe?
Yes, I just found that out.
Thank you.

02-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I can't use it on my Irix, then just choose the middle setting, but not spot? I assume I can still use spot focus
Centre weighted is closer to matrix meting. Spot is something else entirely, only use that if you know how to use it.

Spot focus point is completely unrelated (although there is an option to link the metering point to the focus point. Default is off, and I have never used it.)

Last edited by pschlute; 02-24-2018 at 05:35 PM.
02-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I hate showing the back of my house after a long hard winter.
Terry

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 05:32 PM ----------

Centre weighted is closer to matrix meting. Spot is something else entirely, only use that if you know how to use it.

Spot focus point is completely unrelated.
Good, I like spot focus. I have my metering changed, and will try again tomorrow. Thanks for your help, Peter.
Terry

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 05:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I'm not sure how matrix metering would help at all. I only use spot metering so I know exactly where I'm measuring the light and then I manually set the aperture and shutter speed. Since you're using center AF point, spot metering makes even more sense.

Looking at your photos, I'm not sure how you could do better with any other lens and those settings and the lighting. The harsh lighting in the sky isn't helping. Digitalis' photo has an overcast sky. I rarely shoot outside unless it's cloudy, and at the right times of day. The first photo looks great, but it's a boring subject. As mentioned above by someone else, take a photo of an interesting subject and I think you'll be much happier.

Matrix metering is indicated by the green icon just to the left of "AF.S" in this photo (not mine, got it from Google Images).
I now have those two green icons, but I have it set on spot focus. I'm good to go, and will try again tomorrow. Will also choose a better subject and setting. Thank you very much for your help.
Terry
02-24-2018, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hate showing the back of my house after a long hard winter.
You should see ours ! The dogs have recreated the battle of the Somme on our "lawn" complete with bomb craters.

Good, I like spot focus. I have my metering changed, and will try again tomorrow. Thanks for your help, Peter.
Just remember that it will default to centre weighted on the Irix, but should default back to matrix (or whatever you actually set) when you put a modern Pentax lens back on.
02-24-2018, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have a superb camera and three superb lenses. Be patient and learn how to use them properly. Don't just bin bad images. Look at them and think about what YOU did wrong.

Whichever metering mode you are using, be mindful of which part of the scene is being metered and use the exposure compensation and/or AE/L button appropriately. Remember that the camera will try to expose your image to render the metered part of the scene as the equivalent of 18% grey, which may be entirely inappropriate if your spot meter is pointing at something bright or dark.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 02-24-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Precision
02-24-2018, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

I also recommend learning how to meter manually. Read “Understanding Exposure” by Bryan Petersen. It improved my joy of photography immensely.

After shooting a photo I really want to turn out right, I always check my histograms to make sure nothing is wildly over/under exposed and then edit to what I really want in post.
02-24-2018, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Monochrome lurking? Welcome!
Not often. Thought I could help. Maybe after the camera ships, maybe not until the APSc flagship, but for sure not any time soon.
02-25-2018, 12:45 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Matrix metering works perfectly fine with FA lenses. Even the old ZX/MZ 5n 35mm film body had a lever to switch between spot, center-weighted, and matrix metering. The FA lenses were developed commensurate with this run of bodies along with the PZ/Z series, which also had this option. I have used matrix metering regularly ever since with every Pentax model have owned, and with numerous FA lenses, including the 43mm and 77mm Limiteds. Matrix metering generally does a good job of balancing exposure, taking into consideration both the brighter and darker parts of your frame, as well as backlit concerns, but there's no do-it-all perfect auto-exposure system, because lighting can be tricky in certain circumstances, fooling the light-reading meters. In time, you will learn how to anticipate when it will be necessary to step in and make your own adjustments.

I use spot metering when I deem it appropriate, but it is best not to use spot metering until you really know how to meter-read a scene to achieve a good exposure, and when this will be the best procedure due to lighting conditions.

Since your K-1's design is akin to that of my KP, the adjustment can be accessed via the 2nd knob dial, right of center, under the indication of AE (metering). Once you select that, use the 3rd wheel to change the metering between spot, center-weighted, and matrix. Then set your 2nd knob dial back to the off position. It is pretty fast and convenient, but I especially like my Pentax K-5 and K-5 IIs controls, as there is a lever right on top around the mode dial that is clearly marked specifically for this purpose.

I presume you are shooting in "P" mode? This is fully automatic exposure, but with all adjustment and control options available. It is fine for most scenarios. But you should also do some Manual-mode shooting, which will give you experience in meter-reading and setting your exposure parameters. Remember the Pentax Hyper System, which is very useful for both modes.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-25-2018 at 01:11 AM.