Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tested out my 3 FA Limited lenses today.

Hello,
I only had a few minutes today, but I was anxious to test out my 3 new lenses. On my 31 and 43, the sky was washed out and over exposed. I had my camera on iso 800, shutter speed was about 250-600, and aperture was 8-11, which is where the camera was set. I had focus on center point. So only the subject the point was on was sharp. I thought the dof would pick up the surrounding a little. Tomorrow, I will retry it and will have time to set up the camera. Even at the current settings, I really expected better. One thing for sure, I really messed them up. Any suggestions for tomorrow? When I had the 15-30, I did the same thing, and it was beautiful, especially the sky.
Terry

02-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How did you mess them up?
02-24-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hmm, you may have accidentally selected spot metering. You should go for matrix metering.

Can you attach the problematic photos?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'll check my meter setting. I deleted them, because they looked so bad
and I was upset. I had the 24-70 and 15-30 and their images were beautiful, but my back can't handle them. My new lens kit has to work and covers everything I need. I also have the 100 macro which is very light, and the Irix which is hand holdable, but I'm using a tripod.
Terry

02-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Where killer glass earns it's keep is by making wonderful situations render wonderfully in your camera. Find something wonderful, time it for the best light you can, compose it artfully, make sure you don't blow out the sky (that's not the lens' fault), and those lenses will do a fine job! You could say that you must go find the pixie dust, it won't ooze out on its own.

But hey, you got out shooting...bully for you and you got better pics than all of us who didn't get out!

I just hate to see your first effort with the Limited's be kind of underwhelming. Maybe take 'em to the produce section at a really nicely stocked grocer? Lots of color and detail will help you feel good about the three amigos.
02-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

On a bright day, 1/250 at f8 and 800ISO would be fairly overexposed, hence the washed out sky. How did you decide on that metering?

Are you sure the lenses were set on “A” so the body controls aperture?
02-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adam,
I found one. I wasn't sure how to do it, but I hope it worked.
Terry

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Adam,
I found one. I wasn't sure how to do it, but I hope it worked.
Terry
shooting RAW or jpeg?
02-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
shooting RAW or jpeg?
jpeg Here's another one. I know my settings may have something to do with it, but I got nice results with my 24-70 and 15-30. These are just horrible.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You used spot metering and the camera metered for the green bush and green bin. It got those perfectly exposed.

Use matrix metering and try again.

One area where the 31 Ltd especially falls down is high contrast scenes such as branches of a tree against sky. it doesn't like it and will give you chromatic aberration especially the wider the aperture.
02-24-2018, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Where killer glass earns it's keep is by making wonderful situations render wonderfully in your camera
Actually I find that lenses such as the the FA limiteds really shine in when the subject matter isn't at all extraordinary.

SMCP-FA FA31mm f/1.8 Limited @ f/1.8
02-24-2018, 04:32 PM   #12
pid
Pentaxian

Exif says spot metering. So the plant and the garbage can (where the spot messured) are perfect. Try matrix!
02-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You used spot metering and the camera metered for the green bush and green bin. It got those perfectly exposed.

One area where the 31 Ltd especially falls down is high contrast scenes such as branches of a tree against sky. it doesn't like it and will give you chromatic aberration especially the wider the aperture.
What should I set it on, Peter? I couldn't find matrix metering like Adam suggested. I looked in the manual. The camera gave me 3 settings, but would only let me use the bottom two. it was on spot, but it always has been. This is making me feel like throwing them in the trash can.

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 04:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
Exif says spot metering. So the plant and the garbage can (where the spot messured) are perfect. Try matrix!
I can't find matrix. Where is it, exactly? I'll do it right now.
Terry

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 04:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Actually I find that lenses such as the the FA limiteds really shine in when the subject matter isn't at all extraordinary.

SMCP-FA FA31mm f/1.8 Limited @ f/1.8
That is absolutely beautiful!
Terry
02-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
This is making me feel like throwing them in the trash can.
Really ?

Look in the manual. There are plenty of folk on here that will offer advice. i personally have given you a lot on our correspondence on another site. But you have to help yourself, and your quote above has annoyed me. Sorry but there you have it.
02-24-2018, 04:50 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Is Matrix Metering under AE Metering? There are three setting, top one is the largest area, but it's darken out and won't let me select it, so I just put it in the middle.
Terry

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 04:55 PM ----------

Really ?

Look in the manual. There are plenty of folk on here that will offer advice. i personally have given you a lot on our correspondence on another site. But you have to help yourself, and your quote above has annoyed me. Sorry but there you have it.
It's not in the appendix. I have the camera and manual right here on my desk.