Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-50 had something like soot inside.

I have had my Pentax k-50 for just a little over a year. It had 830 activations and currently has close to 4,000 activations. I do believe that I take very good care of this unit, by keeping it as clean inside as well as outside. The surprise of the year was I noticed some tiny black dots on the images I uploaded into my computer. So I removed the lens, took a sheet of brand new copier paper and tapped the camera body several times while it was upside down and this soot like material came out of the body. I failed to mention here that I did check out the lens and it was just fine, A Pentax-DA 18~55mm AL Kit. Then I went through the process of having the camera clean itself and once that was done, I went through the process of cleaning it myself with Digital Camera cleaning material. Nothing more fell out of the camera.

I wonder if this could be a result of some microscopic paint chips falling out from the body. This is the first time I have had this experience.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Tonytee

02-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lens cap bits. Look at your lens mounting plates closely.
02-25-2018, 10:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Lens cap bits. Look at your lens mounting plates closely.
Geeeezzzzz, just when a guy thinks he's just about seen and heard it all, this pops up. I did check out the mounting plates, blew them off with the blower and then cleaned them good with a microfibre cloth. Then I just gently tapped the rear lens on a sheet of white paper and a few of the specks fell out. This is a real eye opener for me.

Thanks very much for your assistance. Now come to think of it how did these specks appear in my photographs? Okay, the shutter opens, the sensor is exposed and some how these culprits jumped onto the sensor? I think I got it. When raising the equipment upwards, the specks fell out of the lens and onto the sensor.

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 02-25-2018 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Additional Information.
02-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Geeeezzzzz, just when a guy thinks he's just about seen and heard it all, this pops up. I did check out the mounting plates, blew them off with the blower and then cleaned them good with a microfibre cloth. Then I just gently tapped the rear lens on a sheet of white paper and a few of the specks fell out. This is a real eye opener for me.

Thanks very much for your assistance. Now come to think of it how did these specks appear in my photographs? Okay, the shutter opens, the sensor is exposed and some how these culprits jumped onto the sensor? I think I got it. When raising the equipment upwards, the specks fell out of the lens and onto the sensor.

Tony
Any dust or specks can migrate anywhere. The lens flange can shave small black bits from the plastic lens caps, which then stick to the lens and then can migrate into the mirror box, where they can eventually get to the sensor, or, especially, the underside of the pentaprism, where you will see them in the viewfinder. I believe I'm the first ever to mention this, but I have noticed it for years. If you have black bits in your viewfinder, they most likely are on the bottom of the pentaprism, having come from lens caps.

02-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Any dust or specks can migrate anywhere. The lens flange can shave small black bits from the plastic lens caps, which then stick to the lens and then can migrate into the mirror box, where they can eventually get to the sensor, or, especially, the underside of the pentaprism, where you will see them in the viewfinder. I believe I'm the first ever to mention this, but I have noticed it for years. If you have black bits in your viewfinder, they most likely are on the bottom of the pentaprism, having come from lens caps.
so if I understand correctly, this occurs from the rear cap being " shaved "

so what can be done, if any thing to prevent problems
02-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

I'm thinking there may be a way of placing some tape on the inside walls and the bottom of the rear lens cap. This would create a smooth surface and hopefully would help to solve the issue. Well, as they say down under, " I will give it a go." )

TT
02-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

Just inspect the lens flange periodically and wipe clean. I use the hard plastic Pentax caps as well as the softer push-on type. Both can be "shaved," according to my years of observation.