Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2018, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #1

Haze or fog in lens

Hi.
I've recently bought a SMC-Takumar 28mm/3.5 from and international seller in Japan.
It appears to be in mint condition as descrived , glass is clean, no fungus, very few dust, almost no paint lost and very smooth focus. I did the flashlight test and i found something like haze or fog, it seems to be behind the front element. Comparing it, my Pentacon 50mm/1.8 (although it has a lot of dust which not affect photos) has a much clearer glass. Im worried the haze will affect the photos or get worse with time. Is it something normal or should I get it profesionally cleaned?

The first photo is the 50mm, the second and third one is the takumar.

Attached Images

02-27-2018, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi.

Welcome to the forum. The haze is quite likely balsam separation, which is the "cement" between two or more of the glass elements in your lens, or it can be an oily deposit on the surface of one of the elements. It is fixable, but not easily or cheaply. If it's not too bad, it may not have much of an effect on your photos, but that's subjective, of course.

Kind regards,
Mark
03-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
Forum Member

Hello.

Sorry but this could not be a lens separation problem.
SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5 is composed of 7 independent lens elements.
This is obviously haze, occurring on what seems to be the 1st and 2nd elements, maybe deeper.
I have encountered some lenses with haze during my wanderings of optics compulsive buyer.
From all the problems that can affect old lenses, haze is among the worst.
Its effects are directly visible right from the viewfinder.

I had lenses that got cleared almost well after disassembly.
But also had optics with lens elements so badly hazed that it is a sorrow.
Like the 24mm Super-Takumar that sits right before me on the table at the moment.
I have tried everything : alcohol, naphta, soapy water, vinegar. Nothing worked well : corroded surface.

To try clean the haze you will need some appropriate tools to unscrew the front plate, then unscrew the retaining rings (tight !).
It is not an easy job, but certainly doable for a good DIY-er.
03-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you may want to look at this thread before starting disassembly

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com

03-05-2018, 07:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Praktica*ist Quote
I have tried everything : alcohol, naphta, soapy water, vinegar. Nothing worked well : corroded surface.
If the piece you're trying to clean is not coated (just glass), you might want to try metal polish.
I had a filter that wasn't coated. It had spots that would not come out with alcohol, acetone, white vinegar, lens cleaner, lighter fluid. dish soap.
None worked so I figured what the heck and tried metal polish (Metal Glo Professional) was the name of it.
I gently rubbed the surfaces with a soft cotton cloth, wiped it clean and WOW the lens was clean and clear...no more spots...looks great.