Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2018, 06:31 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
, in this list is a switch called Electronic Level; This reads the amount of exposure light in the viewfinder during exposure assessment. This is because if you use the LCD screen more light enters the view finder
No. The electronic level is as MrB1 explained.

If you use LV any light entering the viewfinder should not affect exposure. In LV the exposure is taken directly from the sensor, not from the meter in the prism box. As the mirror is up during LV operations there should be no need to cover the viewfinder.

03-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes so this means some electrical component is not working properly and switch ing this function on some how compensates for the failing part or the light from the level in the view finder compensated for putting my face against the view finder.

By default the electronic level is switched off.

Somthimes the answer is found outside the box. I went through each setting till I turned on the level and it corrected my exposures -I guess I should continue and see if another switch also effects it.

Putting my thumb over the view finder gives me an incorrect exposure its that simple. Removing my thumb and letting the light in gives a correct exposure. Turning on the electronic level gives me a correct exposure with my thumb on the view finder.

The manual is only made to show how the camera works it does no show any fault diagnosis or trouble shooting tips like a car workshop manual does.

Also the testing of this fault needs doing outdoors as indoors the the problem doesn't show itself as well as outdoors.

Last edited by Kombivan; 03-03-2018 at 10:37 PM.
03-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like to ask you a couple of things:

1) Please confirm the firmware version on your camera.

2) Have you done a system reset on your camera? If not, you should.
03-03-2018, 11:55 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Turning on the electronic level gives me a correct exposure with my thumb on the view finder.
There is no correlation between the electronic level and the problems you're describing. As others have said, the electronic level preforms another function.

Putting my thumb over the view finder gives me an incorrect exposure its that simple. Removing my thumb and letting the light in gives a correct exposure. Turning on the electronic level gives me a correct exposure with my thumb on the view finder.
This would only hold true if you're shooting when viewing through the viewfinder. But, I thought you said your problems were when using Liveview? Or did I misunderstand? And, as someone who never covers the viewfinder, I can tell you it should not make a difference when shooting at normal lighting levels - outdoor photos like the ones you're shooting.

03-03-2018, 11:55 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I would like to ask you a couple of things:

1) Please confirm the firmware version on your camera.

2) Have you done a system reset on your camera? If not, you should.
Yes, please - Can you please confirm re these two questions?
03-04-2018, 03:39 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Could be a bad earth and turning on the electronic level might give a good earth to the exposure circuitry? Who Knows I'm not a technician.

---------- Post added 03-04-18 at 09:47 PM ----------

I only shoot through view finder, when I was testing it I started just point and shoot without puting it to my face thats when I saw good exposures then I tried my thumb over and off the viewfinder and there was a 100% relationship between covering the viewfinder and getting faulty exposures.

Firmware v1.16.

Yes did a system reset and with a system reset the default setting for Electronic level is off.

I can only tell you what I have found. In green mode it worked ok. and exposure problems are worse in brighter situations.

---------- Post added 03-04-18 at 09:51 PM ----------

also I don't know if I was holding the camera at my face by the time I started using green mode and I did about 100 photos with thumb on and off the viewfinder.

---------- Post added 03-04-18 at 09:56 PM ----------

I read on Google somewhere that this exposure problem was an unsolveable problem and that the K-5 & K-7 etc don't have the aperture block problems like the K-50 etc. Well here is a place to start looking to fix this problem in these camera's. For me this is a pain but I like the way the k-5 fits in my hands with the location of all the switches etc as well so I want my camera's working I'm not looking for an upgrade camera as I feel comfortable just need this issue fixed.
03-04-2018, 04:59 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I read on Google somewhere that this exposure problem was an unsolveable problem and that the K-5 & K-7 etc don't have the aperture block problems like the K-50
Can you say where you read this?

03-04-2018, 05:53 AM   #38
Pentaxian

All the images you have posted in this thread are taken with the Tamron AF 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 LD Aspherical[IF] Macro. If there is a random electronic glitch, the first suspect might be the communication between the lens and the camera body:

1. Have you tried thoroughly cleaning the contacts on both the lens mount and the camera mount, using a very clean microfibre cloth?
2. Do you get the same problems arising in the exposures using the same camera body but with different fully auto lenses?
03-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep same problems but I just found the reset before I found the custom reset, and now I am getting some awesome photos but they are only indoors at present...I got to thinking about that 2-3 stops over exposed and that 2x converter adds two stops to an exposure now what if my clever k-5 readjusted for those 2 stops and matched the exposure to my tamron 28-300 lens and saved that setting for these two tamron lenses I have and was over exposing thinking it was 600mm instead of 300mm I will find out later today if the sun is out if the camera is still playing up as it was before but that multipul exposure is waesome. Never used it before. I could have done wonders with that Moon shot in the 300mm club thread. I'll bet you can't guess how I did the flash exposure.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Kombivan; 03-05-2018 at 12:35 AM.
03-05-2018, 12:13 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can't fault this camera now
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-05-2018, 12:26 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can't fault this camera now I did put the 2x converter on KenkoDG MC$/MC7 2x AF Teleplus and I couldn't auto focus the lens with it and the exposure with it was off overexposing a couple of stops did a few test shots and removed it in future if i want a 2x converter I will use a manual one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-05-2018, 03:10 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really pleased you got your problems sorted!
03-05-2018, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

So, have you now come to the conclusion that the problem is a faulty 2X converter, and that there is nothing wrong with your cameras and lenses?

By the way, if you add a 2x converter to a lens with a maximum aperture of f/3.5, it will lose 2 stops of light and so it will become f/7. Autofocus will probably not work well much beyond f/5.6.

Last edited by MrB1; 03-05-2018 at 11:33 AM.
03-06-2018, 05:11 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
MrB1 no I have come to the conclusion that the kenko converter confuses the K-5 and K-5ii or there is somthing not right with the way the lightmeter in the prism performs. I also think its not a coinscident that the Electronic level and Input Focal length are in the same menu. and the change of focal length and changing of on/off electronic level is possibly why switching the level on is why I got a correct exposure.
03-06-2018, 05:15 AM   #45
Pentaxian

MrB1 no I have come to the conclusion that the kenko converter confuses the K-5 and K-5ii or there is somthing not right with the way the lightmeter in the prism performs. I also don't think its not a coinscident that the Electronic level and Input Focal length are in the same menu. and the change of focal length and changing of on/off electronic level is possibly why switching the level on is why I got a correct exposure.
It has been said before that the Electronic Level is purely a "spirit level" visible in the viewfinder and in live view.