Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2018, 04:49 AM   #1

35mm 2.8 limited on full frame?

Hellow, I currently have a pentax k3, and looking forward to switch to the full frame k1. My question is, how would my 35mm 2.8 macro limited would act? I'm aware that I will get the crop equivalent, but will I still get the full 36mp resolution? I have no experience with this kind of stuff. New here. Thank you in advance!

03-01-2018, 05:05 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Youo may want to review this information re compatibility

Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com

DA 35mm F2.4 AL: +++ (aurele ;like FA35/2.0 and no vignetting) (frank)
DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro: 0 (ryno), + (@ 1.15 crop)

Overall rating scale:
+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
+: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
-: not usable

Read more at: DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - Page 34 - PentaxForums.com
03-01-2018, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Potatoshoot Quote
Hellow, I currently have a pentax k3, and looking forward to switch to the full frame k1. My question is, how would my 35mm 2.8 macro limited would act? I'm aware that I will get the crop equivalent, but will I still get the full 36mp resolution? I have no experience with this kind of stuff. New here. Thank you in advance!
Have a look at this thread which will answer your questions. Do DA lenses crop? - PentaxForums.com

Crop equivalent ? It is still a 35mm lens on the K-1. Whether the image circle is big enough to cover the FF sensor is another matter, check that here DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com. If it covers FF you will get 36MP, if it does not you can use it in crop mode and you will get 15MP
03-01-2018, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It only covers the full 36x24 at close focus. Even then the edges are poor.
At infinity focus a hard black vignette intrudes into the corners, with significant light loss well beyond that.

It's brilliant on crop. Leave it at that.

03-01-2018, 05:09 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I am always amazed at how fast and willing members of the forum are to provide assistance
03-01-2018, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Potatoshoot Quote
but will I still get the full 36mp resolution?
No. Crop means you "crop" (cut, remove) the edges. You are left with around 15-16MP. It is literally a smaller image. It is like taking an FF photo, and then cutting off the edges. Of course, 16MP is still quite a lot and is more than enough for many purposes. Its just that most people don't want to buy a K-1 if they will end up getting almost the same IQ as a K-5IIs. Remember, the APSC cameras like K-5 and K-3 literally have a smaller image sensor ("film size") than K-1.

The DA 35mm f2.8 can be used in FF mode with full 36MP, but the edges might not be high quality and will be darkened at certain focus distances (far and infinity) and aperture choices (below f3.5 and above f8? You will have to do some tests yourself). You can read more here:
DA35/2.8 Macro Limited on K-1 - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Another thing you can do is take FF photos and crop them yourself. Maybe the full 36MP image has bad edges, but you would be okay with the centre 24MP or 18MP. You can crop photos manually in Lightroom, Photoshop, or most other photo software.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 03-01-2018 at 05:17 AM.
03-01-2018, 05:14 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
No. Crop means you "crop" (cut, remove) the edges. You are left with around 15-16MP. It is literally a smaller image. It is like taking an FF photo, and then cutting off the edges. Of course, 16MP is still quite a lot and is more than enough for many purposes. Its just that most people don't want to buy a K-1 if they will end up getting almost the same IQ as a K-5IIs. . . .
I agree

here is more detailed information

Crop Factor Explained

Full Frame Sensor vs Crop Sensor: Which is Right For You?

03-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I am always amazed at how fast and willing members of the forum are to provide assistance
It is too cold to go outside in England at the moment and take photos, so i surf the pentax forums
03-01-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The corners struggle a little in terms of sharpness, and at infinity there's just a hint of cutoff. You also can't use the hood. Other than that, it's usable!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
No. Crop means you "crop" (cut, remove) the edges. You are left with around 15-16MP. It is literally a smaller image. It is like taking an FF photo, and then cutting off the edges. Of course, 16MP is still quite a lot and is more than enough for many purposes. Its just that most people don't want to buy a K-1 if they will end up getting almost the same IQ as a K-5IIs. Remember, the APSC cameras like K-5 and K-3 literally have a smaller image sensor ("film size") than K-1.

The DA 35mm f2.8 can be used in FF mode with full 36MP, but the edges might not be high quality and will be darkened at certain focus distances (far and infinity) and aperture choices (below f3.5 and above f8? You will have to do some tests yourself). You can read more here:
DA35/2.8 Macro Limited on K-1 - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Another thing you can do is take FF photos and crop them yourself. Maybe the full 36MP image has bad edges, but you would be okay with the centre 24MP or 18MP. You can crop photos manually in Lightroom, Photoshop, or most other photo software.
Thank you, this answer my questions