Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K1, Autofocus after timer goes off

When shooting a selfie, I sometimes want the autofocus to go off after the timer interval expires since I'm not in the picture yet at button-push time. Is there a setting that allows you to do this? I'd rather avoid buying a remote control.

I have a K-1.

03-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the K-1 doesn't have a selfie mode, I do believe that a remote (or control via image sync + wifi) would be the way to go. There are lots of very cheap knock-off remotes available if you can't track down a remote control F.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiotrM Quote
I'd rather avoid buying a remote control.
If your cell phone is old enough to have an IR blaster, there are free apps that work quite well and have more features than the Pentax IR remotes. I use DSLR Remote by bitshift with my Samsung S5.

Steve
03-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The alternative - which I have done with a manual focus A* 85mm f/1.4 - is to have someone else stand where you will be, get the focus nailed. (Turn off AF if using AF lens). Start the timer, have a nice marker on the ground - get your stand in to move out of the way and step in their place

(Or get superpowers like Elastagirl and hold the device at the correct distance and just push the button... LOL)

03-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #5

Edit: Adam mentioned wifi tether. Therefore, I agree with him.
If you Wifi-tether to phone, use live-view on phone to engage autofocus when you're in position, and take the photo. Option 2 for me has been static environmental props that you can check focus on and align your body with after the fact as suggested, but that only works for some compositions.
03-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use CD autofocus with interval shooting when doing selfie type photos. The interval and delay makes it easy to pick a few choice poses and the face detect in live view is the trick to nail focus.
03-01-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I use CD autofocus with interval shooting when doing selfie type photos. The interval and delay makes it easy to pick a few choice poses and the face detect in live view is the trick to nail focus.
CD huh, wassat?

03-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
CD huh, wassat?
I want to know this too as it's a good workaround. Interval shooting with focus on each shot is something I've seen before in either the manual or in a menu somewhere, but I don't remember where.

As for the other answers, well I don't have a smart phone on me. I do have a windows laptop, but the ios/android emulators present one problem or another and I can't get ricoh's app to download.

I wonder if it would be possible to mod a selfie mode into the k1 firmware. Anyone know if there's an sdk available? Depending on usability I could probably throw something together.
03-01-2018, 05:27 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
CD huh, wassat?
QuoteOriginally posted by PiotrM Quote
I want to know this too
Contrast Detect Autofocus (CDAF). On Pentax it includes face detect, making it good for selfies.

Steve
03-01-2018, 05:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if this would be something worth giving a try, works with my ASUS 2in1 and KP. My Pentax wifi remote software - PentaxForums.com You would want the latest version.
The smart phone Wi-Fi app. is pretty good BTW.
03-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Contrast Detect Autofocus (CDAF). On Pentax it includes face detect, making it good for selfies.

Steve
Thanks guys, never thought of doing that hehe.
03-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
^^^^^ Exactly ^^^^^