Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
@jatrax - this is a shining example of the good that comes from these forums and its members. Kudos to you, sir, for helping in a way that goes above and beyond the norm!
might I suggest

3 cheers for jatrax

---------- Post added 03-09-18 at 18:44 ----------

I wonder how guilty Op/tech USA might feel

any one know of a source for

the hood- PH-RBK 77 mm

google is your friend

Adorama, B H Photography and Amazon $59.95 plus shipping

currently in stock at those vendors

another attempt at removing the filter was successful

4 years of high school wrestling and playing offensive and defensive line

I still have strong hands

[ strike reference to offensive line, of course, I never used my hands when playing that position ]

---------- Post added 03-09-18 at 19:08 ----------

to answer the question

hood or safety filter

my response remains the same

both

I am convinced that the hood took a large percentage of the shock but the scratches on the safety filter indicates that the hood did not completely protect the front of the lens

and the safety filter protected the front threads of the lens which suffered no damage

IMHO, YMMV

and please, I don't want to discuss this point

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-09-2018 at 06:08 PM.
03-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
thank you for the advice and the benefit of your experience

do you know if connection system would interfere in any way with any of the functions of those bigger lenses such as

the DA * 300

the D FA 150- 450

the D FA * 70-200mm F2.8
Occasionally when I'm mounting the FA*400mm with the Lens Loop onto the body, while grasping the lens/loop combination near the lens mount and rotating it into the body mount, I depress the button on the aperture ring and slip it out of the A position (auto-diaphragm). It's my grasping of the lens by the aperture ring that depresses the A button on the ring. However, none of the lenses you are talking about has any switches or other moving parts where the Lens Loop would sit, i.e., next to the mount. You might get zoom creep while the lenses are hanging downward, so apply the zoom lock when walking around.

Speaking of mounts, OP/TECH's reason for designing the Lens Loop Connector is as follows. The reason that big lenses have a tripod foot is that they are so heavy that they place excessive stress on the camera’s lens mount. So, just as one would not mount the long lens/body combo onto a tripod by the body's tripod socket, one shouldn't suspend the combo from a strap that is attached to the body. One could attach the strap to the tripod foot's socket (e.g., BlackRapid). However, if you want to keep the foot's tripod socket instantly available for mounting on a tripod, one could use one or two Lens Loop Connectors.

Sandy Handcock's, post reminded me that, on the K-3, the Uni-Loop Connector is threaded through those triangular split rings, which are in turn attached to lugs on the body. I believe, as Sandy wrote, that the sharp edges on the ends of the wire of the triangular split ring are what severed the Uni-Loop Connector. I have seen those sharp ends badly fray 3/8'' wide webbing straps.
03-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Most important thing with stuck filters is to NOT squeeze them. The tighter you squeeze the more out of round they get and thus the tighter they get.

If you have filter wrenches that is the first thing to try. If that fails try a rubber jar opener pad placed on the front of filter and try removing by pressing onto the face of the filter, do not squeeze from the sides.

Hood? That ones a puzzle I'll have to think about that for a bit.
I agree with trying the rubber jar opener on the filter. That may just work, especially if you apply even pressure all around the filter ring. I do not like the fabric loop connectors on the triangular strap lugs. They seem more fragile than a full 3/8 inch strap would be. Years ago I bought a pair of them from op tech so I could try having both a shoulder strap and the pentax hand strap on my K-3. One of the fabric loops looked like it was starting to fray, so I gave up on the idea and went to just a shoulder strap. Sorry about the break and fall. I hope everything turns out to be in good working order. The filter and hood can be replaced, I hope the lens and camera survived the fall OK.
03-09-2018, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
. . . Sandy Handcock's, post reminded me that, on the K-3, the Uni-Loop Connector is threaded through those triangular split rings, which are in turn attached to lugs on the body. I believe, as Sandy wrote, that the sharp edges on the ends of the wire of the triangular split ring are what severed the Uni-Loop Connector. I have seen those sharp ends badly fray 3/8'' wide webbing straps.
I think you and Sandy are probably correct

in my opinion, Opt/tech USA which directs you to use the device in the manner that makes it vulnerable for such potential damage need to change their directions or warn customers to be aware of that and suggests ways to avoid the problem

as I said, I am in touch with their customer service rep and I will bring this to their attention on Monday

---------- Post added 03-09-18 at 19:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I agree with trying the rubber jar opener on the filter. That may just work, especially if you apply even pressure all around the filter ring. I do not like the fabric loop connectors on the triangular strap lugs. They seem more fragile than a full 3/8 inch strap would be. Years ago I bought a pair of them from op tech so I could try having both a shoulder strap and the pentax hand strap on my K-3. One of the fabric loops looked like it was starting to fray, so I gave up on the idea and went to just a shoulder strap. Sorry about the break and fall. I hope everything turns out to be in good working order. The filter and hood can be replaced, I hope the lens and camera survived the fall OK.
I was able to get the filter off:

another attempt at removing the filter was successful

4 years of high school wrestling and playing offensive and defensive line

I still have strong hands

[ strike reference to offensive line, of course, I never used my hands when playing that position ]

Read more at: I have another boo boo, WARNING and seeking help - PentaxForums.com

the hood did suffer damage and I will most likely have to replace it

the damage to the filter I could care less

the lens and K 3 seem to be ok

and far as the other scratches - well it still looks better than my 2002 Suburban with 190 K miles, rust, dirt, grime and " bruises "

I can live with the cosmetic reminders

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-09-2018 at 07:50 PM.
03-09-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

the lens and K 3 seem to be ok
I am very glad to hear this. Definitely a testament to the quality of the lens and the K-3. I have the same combo (K-3 and lightly used DA*300) I am going to be a lot more careful with mine. It is a heavy combination with most strap systems.
03-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The screws are likely to tension the fit of the hood. Some screws in my hood show a little wear on the surface of the head.
03-09-2018, 08:05 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
just scored a new replacement hood off of EBAY with a 20 % coupon and free shipping

actually sold by Adorama

coupon good until 8 PM Pacific

20% off Ebay sitewide, Friday March 9 - US & Canada only - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

03-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
just scored a new replacement hood off of EBAY with a 20 % coupon and free shipping

actually sold by Adorama

coupon good until 8 PM Pacific
I just saw thew thread and glad you didn't damage the lens or camera. Expensive hood, but the originally sacrificed itself for the good of the lens. I don't know if you used the rubber jar opener method, but it's a good one in my experience.
03-10-2018, 05:39 AM   #39
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
perhaps people might want to know how tough the Pentax system is

I wonder if anyone out there want to try to figure out what my set up survived with relatively little damage as shown by the photos included in this thread

as I understand it, Force would be F = Mass x Acceleration

Force = mass x acceleration | Physics Forums - The Fusion of Science and Community

the result would be expressed in " joules " ???

What is a Joule? (with pictures)

Acceleration would roughly be the speed of gravity ( ? ) less air resistance ???

[ isn't that what Galileo basically proved - Galileo Galilei: The Falling Bodies Experiment ]

Mass would be the total weight:

K 3
Size (W x H x D)
131.5 x 100 x 77.5 mm

Weight
715 g (800 g with battery and SD card)

Read more at: Pentax K-3 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

I always use 2 SD cards, that extra weight needs to be added in

the DA *300mm

Diam x Length
83 x 184 mm (3.3 x 7.2 in.)

Weight
1070 g (37.7 oz.)
Only Hood: 90g
Only Tripod Foot: 80g

Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Ounces to grams (oz to gr) and grams to ounces (gr to oz) Online Conversion Calculator - Converter

Ounces to grams (oz to gr) and grams to ounces (gr to oz) Online Calculator - Converter / Conversion Chart / Table

is the distance ( time ? ) it fell significant ???

the camera and lens fell, I'm guessing here 30 inches, as it was suspended about waist high, with the lens down, on my right side about at my hip and I am 71 inches tall

onto a solid cement sidewalk

i don't remember any bouncing of the camera and lens, my memory may be faulty to spare me suffering or I may have been too shocked to see if there was any

time did not slow down during this event it was quick

any one bored enough to correct me on the correct formulae and/or terms

and figure this stuff out for us?

[ I feel like Tom Sawyer with a paint brush and a can of white wash convincing others how much fun it is to paint the fence ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-10-2018 at 05:52 AM.
03-10-2018, 06:33 AM   #40

The Splat Calculator
https://www.angio.net/personal/climb/speed
03-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
thanks but

the idea was to have someone other than me do the math

Tom never painted that fence once his " friends " showed up
03-10-2018, 06:44 AM   #42

thanks but

the idea was to have someone other than me do the math

Tom never painted that fence once his " friends " showed up
plug in the numbers, the script does the math.
03-10-2018, 06:46 AM   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
plug in the numbers, the script does the math.
i know but it's the principle of the thing

again I refer you to Tom

but I really do thank you for showing me the way

here goes

( someone please rescue me )

0.609 x 1.995 = 1.214855 by my calculator

.609 is 24 inches in meters ?

1.995 is the weight ( grams ) in kilograms ?

not sure if the site is working??

Falling Parameters
Height in meters

Mass in kg

Calculate
Speed at impact:
3.45 m/s
or
12.44 km/h
Time until impact:
0.35 s
Energy at impact:
11.91 joules

To get an idea of how much energy a joule actually is, it helps to look at some everyday examples. A joule is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of cool, dry air by 1.8°F (1.0°C). An average person sitting quietly produces 100 J of heat every second. The amount of energy required to lift a small apple 1 meter (3.3 feet) against the Earth's gravity is roughly equivalent to 1 J.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-joule.htm

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-10-2018 at 07:41 AM.
03-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I am some what embarrassed
Don't be. It is not your fault. Optech's system failed. It could happen to any of us. The only concern I have is that it seems a lot of weight hanging from a single string. I personally would never trust that much weight to a tiny string even if it was made out of Kevlar. I would be curious to see if Optech would offer to remedy the situation beyond just offering a replacement string at no cost. It is a sucky feeling when this happens. Wish you the best.
03-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #45
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a stuck UV filter on my DA 17-77. To loose it I put the lens in the freezer for 30 minutes, then took it out, wrapped the lens in a clothe only exposing the filter part and heated it with a hairdryer for 10 seconds. The filter went out. But the filter was not stuck because of a shock on it. Deserves a try though...