Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2018, 01:32 AM   #1

Pentax K30 will not focus - focus hexagon green light keeps flashing

Hello all,

My 6 year old Pentax K30 isn't working fine. I use a Pentax 18-135 mm lens with it and realized on previous vacation that it wouldn't want to focus. The green focus indicator hexagonal LED in the viewfinder keeps blinking. I tried to remove the battery and install again but that didn't help. I removed the lens, wiped the contacts with a dry cloth and mounted again.

The firmware is version v1.06. Is there anything that I can do to fix the problem? I want to avoid spending money sending it for repairs.

Thanks,
Gaurav

03-15-2018, 01:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps there's dirt stuck near the AF sensor? Try cleaning out the mirror box and see if that helps.

If not, there's always live view AF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-15-2018, 06:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried another lens yet?
03-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would make sure the subject to focus on has a good change in contrast and is beyond the minimum focal distance, and in reasonable light.
If you can't lock on in those conditions something is wrong. As mentioned change lenses and try again to rule the lens out.

03-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I would make sure the subject to focus on has a good change in contrast and is beyond the minimum focal distance, and in reasonable light.
If you can't lock on in those conditions something is wrong. As mentioned change lenses and try again to rule the lens out.
Hi there - thanks for the suggestions and ideas. Yes, I was ensure that the subject has good contract and min focal distance. I have been using cameras for many years now so was able to do this basic bit of debugging. I finally managed to borrow another lens and that works just fine. This was a 35mm prime lens and it has no issue. If I go back to my 18-135mm then it still doesn't focus.

Has the lens gone bad? Anything else that I can do? The lens contact seem fairly clean.
03-22-2018, 05:08 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by agaurav Quote
Has the lens gone bad? Anything else that I can do?
It sounds like it has as you've ruled out the main causes. It could be a simple matter of internal screws loosing off and causing the IF mechanism to stick. Perhaps someone who has had one in pieces could comment?
03-22-2018, 06:02 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Next steps:
Can you manually focus the 18-135 and get the green hecagon confirmation to stay lighted up solid?

Which 35mm prime did you try? Was it a screw drive lens or sdm/DC? Can you get another SDM or DC lens to try?

03-26-2018, 08:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Next steps:
Can you manually focus the 18-135 and get the green hecagon confirmation to stay lighted up solid?

Which 35mm prime did you try? Was it a screw drive lens or sdm/DC? Can you get another SDM or DC lens to try?
I did try manual focus and the focus indicator green hexagon light is happy and locks and beep is heard.

I tried the Pentax DA-35mm f/2.4 lens. I am trying to see if anyone has a Pentax lens but nobody shoots Pentax in my immediate friend circle. I am in Mountain View, California and going to try some photo clubs if I can find some. Thanks!