Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2018, 03:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another question from the ignorant (that would be me) about exif data on forum images

A quick look through the forums has not enlightened me as to why some images posted have an option to see the exif data and others not. Is it because the image that has had a lot of processing loses data or the platform used for processing does not provide any?

03-16-2018, 03:15 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

it may also depend upon where that photo is hosted - if the photo is here, in PF's gallery, the EXIF data is attached; if the photo is hosted on flickr, like most of mine, you'll have to click on the photo and the flickr page will have the EXIF data...
03-16-2018, 03:24 AM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Also, if the photograph is attached from the members Photo Gallery, only the image is moved to the thread or post, the EXIF stays with the original gallery image.

EDIT - Very often, left clicking the image will take you to its source.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-16-2018 at 03:34 AM.
03-16-2018, 03:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is possible when processing an image using your software to remove the exif data, but that will be a deliberate action by the person doing the processing..

As advised above various hosting sites do strip the data out when you link it to display on another site, that is the most common reason for not seeing any data directly.

03-16-2018, 03:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
it may also depend upon where that photo is hosted - if the photo is here, in PF's gallery, the EXIF data is attached; if the photo is hosted on flickr, like most of mine, you'll have to click on the photo and the flickr page will have the EXIF data...
Aha! Maybe I should have worked that out by myself.
Thank yous to all.
03-16-2018, 05:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
A quick look through the forums has not enlightened me as to why some images posted have an option to see the exif data and others not. Is it because the image that has had a lot of processing loses data or the platform used for processing does not provide any?
I started a thread quite a while ago about this similar subject and I believe the consensus was that some PP programs exported the exif and others did not automatically. Both the following export the exif but a little different.
1st photo is Affinity PP
2nd photo is Picasa

Last edited by honey bo bo; 08-07-2018 at 04:29 AM.
03-16-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
If you attach a photo, exif will always be displayed through the dropdown link, but only if it hasn't been stripped by your PP software.

In the albums and gallery, the exif is found below the page with the photo.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: