Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Polarizers on wide angle lenses

... or more specific the 31mm Limited on FF.

I've never been a fan of polarisers, for my photography, but I thought I'd give one a go on the 31mm. I occasionally use one in the 50 to 77 range when want to 'see' below the surface of water, or when it might benefit to reduce haze etc, etc

I use B+W exclusively, so a circular polariser will be pricey. Therefore I'm trying to quantify if 31mm is wide enough that I may end up fighting gradients across blue skies, for instance.

Anyone use a polariser regularly on the 31?

Many thanks

03-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Therefore I'm trying to quantify if 31mm is wide enough that I may end up fighting gradients across blue skies, for instance.
If shooting FF, that answer is that there may not be consistent effect across the full sky. That is simply how it is with polarizers and it is simply made visible as the view widens.

Steve

(...does not own the FA 31, but has shot for years at 28mm with polarizer on film...)
03-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not on the 31mm but I did a trip to Crater Lake NP with the K-3II and the 16-50. I put on a polarizer thinking I would get better results on the deep blue colors. Anything 24mm or wider was ruined. Anything 24mm to 35mm was marginal and only shots 40mm and up were what I considered good. A lesson learned and I'm using the polarizer a lot more carefully now.

That is with the K-3II so APS-C, with FF I would think 31mm would show noticeable gradients if you allow much sky in the photo.
03-16-2018, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use polarizers all the time on wide angle. Key is to pay attention to how uneven the sky may be and back off as needed. You can still get good benefit if you do it right without over doing it. Check this article - it has helped friends of mine:

How to Use a Polarizing Filter

and this:

Are Polarizing, ND and UV Filters Useless?

Hope this helps.

03-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not on the 31mm but I did a trip to Crater Lake NP with the K-3II and the 16-50. I put on a polarizer thinking I would get better results on the deep blue colors. Anything 24mm or wider was ruined. Anything 24mm to 35mm was marginal and only shots 40mm and up were what I considered good. A lesson learned and I'm using the polarizer a lot more carefully now.

That is with the K-3II so APS-C, with FF I would think 31mm would show noticeable gradients if you allow much sky in the photo.
Thanks John. At 31mm the Limited does fall in this awkward region. Maybe a little careful usage is the approach ... but, then maybe that is just going to reduce it's usefulness, especially when the sun is low.

---------- Post added 03-16-18 at 09:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I use polarizers all the time on wide angle. Key is to pay attention to how uneven the sky may be and back off as needed. You can still get good benefit if you do it right without over doing it. Check this article - it has helped friends of mine:

How to Use a Polarizing Filter

and this:

Are Polarizing, ND and UV Filters Useless?

Hope this helps.
Thanks. It's this low level sun & wide angle that gets me. I take most of my saleable shots at sunrise, especially in the winter. Your link reinforces that I may well have an issue on the 31mm. However, there is clearly a light touch approach with a perhaps a little graduated filtering in PP that may offer me some scope.

I see the link refers to the B+W nano filter that I had chosen - I have a 49mm version, which is good, when I occasionally get it out of my bag.
03-16-2018, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, low sun and UWA is difficult. That's where a light touch comes into play. I came across a good tutorial on using the graduated filter in LR to do some sky correction. Are you familiar with this? I can try to find it and post the link if you like.
03-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The effect is not unlike vignetting in reverse, and can be quite objectionable.

In general the wider the lens the more pronounced the effect.
A lens with a steeply curved front element may tend to exhibit it more.

Using my 35mm film cameras this effect is noticeable using even 35mm focal length lenses.

Chris

03-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I've never been a fan of polarisers, for my photography, but I thought I'd give one a go on the 31mm
Strange case just today I got the 31mm limited from Japan, the issue of polarizers (but in general of all filters), is always controversial, often are the reviews that mislead the real value of the filter,
it remains to be said that the polarizer is a particular filter (can not be postproduced), so the purchase should be made after some tests or after reading and comparing many reviews on the same product.

So I don't recommend any particular brand. Just to name one, I bought a filter from the Poles that came from Russia,
that's excellent. Another thing to keep in mind "the sun must always be on your left or right", never in front or behind.

I put two links to you that will help you in your choice:

Test result polarizing filters

Polarizing filters test

Last edited by maw; 03-17-2018 at 03:30 PM.
03-16-2018, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just chimp to check your shot's not too weird, recompose as necessary or even take filter off.

We're photographers, it's what we do.

03-16-2018, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just chimp to check your shot's not too weird, recompose as necessary or even take filter off. We're photographers, it's what we do.
Sadly I was so excited being inside the crater and actually on the water that I never even thought to look. Came home with an unforgettable experience but not nearly as many good shots as I should have. Just a learning experience.
03-16-2018, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've trashed most of the really obvious ones but this is what to watch out for. This is at 15mm with the DA 12-24.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
03-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #12

If you use it exclusively for land scape that includes the sky, I would say it will be very iffy. With such a wide lens on a FF it will be tuff to keep from getting fall off from the polarizing affect. But as you mentioned shooting into water are taking glare off of windows it will work perfectly. I think it will still be a very good tool if used sparingly.
03-16-2018, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just chimp to check your shot's not too weird, recompose as necessary or even take filter off.
I don't shoot with polarizers much anymore, but when I did, I routinely took the filter off the camera and used it to scope the sky to determine effect at various positions. Angle is everything.

Steve
03-17-2018, 12:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't shoot with polarizers much anymore, but when I did, I routinely took the filter off the camera and used it to scope the sky to determine effect at various positions...

Steve
Mmmm, done that too

---------- Post added 03-17-18 at 08:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've trashed most of the really obvious ones but this is what to watch out for. This is at 15mm with the DA 12-24.
As Clackers says chimp. Yet, I find that I only notice the obvious things on the camera's screen. This example sideways, graduated sky could easily be missed, especially on a bright day and when I'm having to move quickly around as the light is changing fast.

In the past I have used Hoya polarisers on my 16-50 (at the wide end) and graduated skies did catch me a few times. I only noticed them when I got home. The shots were basically useless, but nice and colourful Gave up with them doing this a couple of times.

The K1 has a bigger screen than cropped cameras and the 31 is only one FL, so with chimping and care, a polariser may have some uses, it seems, from what folk here are saying.

I've just looked at the B+W price for a 58mm nano polariser in the UK - £159 ($220) from my usual supplier. I'm planning to visit the Photography Show at the NEC, UK sometime over the next 4 days and this polariser was on my, 'maybe' list. It's looking a little more maybe than before ...

Thanks for your input ...
03-17-2018, 03:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Strange case just today I got the 31mm limited from Japan, the issue of polarizers (but in general of all filters), is always controversial, often are the reviews that mislead the real value of the filter,
it remains to be said that the polarizer is a particular filter (can not be postproduced), so the purchase should be made after some tests or after reading and comparing many reviews on the same product.

So I don't recommend any particular brand. Just to name one, I bought a filter from the Poles that came from Russia,
that's excellent. Another thing to keep in mind "the sun must always be on your left or right", never in front or behind.

I put two links to you that will help you in your choice:

Test result polarizing filters

Polarizing filters test
Lenstip has done a more recent comparison test than the 2009 one, in either 2015 or 2016 as best I recall. It's on the same website as the 2009 test and has more recent models in the test.