Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-18-2018, 06:39 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Digital Camera Utility v5

Hey guys,

Since I have updated my Mac from El Capitan to High Sierra I can no longer load "Digital Camera Utility v5". Well... technically it starts op but the startup picture keeps hanging in the middle of the screen. Nothing works and I have to use "Force quit..." to get read of it. I use the software mainly to convert camera generated HDR jpgs. Lighroom cannot do it unfortunately.

Is there a workaround? Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Attached Images

03-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #2

Such problems happen on Windows 10, there doesn't seem to be a good solution.

You could try clearing the appdata file folder for DCU:

On Windows:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Pentax\Digital Camera Utility 5

If you are using Windows 10 you can just click on the Search (Magnifying Glass button) next to the Start Button and paste in the above folder location. Clear the files in there and the try starting DCU5 again. The DB files sometimes get corrupted or get huge and won't load or take a very long time to load.

Last edited by Not a Number; 03-18-2018 at 09:00 AM.
03-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #3

If you haven’t tried this yet, try downloading the latest version of DCU from Pentax. It may have updated for the latest version of MacOSX.
03-18-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
Closed Account

I seem to have a newer version than you, maybe you can update yours and see if that makes a difference. Good luck.

Attached Images

03-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #5

v5.7.2 is the latest version which is what the OP has according to the screen capture posted.

Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
03-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much to all of you. Just to be clear:

Not a Number:
As mentioned in the thread I am a Mac user NOT Windows But thank you any ways. I can at least try to install the software on my Windows machine and see what happens

pjv:
As the screenshot I have shared suggest I am using the latest version. Så you may want to update your version buddy

My problem is not solved and have no clue what to do. But I do not give up and IF I find out how to deal with it I will definitely let you know

Thank you very much

Regards
03-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidamin Quote
Not a Number:
As mentioned in the thread I am a Mac user NOT Windows But thank you any ways. I can at least try to install the software on my Windows machine and see what happens
Right, but the Mac version will have application specific DB files to track the thumbnails and settings as well. I would search for folders named "Pentax" or "Digital Camera Utility 5" or files starting "PTXUTL" possibly in the "~/Library", "~/Library/Application Support" and "~/Library/Preferences" folders. These files will be created from scratch if you delete them (or move or rename them). The database files have been responsible for the program hanging up on earlier versions.

03-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #8
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
v5.7.2 is the latest version which is what the OP has according to the screen capture posted.

Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
OOPS !!! My mistake.
03-20-2018, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
pjv: Now problem and thank you again for your time

Not a number: I have tried all of your suggestions. It did not help. BUT it gave me a clue to search further and just accidentally I found a file "com.pentax.digital-camera-utility-5.sfl" somewhere deep in the "~/Library" and I just deleted it. And guess what... that's right. It was the sinner in the problem

So thank you once again.

Cheers guys