Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #1

Problem autofocusing in ks2 movie recording

Hi. I got quite some problem with my ks2.. while in movie mode and recording, autofocus dont work properly .i need to push the button for autofocusing and its not quite smooth.. but before recording it's okay while taking pictures too. What seems to be the problem? Thank you

03-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's just how it is- what you're describing is normal. You have to press the AF button, and this only yields a slow type of AF while recording.

Things improved slightly on the K-70 thanks to on sensor PDAF, which allows for continuous video AF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jerhu Quote
What seems to be the problem?
Pentax.

Pentax have devoted little effort to the video function, so even customers buying new products are still being given essentially the same video functionality as 2012 models.
03-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you prioritize video, including auto focus during videos, then Canon is your brand. If you want the best stills camera for a given amount of money, Pentax rules.

If you bought a small Honda Civic and was annoyed it couldn't fit a full sheet of plywood inside, it's the same sort of issue. If you need to haul things, get a truck. If you need to get just you around the city, the Honda is better. They're both vehicles, both can carry things, both can carry people, but different design priorities.

03-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote

If you bought a small Honda Civic and was annoyed it couldn't fit a full sheet of plywood inside, it's the same sort of issue.
No I think that's too extreme.

This is more like if you thought your car would have aircon (which all other cars now do) and when you took it in to be looked at, were told by Pentax that they still only offer manual wind down windows.
You'd find that pretty weird.

Nowhere on the box does it say Pentax doesn't do video very well, and this thread is a classic example of this. Someone gets a Pentax and thinks it's broken because it can't autofocus in video mode, which nearly every other camera can do as standard nowadays.
03-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Autofocus whilst recording video has ruined quite a lot of shots for me working with a dedicated Sony video camera. Be careful what you wish for...
03-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #7
CDW
Site Supporter

If you prioritize video, including auto focus during videos, then Canon is your brand. If you want the best stills camera for a given amount of money, Pentax rules.
I would certainly agree with your comment about Pentax still quality vs that of Canon. As for video, most people that shoot fairly serious video nowadays would recommend SONY or Panasonic over Canon for video. Canon is way behind the curve in terms of the IQ of both 1080 and 4K at somewhat affordable price points.

As FRIES noted, autofocus video can get you in trouble at inopportune times, regardless of brand.

03-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
recommend SONY or Panasonic over Canon for video.

As FRIES noted, autofocus video can get you in trouble at inopportune times, regardless of brand.
Agree.

It’s worth mentioning you could always turn this function off, if you didn’t want it. You wouldn’t be forced to use it, but you should at least have the option in 2018.
03-19-2018, 05:24 AM   #9

Original Poster
So i guess i have to manually focus the video. Anyway im not really into movie recording. i was just curious because i tot that something maybe broken with my camera, but how about buying new lens?Does it solve the prob even a little?

Thank you very much for your replies. i really appreciate it.🙂
03-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
No I think that's too extreme.

This is more like if you thought your car would have aircon (which all other cars now do) and when you took it in to be looked at, were told by Pentax that they still only offer manual wind down windows.
You'd find that pretty weird.

Nowhere on the box does it say Pentax doesn't do video very well, and this thread is a classic example of this. Someone gets a Pentax and thinks it's broken because it can't autofocus in video mode, which nearly every other camera can do as standard nowadays.
I suppose so, but the Pentax has so many features the Canon and Nikon DSLRs don't have at a reasonable price point; their budget models don't have real pentaprisms, WR, in body SR, focus confirmation with MF lenses, compatibility with old screwdrive lenses, moire reduction, a solid build, TAv mode, and on and on.

I'd also say nowhere on the Rebel 6Ti box does it say that the camera has a seriously poor excuse for a viewfinder and the dumbest menu system ever conceived.
03-19-2018, 08:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I’m not denying those real Pentax strengths, but I’m also not blind to the embarrassingly bad weaknesses either. Pentax hasn’t touched its video offering in 6 years now, and it’s hurting the brand.

Some quite entry level Canons have their vastly superior dual pixel AF system and decent video capabilities, including AF during video capture.

---------- Post added 03-20-18 at 04:09 PM ----------

how about buying new lens?Does it solve the prob even a little?
No sorry. The K-70 model Pentax camera does have AF during video mode, but all the others don’t have it. Buying a lens unfortunately won’t change this, the body simply can’t do it with any lens.

As you say, planning your shots around this will help. There is AF before you start shooting, so aim to keep your subject the same distance away from the camera when you are recording.

There is also Manual Focus, but the focussing aids of digital zoom and focus peaking also stop when recording starts.

Good luck
03-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I’m not denying those real Pentax strengths, but I’m also not blind to the embarrassingly bad weaknesses either. Pentax hasn’t touched its video offering in 6 years now, and it’s hurting the brand.

Some quite entry level Canons have their vastly superior dual pixel AF system and decent video capabilities, including AF during video capture.

---------- Post added 03-20-18 at 04:09 PM ----------

No sorry. The K-70 model Pentax camera does have AF during video mode, but all the others don’t have it. Buying a lens unfortunately won’t change this, the body simply can’t do it with any lens.

As you say, planning your shots around this will help. There is AF before you start shooting, so aim to keep your subject the same distance away from the camera when you are recording.

There is also Manual Focus, but the focussing aids of digital zoom and focus peaking also stop when recording starts.

Good luck
ow so the body itself is the problem..

this is my first time posting on this forum and im really glad for you reply. And nvr tot that someone wud reply to me..Im a newbie in photography And still learning..Thanks for the advice ..Thanks for ur help.
03-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

ow so the body itself is the problem..

this is my first time posting on this forum and im really glad for you reply. And nvr tot that someone wud reply to me..Im a newbie in photography And still learning..Thanks for the advice ..Thanks for ur help.

No worries at all. There is lots to get your head around, and this forum is a great place to learn more about your Pentax equipment.

Basically most Pentax cameras cannot autofocus whilst recording video, so you have to prepare for this by focussing before you start recording. If you keep your subject at the same distance from the camera, it should stay in focus.

Or select an aperture like f11 that will keep more of the scene in focus, so the specific focus point is less critical.

Good luck
03-20-2018, 07:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I suppose so, but the Pentax has so many features the Canon and Nikon DSLRs don't have at a reasonable price point; their budget models don't have real pentaprisms, WR, in body SR, focus confirmation with MF lenses, compatibility with old screwdrive lenses, moire reduction, a solid build, TAv mode, and on and on.

I'd also say nowhere on the Rebel 6Ti box does it say that the camera has a seriously poor excuse for a viewfinder and the dumbest menu system ever conceived.
Pentax K-S 2 has almost the same price as Canon 800D, but the 800D has some advantages that is hard to overlook when you try and sell it to beginers and one of the most important one is their marketing. Canon with their entry level cameras is targeting:

1. parents of small children. Canon is advertising their entry level cameras as very good in capturing action. And if you look at the Af from the 800D, on paper is looking more advanced than the one from K1. It shoots 6fps and uses 45 cross-type AF points (45 f/5.6 cross-type AF points, 27 f/8 points (9 cross-type), centre point is f/2.8 and f/5.6 dual cross-type).

2. beginers vloggers. Again, 800D has tilting LCD with touchscreen and the impressive dual pixel af

Pentax K-S2 may be a better camera overall than 800D due to the features that you mentioned, but these days people (young generation especially) are no longer interested in focus confirmation with manual lenses, compatibility with old screwdrive lenses or TAv mode. At least not when comes to entry level cameras.

As I said on more occasions, to me Pentax is looking like a company that is targeting more and more the landscape photographers with their current cameras, which it may not be a bad idea considering the fact that they are not going to invest the necesary money to compete with Canon, Nikon, Sony on other levels. But, if Pentax will have difficulties in the future when comes to market share, one main reason is their lack of marketing and sales strategy.
03-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a observation... This topic is in the troubleshooting and beginner help part of the forum. Athough I respect anyones wish to express their opinion about Pentax as a camerabrand I suggest there are more suitable parts of the forum for that and concentrate on helping fellow members in this part of Pentaxforums.