Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Metz 52 AF and 64 AF on K1

Hello,
I'm planing to buy a new flash unit. But I remember there were some compatibility issues with the Pentax K1. Is anyone using Matz 52 AF or 64 AF on K1? If so, is everything working as expected or are there some known issues?

03-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #2
Forum Member

I tested Metz 64 AF-1 on K1. The P-TTL works fine. However, the autozoom is only upto 105mm. As per Metz, the flash is for 24-200, but for Pentax it won't go more than 105mm.

-emsee
03-19-2018, 05:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Metz 52 AF-1 works fine on K-1. There is a Metz firmware update (v1.4) that you may need to load into the flash to smooth out a few bugs, but applying Metz firmware updates is no problem. Main remaining bug, if I remember right, is that the flash AF assist beam doesn't work on K-1 in FF mode.
03-19-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
pid
Pentaxian

Metz 58 AF-1 und Metz 58 AF-2 will not work as Master with actual firmware on K-1 in FF only in Crop-Mode!

03-19-2018, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Yep, the 52 AF-1 works fine, except for the AF assist beam. It's not the flash's fault but the camera's. I believe it works in APS-C mode, and on live view, but I haven't studied its consistency. Exposure is fine and reliable.
03-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your feedbacks. It's a bit discouraging...
03-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Metz 58 af-2 flash would not fire on the K1 with firmware 3.0.
I was unable to download and open firmware version 5.0 to a MacBook using the updated High Sierra operating system, despite using the Metz Mac download envelope.
It did download and open using a PC and the Metz PC download envelope, and the flash seems to be functioning fine on the K1 now.
I contacted Metz in Germany, and was instructed to contact Manfrotto USA, but neither of them seemed to know (or care) that the firmware update for Mac could not actually be opened using the newest Mac High Sierra operating system. I hope that this saves some PF members some aggravation.

05-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know this thread is a little dated but has anyone any up to date info on the Metz 64 AF-1 on the K-1 ? Has the latest firmware fixed the bugs ?
08-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I know this thread is a little dated but has anyone any up to date info on the Metz 64 AF-1 on the K-1 ? Has the latest firmware fixed the bugs ?
I have a Metz 64 AF-1 running flash firmware 1.2 and K-1 body is on firmware 1.3. The AF assist lamp still does not work in FF mode or even crop mode. AF assist lamp will always default to the built in one.

Additionally, there are still some communications bugs. Sometimes the Metz autozoom incorrectly reports the focal length, even on primes such as the 50mm DA*. Sometimes it'll report 35mm, other times 45mm.

Shame that Metz hasn't updated the firmware on this flash to try and sort out the continuing issues.
08-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
I have a Metz 64 AF-1 running flash firmware 1.2 and K-1 body is on firmware 1.3. The AF assist lamp still does not work in FF mode or even crop mode. AF assist lamp will always default to the built in one.
Thanks for the information.
08-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #11

For what it's worth though, the 64 AF-1 works perfectly on my ancient K10D.
08-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #12

Decided to email Metz yesterday just to confirm and this what they responded with:

QuoteQuote:
Unfortunately the Pentax K-1 Mark II isn’t equipped with the control of the autofocus-measuring beam of an external flash unit. Therefore the AF-measuring beam of the flash unit mecablitz 64 AF-1 digital and also of the comparable flash units from Pentax such as AF540FGZ und AF360FGZ isn’t controlled by the camera. Normally the Pentax K-1 Mark II works with the built-in AF-measuring beam. Unfortunately this also can’t be changed by the firmware of the external flash unit.
08-19-2019, 04:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

One piece of good news that I found out about recently, however. With the K-1 the AF beam didn't work if an external flash was mounted. With my camera upgraded to MK 2, the built-in AF assist does work. It's not as good as using the external flash beam, but at least it's there.

Note that in Live View, the camera's AF beam works even on the K-1.
08-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #14

There seems to be more trouble than only the AF-beam with the K-1 II and the Metz 64 AF-1:
I put the cam with flash on a tripod and switched to Live View. Of course I wanted to use the self-timer (either 2s or 12s) to avoid any cam motion, and: The K-1 tells me that it won't fire the flash. Funny: When switching off Live View and using the Viewfinder, everything's fine, even with the self-timer. Any ideas, what to do with this strange bug?
I will contact Metz tomorrow, but I fear the K-1 is the problem. My K-3 does not show this behaviour.
However, both the K-1 II and the K-3 are obviously not able to tell the flash to use its full focal range. Metz can go to 135mm (manually), but the cam only uses the range till 70mm. I read about this issue elsewhere in an older thread. As yet, Ricoh does not seem to be able to fix this with a software update.
08-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Diabolo Quote
However, both the K-1 II and the K-3 are obviously not able to tell the flash to use its full focal range. Metz can go to 135mm (manually), but the cam only uses the range till 70mm. I read about this issue elsewhere in an older thread. As yet, Ricoh does not seem to be able to fix this with a software update.
I wrote to Metz some time ago about this. Rather than trying to paraphrase their reply, here's their email about the zoom issue quoted below:

QuoteOriginally posted by Metz:
Many thanks for your e-mail as of 09. Aug. 2018.

Concerning the auto zoom setting of the flash unit mecablitz 64 AF-1 digital for Pentax we would like to give you the following information:

Basically the value of the focal length which is used on the camera is transferred to the flash unit by a serial digital data bus. This camera data bus also includes a byte for the focal length. Therefore this byte transfers the value of the focal length to the flash unit and the flash unit sets the corresponding position of the zoom reflector.

However, we had to realise that the camera data bus of Pentax cameras such as Pentax K1 Mark II transfers a maximum focal length of 105 mm. If a longer focal length is used on the camera the camera still transfers the value of 105 mm as maximum value. This is why the flash unit can't recognise a longer focal length and sets always 105 mm.

Unfortunately we can't change it by a modification of the mecablitz 64 AF-1 digital firmware. Normally the camera firmware has to be modified for this. But we can't control this. Therefore if a longer focal length is used on the camera and the maximum guide number of the flash unit is needed the zoom reflector of the flash unit has to be manually set.

We regret that we are unable to give you an other reply and remain
with best regards