Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

Is there a Lightning Trigger for pentax k-s2?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

I am looking for a Is there a Lightning Trigger for pentax k-s2 but not sure if there is one available. Could someone let me know?

Thank you,

Nick

03-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short answer is yes. Just search for "lightning trigger". You need one that has a cable that fits Pentax.

Oh, wait does the K-S2 have an external trigger port? If not you need an infrared or wireless trigger. Still doable but you might need some additional parts.
03-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Many years ago I contacted the Lightening Trigger folks directly to ask about a trigger for the PZ1p film camera. Very nice people who back then had time to engineer one for me. Don't know if that's possible anymore?

They didn't have a compatible trigger at that time, but offered to make one if Pentax could get them some data on shutter lag and shutter timing in general. I gave them the contact info for the primary Pentax service technician (an in-house position back then). I sent Lightening Trigger a wired remote which they spliced into to accommodate their Lightening Trigger by plugging it into the factory Pentax cable release.

Maybe you can facilitate something like this nowadays?

P.S. I still have that Lightening Trigger for the PZ1p if anyone is interested in putting it to use?
03-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Lightning Trigger

The following is listed for Olympus but it looks like the cable is a standard Pentax type release jack.
Sorry Looking at WRONG END NOT PENTAX

Movo Photo LC100-O Lightning/Fireworks/Motion Trigger for Olympus DSLR Cameras | eBay

03-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #5

I was searching for a lightning trigger for my K-S2 a while back. The main problem is the only way to remotely trigger the K-S2 is via infrared. I had contacted the makers of the Pluto Trigger about their device as it had infrared triggering capabilities. Their response was that while the trigger would work for most of the other applications of the device, they did not believe it would work for lightning due to factors of the speed of the lightning and the infrared and shutter lag. I never went any further with it.
03-20-2018, 12:14 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-S2 doesn't have a cable release socket.

If you have a decent location and cooperative storms, you can just use the interval timer. Set up the camera on a tripod. Focus on something pretty far away, switch to manual focus and try not to bump the focus ring. Frame the shot so you get some interesting foreground. I like to shoot around sunset for more interesting light, but also because it's dark enough to use low ISO, f8 or higher, and get good exposures at 6 to 8 seconds. I can then set the interval timer to take a shot every 10 seconds. I let the camera shoot for a while and make adjustments as needed. Here, the storms are smaller and I can see pretty far away, so I can shoot without being in the storm. Still, a weather resistant lens is nice in case I get rained on. I have to delete a lot of shots and what you get is somewhat random, but often get several good shots per storm. Most of the time I'm doing something else during the storm like cooking dinner, so it's multitasking photography time.
03-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
Is there a Lightning Trigger for pentax k-s2?

Thank you very much for your replies!

04-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A trigger that utilises the same 2.5mm jack plug as canon should be compatible, in the same way as a simple remote cable release is compatible (I use one on my K5) with pentax dslr's that also have a 2.5mm remote jack plug.

Nero triggers are descibed as compatible here

NeroTrigger camera trigger is faster (and smarter) than your shutter finger
04-03-2018, 03:38 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
A trigger that utilises the same 2.5mm jack plug as canon should be compatible, in the same way as a simple remote cable release is compatible (I use one on my K5) with pentax dslr's that also have a 2.5mm remote jack plug.

Nero triggers are descibed as compatible here

NeroTrigger camera trigger is faster (and smarter) than your shutter finger
Thank you for the reply!

Pentax k-s2 does not have a simple remote cable release but only a remote trigger via infrared. Therefore there is no 2.5mm jack plug to be ustilized!