Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2018, 02:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I seem to be getting the same exposure when I change the aperture

I seem to be getting the same exposure when I change the aperture this is in av mode and tav mode can anyone tell me which setting I have to switch off or do I use a manual iso also the iso on my k5ii seems to switch on/off differently to my k5 any thoughts on this as well. I shot a sunset and I enjoy varying the exposures but wasn't able to vary it I even switched of the ev compensation and this did nothing.

03-24-2018, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Av, your camera will automatically alter the shutter speed when you change the aperture, so you'll get a similar exposure. In TAv it will attempt to alter the Auto ISO to make up for change in the aperture only, again attempting to give you the correct exposure. Obviously, in TAv, you're able to adjust shutter speed as well as aperture, while in Av mode you can't adjust shutter speed.

I don't know what you mean with:
QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
also the iso on my k5ii seems to switch on/off differently to my k5 any thoughts on this as well.
I shot a sunset and I enjoy varying the exposures but wasn't able to vary it I even switched of the ev compensation and this did nothing.
You could use Drive Mode Exposure Bracketing to vary the exposures. If you use Exposure Bracketing preset 2, you'll get three shots, one under, one as selected, one over.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-24-2018 at 02:30 AM.
03-24-2018, 02:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok I had my e-dial settings wrong for EV Mode.

TAV mode the iso is Auto and you can't change that.

---------- Post added 03-24-18 at 08:43 PM ----------

EV mode you need to be able to control ISO and aperture. I didn't have iso selected I had chosen EV+/- as well as EV which meant I couldn't alter the ISO.

Last edited by Kombivan; 03-24-2018 at 02:59 AM.
03-24-2018, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

TAV mode the iso is Auto and you can't change that.
That is kind of the point of TAv mode !

03-24-2018, 02:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm learning pschlute, got a real name?

Mark got a photo of a Kiwi I have never seen one.

just going to whip up a couple of chicko rolls for dinner brb.20-30mins. think I am going to have to check all my dial settings.

I'm having difficulty switching the manual iso back on.

---------- Post added 03-24-18 at 08:53 PM ----------

Looks like I have to use a nd filter for sunsets and sunrises never needed them with film.

Last edited by Kombivan; 03-24-2018 at 02:50 AM.
03-24-2018, 03:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Noall Point

---------- Post added 03-24-18 at 09:03 PM ----------

can i set the highlights some how to fix the sun problem?

---------- Post added 03-24-18 at 09:08 PM ----------

ISO is ok now I have changed the E-Dial. I can turn it on or off now.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by Kombivan; 03-24-2018 at 03:09 AM.
03-24-2018, 03:10 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm learning pschlute, got a real name?

I'm having difficulty switching the manual iso back on.

Looks like I have to use a nd filter for sunsets and sunrises never needed them with film.
My name is Peter

To get manual ISO press the ISO button on the camera and turn the e-dial

If you want to darken or lighten your metered exposure then you can use bracketing or exposure compensation, or simply use manual mode. Press the green button in M mode to get a metered setting, then adjust your exposure until you get the desired result.

---------- Post added 03-24-18 at 10:13 AM ----------

can i set the highlights some how to fix the sun problem?
The dynamic range of your scene is too much for the camera sensor (any camera sensor) to cope with. This is the type of scene where a Graduated ND filter would help.

03-24-2018, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a kiwi shot as requested. Not a good photo - they are immensely difficult to photograph as they are nocturnal.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-24-2018, 04:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter I have altered the highlight settings in landscape mode using the kitchen light don't think it will be enough for the sun. I have ND filters I've never used.

Thats a beautiful photo mark very maternal. You have a higher ISO with the noise filter. Nocturnal bit like me. Mark if you try to get them on a full moon then you could possibly go up to 32000 as the moon light on them would also reduce the noise and use the Noise filter as well.

Chicko Rolls were Great for dinner when you upgrade the gear you have to make allowances so you can pay for it.

Last edited by Kombivan; 03-24-2018 at 04:32 AM.
03-24-2018, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Can i set the highlights some how to fix the sun problem?
Hello Bill.

As you seem to take a number of shots in difficult lighting (i.e. a scene that ranges from very bright to quite dark), I wondered if you have found and experimented with the K-5 tools for dynamic range:-

1. Go to Camera Menu 3 and select D-Range Setting, then turn Highlight Correction On and set Shadow Correction to the tallest bar (I leave these settings on all the time). If you compare the images of the same scene shot with and without those settings you will see a difference - when set they will slightly reduce the exposure of the highlights and slightly brighten the shadows, revealing more detail in your image. (Be aware that these settings will not enable you to set the lowest ISO values, but I have always found 200 to be a good minimum anyway.)

2. For a more pronounced effect, the K-5 has an HDR Capture Mode in Camera Menu 2 - when you select this, first tick Auto Align, then choose one of the HDR Capture settings - the Auto setting works well for me for most outdoor scenes. Set the shutter speed to at least 1/100s for hand-held shooting, and you need to hold the camera very still, or e.g. rest it on a wall, because it takes 3 quick shots at different exposures when you press the shutter button. It will then combine parts of each shot (which is why you need Auto Align) to give a more balanced image brightness. Be patient, as it takes about half a minute to produce the final image.

Experiment carefully with the different settings in these options to see their effects, which can range from subtle to strong, and to see which might suit your taste. I find the strong HDR effect to be unnatural, so I stick to the Auto or low settings.

I know you don't like referring to the User Manual, but I strongly recommend that you study pages 214, 215, 216, and 217 to get more info about these useful settings that might give you better results out of the camera when the dynamic range of the scene is very wide.

Cheers.
Philip (MrB1)

K-5 Manual: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf

Last edited by MrB1; 03-24-2018 at 04:40 AM.
03-24-2018, 04:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've read 214,215,216 and 217. If I was to extract yellow or white that wouldn't reduce glare would it there would be a hole where it was with another colour there eh. I tried the HDR before but the camera was malfunctioning then I think the ND2 or ND$ will be the answer or I do have what is called a nude filter somtimes that might also help.or a polarizer filter. And thank you too Phillip.

I haven't used my car door window mount yet that might be the go. I shake too much with the monopod but I have my new fishing rod holder belt coming from china to sit my mono pod in so I can move around more freely that's how I used to do it at weddings people thought I was a bit strange with and old fishermans belt on but it did the job.

I was a sight my MZ-5n with the AF400T Flash and battery pack mono pod and fisherman's belt. With that 17mm m42 lens I found I will be able to do one of my signature shots again. but the glare from the sun will spoil my other favourite shot it was pretty awesome.

Last edited by Kombivan; 03-24-2018 at 05:10 AM.
03-24-2018, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I've read 214,215,216 and 217. If I was to extract yellow or white that wouldn't reduce glare would it there would be a hole where it was with another colour there eh. I tried the HDR before but the camera was malfunctioning then I think the ND2 or ND$ will be the answer or I do have what is called a nude filter somtimes that might also help.or a polarizer filter. And thank you too Phillip.

I haven't used my car door window mount yet that might be the go. I shake too much with the monopod but I have my new fishing rod holder belt coming from china to sit my mono pod in so I can move around more freely that's how I used to do it at weddings people thought I was a bit strange with and old fishermans belt on but it did the job.

I was a sight my MZ-5n with the AF400T Flash and battery pack mono pod and fisherman's belt. With that 17mm m42 lens I found I will be able to do one of my signature shots again. but the glare from the sun will spoil my other favourite shot it was pretty awesome.
I really can't see how an ND filter will help. You will just get a slower shutter speed or a higher ISO for a given aperture.

03-24-2018, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I really can't see how an ND filter will help. You will just get a slower shutter speed or a higher ISO for a given aperture.
Correct. He needs a Graduated ND filter, although he will still end up with a dark sky. Sometimes the scene has too great a DR to capture a photo. Shooting directly into the sun is fraught with problems
03-24-2018, 06:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
shame there isn't a spot ND filter for shooting the sun.
03-24-2018, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is the old film beautiful.
Attached Images