Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My K-1 images don't always show up on my SD card.

Hello, I use two Sandisk Extreme Plus 90 mb sd cards. I normally put one in the first slot of my K-1. Normally everything works fine. But lately, when I go to my computer to retract my images, nothing is there. I tried slot two and got the images the first time, but not the second. It happens sparaticly, and I never really trust it. It's ok when I'm home, and can retake the images again. But Spring and Summer are coming, so I will be out taking pictures. If there is anything I can address now, I really want to. When they don't record, nothing at all is on the card. What can I do to insure this is resolved?
Thank you very much,
Terry

03-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
are these new cards or older/been in use for awhile SD cards?
03-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you turn the camera on with only one card in a slot, it will record to that card until it is full.
03-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

In playback mode, you can use the sd card button to switch between cards, in order to find out which card holds the photos you want to transfer.

Note that if you power the camera on with only one SD card, it will switch to using that card the next time you turn it on, as pschulte alluded to.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Simple things, are the cards formatted in the camera? Make sure they aren't locked - but you should get a messag if they aren't.
03-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
are these new cards or older/been in use for awhile SD cards?
I bought them new with the K-1 in January.
Thanks

---------- Post added 03-25-18 at 02:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If you turn the camera on with only one card in a slot, it will record to that card until it is full.
Hi Peter,
I always use the first slot, and never shoot enough images to fill up the one card, not even close. This problem just started occurring a week or so ago. Really frustrating.
Terry
03-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had an issue with a 128GB card on one computer. It was an older machine and couldn't accommodate the card and wiped some of the data off it. When I put it back in the camera, it started doing what you mention - not taking data. Fortunately it was when I first started using my K-1 and I only lost one folder with not-too-important photos.

I had to reformat the card and not use that computer - ever since, things ok. Don't overlook what you use to read the card as being a possible culprit. I always use my camera for reformatting.

Last edited by Bob 256; 03-26-2018 at 08:04 AM.
03-25-2018, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Simple things, are the cards formatted in the camera? Make sure they aren't locked - but you should get a messag if they aren't.
Hi Ramsey,
I always format my card, between each use. I will definitely make sure they aren't locked, or getting close.
Terry
03-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a couple of Sandisk cards that have been causing me problems with my K-1 and K3 on occasion. While they would not download if I put them in the computer (or even show they had pictures) they would if I left them in the camera and plugged it into the computer via usb. I’ve used Sandisk for years so this bothered me. But I switched to Lexar for both cameras and have no issues. (Note that this is a new computer and should have no trouble reading any cards)
03-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Had an issue with a 64GB card on one computer. It was an older machine and couldn't accommodate the card and wiped some of the data off it. When I put it back in the camera, it started doing what you mention - not taking data. Fortunately it was when I first started using my K-1 and I only lost one folder with not-too-important photos.

I had to reformat the card and not use that computer - ever since, things ok. Don't overlook what you use to read the card as being a possible culprit. I always use my camera for reformatting.
Thanks, Bob. I just may get two new cards and a nice reader. I was putting a lot of things together quick when I first got my K-1.
Terry
03-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Thanks, Bob. I just may get two new cards and a nice reader. I was putting a lot of things together quick when I first got my K-1.
Terry
Hey Terry, I think you jinxed me. I shot a bunch of photos yesterday and today and was going to transfer them (JPEG) to my computer, and no JPEGs??? I'm using two cards and have my K-1 in DNG+ mode and the last batch of shots prior to yesterday went to both cards as they should, but these didn't - DNGs only on card 1.

I have to blame it on reading about your issue today

I don't think I shot any photos without both cards in the K-1 prior to this happening.

I still have the DNGs but if the JPEGs are gone, it means I'll have to convert all those DNGs to JPEGs to put on a disc for another party - that could be a bummer.

I'll see if I can find out what's going on as it might help you with your problem.

ADDENDA: Well Terry, I figured out MY problem but sorry to say, it probably won't help you. Earlier this morning (right after shooting todays folder), I took out card#2 with my supposedly missing JPEG folders and the first thing I did was transfer those to my laptop (which has an SD slot). When I did that, I inadvertently used CUT instead of COPY. After that, I got tied up in editing the remaining JPEG files on the card. Six hours later and after reading your post, I went back to the card to transfer the JPEGS and of course, since I had used CUT, they weren't there. I had totally forgotten that I already moved them.

I still would be trying to figure it out but I decided to move the DNGs to my laptop from card #1 (just to be safe) an lo and behold, there were already two folders on my laptop with the same names - guess what was in them. At that point, it all came back to me and I figured out the CUT part (more numb brain syndrome on my part).

Sorry this isn't going to lend you any help but it's a great example of dumb and dumber on my part.

Last edited by Bob 256; 03-25-2018 at 09:04 PM.