Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Videos on K-30: The camera records itself NOISILY writing to its SD card! aaaaugh!

Hello all, I haven't posted in forever, and my life is on a completely different track than is was last time I was here. "Life happens" as they say.

I am currently in the process of selling off most all of my collectibles in order to survive. One of those things is a very cool old Macintosh Plus with an original Apple external hard drive...both vintage 1986.

I thought I would take a video with the K-30 showing how well the machine works. I tried several times, and kept hearing this odd noise all through every single video. It's a rhythmic "skrch-skrch-skrch" or "brrrt-brrrrt-brrrt-brrrt" sorta sound. I eliminated all noises in the room (fans, other computers running, etc) and it was still there throughout every video I tried to make.

It suddenly dawned on me: The K-30 is recording (and amplifying via its Automatic Level Control) the sound of itself writing to its own SD card! I am certain of it. The rhythmic noise matches the red flashing light as the camera records to the SD card.

Here is the video I finally had to settle with...if you listen on amplified speakers it is unmistakably loud...and annoying!

I really don't want to even USE it, because some people might not read my explanation and will think the hard drive is making the noise, which (in the world of Mac collecting) signals a no go. The main reason I wanted to make a video was to show that the hard drive makes NO BAD NOISES...and the camera itself is inserting what anyone familiar with a hard drive would call "A BAD NOISE."

I looked in the manual, worked my way through every menu option several times, but I can find NO setting to turn off the 'Automatic Level/Volume Control" on the K-30. Has anyone else found any way to keep this sound off their videos? Or is this just a really bad design flaw?

I would imagine that being able to turn off the "ALC" when recording videos would lessen the volume of the noise, but I can't find any way to do that. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thx.

03-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by beebs Quote
Hello all, I haven't posted in forever, and my life is on a completely different track than is was last time I was here. "Life happens" as they say.

I am currently in the process of selling off most all of my collectibles in order to survive. One of those things is a very cool old Macintosh Plus with an original Apple external hard drive...both vintage 1986.

I thought I would take a video with the K-30 showing how well the machine works. I tried several times, and kept hearing this odd noise all through every single video. It's a rhythmic "skrch-skrch-skrch" or "brrrt-brrrrt-brrrt-brrrt" sorta sound. I eliminated all noises in the room (fans, other computers running, etc) and it was still there throughout every video I tried to make.

It suddenly dawned on me: The K-30 is recording (and amplifying via its Automatic Level Control) the sound of itself writing to its own SD card! I am certain of it. The rhythmic noise matches the red flashing light as the camera records to the SD card.

Here is the video I finally had to settle with...if you listen on amplified speakers it is unmistakably loud...and annoying!

Screen Closeup Demo of 4MB Mac Plus & HD-20 - YouTube

I really don't want to even USE it, because some people might not read my explanation and will think the hard drive is making the noise, which (in the world of Mac collecting) signals a no go. The main reason I wanted to make a video was to show that the hard drive makes NO BAD NOISES...and the camera itself is inserting what anyone familiar with a hard drive would call "A BAD NOISE."

I looked in the manual, worked my way through every menu option several times, but I can find NO setting to turn off the 'Automatic Level/Volume Control" on the K-30. Has anyone else found any way to keep this sound off their videos? Or is this just a really bad design flaw?

I would imagine that being able to turn off the "ALC" when recording videos would lessen the volume of the noise, but I can't find any way to do that. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thx.
Writing to the SD card makes no noise. It could possibly be the camera's SR system keeping the sensor in place.

The only real remedy here is to use an external mic (or recorder since the K-30 has no external input).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2018, 10:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam. I guess I assumed it was the writing to the card, because it synced up with the red light flashing. Can the SR system be turned off completely? I have the camera on the tripod, it's not moving at all while it's recording, so I'm not sure why the sensor would need keeping in place.
03-26-2018, 11:24 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks, Adam. I guess I assumed it was the writing to the card, because it synced up with the red light flashing. Can the SR system be turned off completely? I have the camera on the tripod, it's not moving at all while it's recording, so I'm not sure why the sensor would need keeping in place.
Unfortunately you can't. While mechanical SR is not available in the K-30's video mode (stabilization is done electronically if enabled), the mechanical SR system still needs to be energized to keep the sensor in place. Otherwise it would fall out of alignment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2018, 11:57 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for explaining...that makes sense, in light of the noise I'm hearing. It's in short bursts, and that fits the scenario of having to constantly adjust to keep it steady. I will have to live with it, then. I had just never noticed that sound before, and when there's no other sound, that automatic level control just cranks that little mechanical brrrrt right up to fill that audio space.

The Pentax, of course, took the best video of the working screen, as far as the "rolling lines" interference and other video artifacts that usually show up. It's actually very minimal. I tried two other cameras, and they both had much worse "rolling line" type visual defects, the worst one for that being the camera on the iPhone.
03-27-2018, 01:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My father bought the family ME Super back in 84 and the original Apple Macintosh the same year. He really was a bleeding edge technofile. But to us then, he was just boring ol dad! He turns 90 this year and the ME Super is still going strong. The Mac is somewhere under the house. Even if I ever find it do I dare try and turn it on?
03-27-2018, 01:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's very odd, but chances are the mic is picking up electric noise via the camera's internal components. Do you have an university or some kind of audio lab nearby that could measure frequencies accurately?

03-27-2018, 01:34 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
My father bought the family ME Super back in 84 and the original Apple Macintosh the same year. He really was a bleeding edge technofile. But to us then, he was just boring ol dad! He turns 90 this year and the ME Super is still going strong. The Mac is somewhere under the house. Even if I ever find it do I dare try and turn it on?
Well, if it's been kept dry and clean, it would likely power up and ask for a startup floppy. They're amazingly resilient little critters. I had not fired this Plus up in at least 15 years, and it is still working fine. This one didn't see much in the way of abuse in its life, and its capacitors seem to be holding out fine. The original Macs had a tendency to blow capacitors on their analog/power boards, but most of them were repaired/upgraded, if they survived. I have an original 1984 Mac that was upgraded. If you've got an original 128k Mac that's STILL a 128, that would be something!

---------- Post added 03-27-18 at 03:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
That's very odd, but chances are the mic is picking up electric noise via the camera's internal components. Do you have an university or some kind of audio lab nearby that could measure frequencies accurately?
The noise seems more mechanical than electrical, if that makes sense...but that just may be the way it ends up sounding on the final recording. Whatever it is, the automatic recording level control definitely amplifies it when there is no other sound being recorded. Just sitting there, it's "brrt-brrt-brrt"-ing away.

And I don't know of any audio labs myself, but this is the Bay Area, and there's pretty much everything within a few mile radius...Berkeley's right down the way.
03-27-2018, 01:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In this case, the obvious solution is to mute the audio on the video before uploading. If you really need the occasional bing from the computer, you could record the audio separately on a smartphone or dedicated recorder.
03-27-2018, 04:56 AM   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

I had that issue as well, i updated the firmware and it became an occasional problem, rather than always there
03-27-2018, 05:17 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there an external mic option on the k30? If so move the mic away from the camera.
03-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for your suggestions!

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
In this case, the obvious solution is to mute the audio on the video before uploading. If you really need the occasional bing from the computer, you could record the audio separately on a smartphone or dedicated recorder.
I had thought of that, but I wanted to have the sound of the hard drive spinning up and then down at the end to show it was functioning properly, plus the Mac does "talk" at one point in the demo. And re: recording separately, I don't really have the skills to sync up a separate soundtrack to the video.

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I had that issue as well, i updated the firmware and it became an occasional problem, rather than always there
Just checked, and the installed firmware is the last version made for the K-30, 1.06.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is there an external mic option on the k30? If so move the mic away from the camera.
Sadly, nope. K-30 hasn't got a mic jack.

I will just have to let it be what it is, and hope that people will read my explanation.

Many thanks to Adam (and ALL of you) for continuing to make this such an excellent community. This forum was why I decided to buy a "new" Pentax in the first place, back in 2012-13. I don't visit as often as I used to, and it's wonderful to know y'all are all still here, making this the only place to come for All Things Pentax.
03-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had thought of that, but I wanted to have the sound of the hard drive spinning up and then down at the end to show it was functioning properly, plus the Mac does "talk" at one point in the demo. And re: recording separately, I don't really have the skills to sync up a separate soundtrack to the video.
From what I have read - mind you I haven't done this yet - A very simple sync can be accomplished if you are doing a simple single take. Just use a clapboard or literally clap on camera - to give yourself an audio spike and visual cue for resync. This shouldn't be difficult as there are no lips to sync too and minor misalignment will not cause major confusion.

Honestly for this you might just want to use a cell phone camera.