Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2018, 02:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monopod in low light

Hello Pentaxians

Do you think the use of a monopod will increase the AF accuracy of the camera in low light situations.
The issue is that I'm shooting at indoor volleyball games shooting at 1/500 or higher, the hand shake problems aren't a problem at this speed, but should it incresse the AF accuracy?

regards

03-27-2018, 03:20 AM - 3 Likes   #2

I believe yes

Hi,
I believe monopod can really help the AF.
A few days back I read some interview with a Canon technician explaining that lens stabilization ON helps autofocus precision in challenging situations as it stabilizes the picture and helps the AF sensor - I believe this is similar to what monopod with steady hands can do.

I have no great results with shooting dogs when running really fast - when handholding the lens. Especially not with our fastest dog that I never shot precisely focused when running other than perpendicular to the camera. However, yesterday I was shooting my dogs with KP and Sigma 70-200/2.8 (latest version). I have a cheap Rollei tripod that can be converted into monopod. I mounted the camera onto the the monopod, and also I turned OFF the in body stabilization and turned ON the in lens stabilization (just to add even more stability to the AF. The light was really bad and I must admit the black dog is VERY fast (much faster than looks on photos) and erraticly moving even when running at full speed so the 1/2000s I used was not really fast enough and I can see some motion blur in all the photos. Nevertheless, I was trying to focus on the black dog's head. I used expanded area S and AF Hold OFF. These are just converted from raw, nothing done to them. High ISO does not help either but I hope you will get my point. I mean, I have to improve my technique further to get better but I consider this is not that bad focusing at all for such an extremely difficult subject (if only you could try shooting this particular dog to see what I mean ;-) ).

mike
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
03-27-2018, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, you should see improved results, but practice with the monopod so it is natural to you.
03-27-2018, 03:59 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I use the same Sigma 70-200 lens as you but use IBIS. The results are not too bad. Next time I'll try lens stabilization to see if is better. Many Thanks

03-27-2018, 04:53 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luismpg Quote
Monopod in low light
For me a monopod works well at various sports events, where after longer periods, big or fast glass becomes heavy to hold steady.
03-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikepl Quote
Hi,
I believe monopod can really help the AF.
A few days back I read some interview with a Canon technician explaining that lens stabilization ON helps autofocus precision in challenging situations as it stabilizes the picture and helps the AF sensor - I believe this is similar to what monopod with steady hands can do.

I have no great results with shooting dogs when running really fast - when handholding the lens. Especially not with our fastest dog that I never shot precisely focused when running other than perpendicular to the camera. However, yesterday I was shooting my dogs with KP and Sigma 70-200/2.8 (latest version). I have a cheap Rollei tripod that can be converted into monopod. I mounted the camera onto the the monopod, and also I turned OFF the in body stabilization and turned ON the in lens stabilization (just to add even more stability to the AF. The light was really bad and I must admit the black dog is VERY fast (much faster than looks on photos) and erraticly moving even when running at full speed so the 1/2000s I used was not really fast enough and I can see some motion blur in all the photos. Nevertheless, I was trying to focus on the black dog's head. I used expanded area S and AF Hold OFF. These are just converted from raw, nothing done to them. High ISO does not help either but I hope you will get my point. I mean, I have to improve my technique further to get better but I consider this is not that bad focusing at all for such an extremely difficult subject (if only you could try shooting this particular dog to see what I mean ;-) ).

mike
In the lens do you use position 1( 2 axis stabilization) or position 2( 4 axis stabilization)?
03-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by luismpg Quote
In the lens do you use position 1( 2 axis stabilization) or position 2( 4 axis stabilization)?
I believe position 1 is complete 4-axis and position 2 is for panning. With the monopod and a subject not so brutally changing direction I felt better with the complete 4-axis IS in position 1 despite it jumped a bit sometimes, of course. But nothing that could affect my tracking. I havenīt tested it really properly yet but it seems to me that unless the subject is extremely erraticaly moving (like BIF, for example) then position 1 should not be a problem (for soccer, basketball etc.). But try for yourself what works best with your shooting style.
mike

03-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've generally found that the uniforms tend to be mostly one color so the low light plus lack of contrast makes things more difficult for the auto focus to hit the bullseye, i always try to focus on the numbers on the uniforms to help the focus out as much as possible. I've also found that my delay in pressing the shutter after focus was locked wasn't helping either, you need to be quick on the trigger. The monopod may help but i've never tried mine, i was just more comfortable with the freedom of movement hand held.