Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I've read some where on this forum that the ABF is mostly caused by non use of the camera. I don't know that is the cause but a friend had a K-30 he didn't use much and last month his camera developed the ABF. He uses it with the AA Adapter also.
I can say unequivocally that this is not a universal truth. My camera was used a lot (K-50) and in the middle of a vacation it suddenly developed the issue - one picture was fine, the next was not.

04-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
AA adapter is temporary fix
I've been using the adapter for a year.

But the PLM will not work on the K-30 because it didn't get the update that the K-50 did. Though since my K-30 is broken, I'm going to attempt to use the K-50 firmware on my two K-30s to make them like a K-50 and then I can use the PLM version.

My hands shake too much for me to attempt any repair of the solenoid. And Precision wants $206 to fix mine because it's out of warranty.

My K-50 is only a year old. The broken K-30 I bought used 4 years ago and had 33,000 actuations.on it before it broke.
04-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I've been using the adapter for a year.

But the PLM will not work on the K-30 because it didn't get the update that the K-50 did. Though since my K-30 is broken, I'm going to attempt to use the K-50 firmware on my two K-30s to make them like a K-50 and then I can use the PLM version.

My hands shake too much for me to attempt any repair of the solenoid. And Precision wants $206 to fix mine because it's out of warranty.

My K-50 is only a year old. The broken K-30 I bought used 4 years ago and had 33,000 actuations.on it before it broke.
I was using the K-50 with AA adapter for a while and it finally stopped working too.

$206 for repair is rip off.

Get this instead.

Pentax K-50 16.3MP Digital SLR Camera Body K50 (Used - Mint- Condition)
04-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't need another body. I have a K-50 and another K-30. I bought the white K-50 last year.

04-10-2018, 02:56 AM   #20

what a sad thing, my k50 just got the same problem, in LV mode it is ok all the time, but not for viewfinder mode, sometimes fine but most of the time taking dark photos...
04-13-2018, 01:56 AM   #21
Forum Member

Pentax K-30 / K-50 Black Picture Problem and Fix (Aperture Control Block) | pak ming wan

I did this with a K50 and K500. Both are working now. Both took black(closed aperture) pictures before.
04-13-2018, 02:57 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Wasn't there a guy in the US doing this repair for a flat $100? I can't remember who that was but that would be the best option.

I am a great believer in home repairs BUT for the typical K-30/K-50 buyer I think that is asking a bit much even if it is relatively straight forward. It is VERY easy to accidentally break some of the electrical cables once the camera is opened up. I really think the home repair option is for people who like to do that sort of thing almost as a hobby. I have fixed lenses BUT I have also ruined lenses trying to fix them. A camera is much more complicated than a lens.

Last edited by Theov39; 04-13-2018 at 03:04 AM.
04-13-2018, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #23
Forum Member

Without trying one will never improve. I was also a "typical" K50 buyer. And if you break a cable, solder it back or yeah, take it to a repair and let them do it.
These cameras are relatively cheap. Might get the body from 100$.
04-13-2018, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

The post below gives information about a professional repair option for this problem. No manual dexterity required

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
My K50 developed the aperture block problem over a year ago. I decided to send it to a California repair shop following advice from others in the Forum I believe. It cost $100 plus shipping. A one year guarantee was given. The service was prompt and the camera has been without problem since then. I recommend this repair shop.

It is called PC35 PhotoLab in Pine Grove, CA. email is pc35@volcano.net. Phone is 209-296-1796. Cell phone is 209-753-8553. Give him a call and see what he can do for you.
04-16-2018, 02:46 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Yup that did the trick! I hope I can keep the body alive until I have enough money to buy a K-70. Here in Denmark it costs just shy of 700 USD, and KS-2 about the same...
04-19-2018, 12:30 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
My K50 developed the aperture block problem over a year ago. I decided to send it to a California repair shop following advice from others in the Forum I believe. It cost $100 plus shipping. A one year guarantee was given. The service was prompt and the camera has been without problem since then. I recommend this repair shop.

It is called PC35 PhotoLab in Pine Grove, CA. email is pc35@volcano.net. Phone is 209-296-1796. Cell phone is 209-753-8553. Give him a call and see what he can do for you.
The post below gives information about a professional repair option for this problem. No manual dexterity required
Neither a good idea and YOU should know this by now, allthough you still have zero personal experience, which most people cannot know!
One should be careful in giving advice based on "hear-say", it can go badly wrong and.... often does:

In this case: They repair it but one does still now know HOW they repair it! Most who repair either use a new green solenoid (which eventually can go wrong again because it has the wrong "holding force" or they do the filing method, which again often goes wrong!

So the only real solution is either DIY with a white solenoid or ... to buy a white solenoid and have the person who does the repair use this solenoid!

Usually the green or filed solenoids work about another year. A few officially repaired K30's (green solenoid) have produced the same fault after
a bit over that 1 year warranty. Same problem with filed solenoids.

The strange thing is: YOU have at least had the chance to understand this problem... and yet you give such advice based on quicksand!
I don't understand this...!!!

Anyway, I do not trust PC35 Photolab at all. They write:

"We charge a flat $100.00 plus return shipping for repair of the aperture control block. This repair includes a modification of the aperture control block in order for it to function properly. We believe this should be a permanent fix of the aperture control block and we will guarantee proper aperture function for one year. If the aperture block fails again, return the camera to us and we will repair it again."

and further on they write:

"Please Note: There are now several "How To" online videos showing you how to fix your aperture control. These are crude and unreliable fixes. We have successfully repaired hundreds of Pentax cameras over the last two years. We use specialized tools, some homemade, and specialized instruments to actually measure what we change in the aperture control. We have done the research to know WHY the aperture control fails. Without knowing this any fix is just a temporary band-aid. We are now getting customer cameras with attempted Youtube video repairs only to end up with a camera in worse shape and still not working."

Ah.... fear is the best method to make money... old school method!

This is basically a lie what this guy is babbling about here. He does most likely exactly the same , i.e. files the anchor and... he lies as well here when saying:

Aperture Repair Service For Select Pentax Models

"This repair service applies to the repair of aperture control block failure in several Pentax DSLR models including the K-30, K-50, K-S2, K-r, K-x, K100D, and most older istD models. This list may not be complete. Aperture control block failure is most common in the K-30 and K-50. It is less common* in other Pentax models."

source: Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair

Why?

Because he suggests that the K100D and *istD models as well as K-r and K-x have the same problem. But none of them ever developed those problems, only the K30/50/500 and very few K-S1/S2).

*The term "less common" is basically a clever biasing of the reader to not attempt to use a white solenoid. i.e. a suggestive manipulation of the reader that using this method would not be safe, which is... if done proberly, of course not the case!well.

Thats what I read behind such information, which IMO is bullshitł !!!

Last edited by photogem; 04-20-2018 at 08:44 AM.
04-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Neither a good idea and YOU should know this by now, allthough you still have zero personal experience, which most people cannot know!
One should be careful in giving advice based on "hear-say", it can go badly wrong and.... often does:

In this case: They repair it but one does still now know HOW they repair it! Most who repair either use a new green solenoid (which eventually can go wrong again because it has the wrong "holding force" or they do the filing method, which again often goes wrong!

So the only real solution is either DIY with a white solenoid or ... to buy a white solenoid and have the person who does the repair use this solenoid!

Usually the green or filed solenoids work about another year. A few officially repaired K30's (green solenoid) have produced the same fault after

The strange thing is: YOU have at least had the chance to understand this problem... and yet you give such advice based on quicksand!

"We charge a flat $100.00 plus return shipping for repair of the aperture control block. This repair includes a modification of the aperture control block in order for it to function properly. We believe this should be a permanent fix of the aperture control block and we will guarantee proper aperture function for one year. If the aperture block fails again, return the camera to us and we will repair it again."

"Please Note: There are now several "How To" online videos showing you how to fix your aperture control. These are crude and unreliable fixes. We have successfully repaired hundreds of Pentax cameras over the last two years. We use specialized tools, some homemade, and specialized instruments to actually measure what we change in the aperture control. We have done the research to know WHY the aperture control fails. Without knowing this any fix is just a temporary band-aid. We are now getting customer cameras with attempted Youtube video repairs only to end up with a camera in worse shape and still not working."

This is basically a lie what this guy is babbling about here. He does most likely exactly the same , i.e. files the anchor and... he lies as well here when saying:

"This repair service applies to the repair of aperture control block failure in several Pentax DSLR models including the K-30, K-50, K-S2, K-r, K-x, K100D, and most older istD models. This list may not be complete. Aperture control block failure is most common in the K-30 and K-50. It is less common* in other Pentax models."

Why?

Because he suggests that the K100D and *istD models as well as K-r and K-x have the same problem. But none of them ever developed those problems, only the K30/50/500 and very few K-S1/S2).

*The term "less common" is basically a clever biasing of the reader to not attempt to use a white solenoid. i.e. a suggestive manipulation of the reader that using this method would not be safe, which is... if done proberly, of course not the case!well.

A suggestion for putting this to bed would be to cough up the $100 (anyone) and then open the repaired camera and examine it afterwords.
04-20-2018, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Why?

Around twenty years ago, my wife and I made a rudimentary computer from integrated circuits. I have electronics knowledge and some competency with soldering tools; however, at this point in my life I would choose not to repair my K-30 myself if/when it fails. Right now, I'm using it with AA batteries, but if it fails anyway I will use it with some manual lenses I keep aside for just that purpose. I have practiced that mode - I'd rather stay Av/Sv/P - but that is the choice I would personally make if faced with the choice. Personally, sending it to Calif would be my personal second choice. I would go back to using my Q-7 or my Super Program before I would attempt to repair it myself. Those are how I personally view the options.

I believe each person should make the decision for his/her self. We should tell them about options, but not try to make the choice for them.

As far as where problems have occurred is concerned, I don't believe all issues have been reported here. If they claim to have repaired a model, I am wiling to believe they did it - otherwise they are opening themselves to federal action, and I doubt they are that foolish.

added: expressing reservations/concerns is totally appropriate. Making personal attacks is totally wrong.

Last edited by reh321; 04-20-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added comment
04-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Around twenty years ago, my wife and I made a rudimentary computer from integrated circuits. I have electronics knowledge and some competency with soldering tools; however, at this point in my life I would choose not to repair my K-30 myself if/when it fails.
Thats your choice. But it also means that you have zero experience about it:

I believe each person should make the decision for his/her self. We should tell them about options, but not try to make the choice for them.
You only can give true advice if you "KNOW" about it.

As far as where problems have occurred is concerned, I don't believe all issues have been reported here.
Wrong. Everything has been reported here.
But you had nothing to report but are one of the most foremost reporters.

If they claim to have repaired a model, I am wiling to believe they did it - otherwise they are opening themselves to federal action, and I doubt they are that foolish.
Have repaired K30's etc. yes. If they say they have repaired Kx's or Km's with failed solenoids, nobody can controll that.
There is no danger for federal action there.

Never ever had any other Pentax K before the K30 been reported here (nor elsewhere) having had problems due to a faulty solenoid.
BECAUSE everything has been reported here. It started with the green solenoid. Period!

I have plenty reports of people with zero knowledge about soldering repairing successfully their K30's and K50's.

So you... being scared about taking this on for yourself (with experience about soldering etc) is fine, but warning others
indirectly because you are scared but don't know is rather strange:

added: expressing reservations/concerns is totally appropriate. Making personal attacks is totally wrong.
There are no personal attacks. I have for example reservations/concerns about somebody with zero experience giving advice "as if he/she had
experience". So one could say, I have "personal" reservations/concerns.
And I express them... to help others to try. For god's sake: If a K30 is damaged, it is quite useless, not everybody wants to go manual. I don't
and I have learned it, I can do it. I have a K5 with a split-screen matte which I use for manual. My AF lenses I want to use with AF.

The repair is pretty easy.

So to you I recommend: Never ever try to repair exchange your K30's solenoid. It has to go wrong .... It must go wrong....
04-21-2018, 04:22 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Thats your choice. But it also means that you have zero experience about it:

You only can give true advice if you "KNOW" about it.

Wrong. Everything has been reported here.
But you had nothing to report but are one of the most foremost reporters.

Have repaired K30's etc. yes. If they say they have repaired Kx's or Km's with failed solenoids, nobody can controll that.
There is no danger for federal action there.

Never ever had any other Pentax K before the K30 been reported here (nor elsewhere) having had problems due to a faulty solenoid.
BECAUSE everything has been reported here. It started with the green solenoid. Period!

I have plenty reports of people with zero knowledge about soldering repairing successfully their K30's and K50's.

So you... being scared about taking this on for yourself (with experience about soldering etc) is fine, but warning others
indirectly because you are scared but don't know is rather strange:

There are no personal attacks. I have for example reservations/concerns about somebody with zero experience giving advice "as if he/she had
experience". So one could say, I have "personal" reservations/concerns.
And I express them... to help others to try. For god's sake: If a K30 is damaged, it is quite useless, not everybody wants to go manual. I don't
and I have learned it, I can do it. I have a K5 with a split-screen matte which I use for manual. My AF lenses I want to use with AF.

The repair is pretty easy.

So to you I recommend: Never ever try to repair exchange your K30's solenoid. It has to go wrong .... It must go wrong....
You really believe every Pentax failure ever is reported here???

I am not recommending any particular solution. As long as the OP is aware of all known solutions, I am satisfied.