Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2018, 09:52 PM   #1

Pentx 6x7 + weird pictures

Hi,

I hope you are well if you are reading this (and thankyou).

I recently purchased a Pentax 6x7 (having shot a Minolta Autocord TLR for a few years) because I love the 120mm. I wouldn't consider myself a novice or an expert when it comes to film photography but I understand enough to take an ok photo. APerture, DOF, shutter, ISO/ASA and all that jazz. I don't have a metered prism so I use sunny 16 or a 35mm camera with an innbuilt light meter that is reliable and checking against an iPhone app (you can call me out on this if you want, it's just my method). My problem is, the photos turn our real dodge. I have my film developed professionally by experts so that can't be the issue. They've suggest I have left the film in excessive heat, but I know I had not as I submitted some 35mm rolls I kept with the 120mm and they turned out fine. Could anyone offer some advice / suggestions on the photos below and what might the issue.... they do come out super grainy also. For the record, it was Portra 400 film. Fresh from the fridge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have thought maybe a general service but I have to post away which is quite expensive.

Many thanks,
Sebastian

Attached Images

03-31-2018, 11:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The third shot suggests the camera's shutter might benefit from a CLA.

But what's really strange is all of the dust specks in the frame. Unless your lens is absolutely littered with dust (and this would be clearly visible if you look at the glass), something is telling me that the guys developing the film did a bad job. And what's with the vertical banding visible in #2 and #4? Almost looks like they're taking pictures of each frame with a dusty DSLR, rather than scanning it.

If you're underexposing (maybe add 1/3 of a stop to all your exposures) or if the film is old, grain also becomes more visible, but I don't think that's the main issue here.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The third shot suggests the camera's shutter might benefit from a CLA.

But what's really strange is all of the dust specks in the frame. Unless your lens is absolutely littered with dust (and this would be clearly visible if you look at the glass), something is telling me that the guys developing the film did a bad job. And what's with the vertical banding visible in #2 and #4? Almost looks like they're taking pictures of each frame with a dusty DSLR, rather than scanning it.

If you're underexposing (maybe add 1/3 of a stop to all your exposures) or if the film is old, grain also becomes more visible, but I don't think that's the main issue here.
Hi,
I see that you are in Australia, but where about? There is a good camera repairer here in Brisbane, f16.
Regards.
04-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #4

It looks like underexposure to me, and the third shot looks like the second curtain of your shutter is catching up with the first. CLA. Another thing, leaf shutters often run slower than focal plane shutters because of old lubrication, so you may be used to seeing more exposure with your autocord.

---------- Post added 04-02-18 at 12:54 PM ----------

Maybe your film processors lack a medium format scanner, or they use a different scanner? The spots look odd to me too. An inverted negative shot with a dirty dslr sensor would have white spots, wouldn't it?

Last edited by Ranchu; 04-02-2018 at 11:56 AM.