Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Dropped my 28/2 how to get dented filter off?

Hi, I dropped my A 28mm/2

and filter is dented and can't remove it.
Any advice how to get it off?
I tried gently bend the filter with pliers but didn't work.

It was bad week for my manual focus lenses. I bought 35/2 last year and it worked fine until last week when aperture blades got very slow..

Attached Images

04-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the best way may be to try to work the dent out with a tool like this:

https://www.amazon.com/DSLRKIT-Repair-Filter-Ajustment-Steel/dp/B00SYBYTZO/r...ords=lens+vise

work it slowly a little at a time rotating it into the dent versus trying to press it out directly - read the comments

This tool is a bite pricier, but may be worth it. Stainless should be pretty tough - not sure how durable the first tool I linked above will be:

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Camera-Adjustment-Panasonic-Olympus/dp/B...ords=lens+vise

Last edited by clickclick; 04-02-2018 at 12:54 PM.
04-02-2018, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carefully use a screwdriver to slide under the remaining glass and pop it out. Use a thin piece of cardboard against the glass as a protection while you do so. Carefully blow out the glass shards. Cut a disc of thin cardboard that barely fits inside the filter ring. Grab the filter ring with pliers and twist counter clockwise, bending the ring inward while also twisting the bend upward. The cardboard protects the glass. Bending the filter ring inward reduces its diameter and eventually you will be able to remove or unscrew the ring. Be careful.
04-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
Hi, I dropped my A 28mm/2
There are those pliers suitable for unscrewing the filters, and they generally work well. Your 35mm has taken a big blow, so with a little patience you can try this "Canon" method, the principle is the same.
Let us know if you can try it, good luck you.

Metodo Canon link

04-02-2018, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure if the tool mentioned in# 2 ( the one being sold by Amazon ) would work

It was useful to force broken threads of the lens itself back into position when I damaged my DA 16-85 zoom

not an attempt to force a bent filter into " true " so it would unscrew from a lens.

it might though, I don't know

I got lucky when I dropped my K 3 + SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM resulting in a jammed filter. other than scratching, there was no damage to the filter and I was eventually able to twist off the filter.

good luck and please let us know if you are able to get it fixed
04-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First remove the glass as in post # 3.
Then use a tool carefully as described in post # 2.
Probably you will need to use the tool again after the filter ring has been removed.
Then you may be able to use filters again.
04-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would use the tool on the lens portion (if needed) after destructively removing the filter as described by others.

04-02-2018, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Before you undertake any work on it,

1. gently blow any glass particles off of the lens surface.
2. put two or three layers of electrical black tape over the surface of the lens.
3. now remove the glass.
4. put the lens into the freezer for a few hours
5. remove the stuck filter - freezing the lens first will make it come off much easier.
04-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That looks like quite a hit. How is the helicoid?
04-03-2018, 04:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And this is why I like big rubber hoods. I think you already have reasonable advice on how to remove. Have someone hold the lens while you try to remove the filter, one more pair of hands will help a lot.
04-03-2018, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #11

Reducing the diameter sounds like the easiest option. Protect the front element and remove the broken filter glass. Since the metals used for the filter ring are usually fairly soft - aluminum or brass you could just cut the ring with a diagonal cutters and easily bend the ends inward.
04-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Reducing the diameter sounds like the easiest option. Protect the front element and remove the broken filter glass. Since the metals used for the filter ring are usually fairly soft - aluminum or brass you could just cut the ring with a diagonal cutters and easily bend the ends inward.
Yes, this is the method I use most often when called upon to remove smashed filters.

Often the glass breaks without damaging the front element, but sometimes the shards blast inwards and do permanent damage - but that's less than 10% of the time, in my experience. Usually, the filter does its job and takes the hit instead of the lens, and leaves the front element pristine. But prying out the remaining glass without scratching up anything is something best done carefully.

Once you've got the glass out of the way, I find that "folding" the filter ring inwards will allow you to just lift it out - without having to try to unscrew what could be distorted threads. You don't want to damage the front filter mount any more than has happened already. Thin filters will often bend inwards when gripped and twisted with a strong set of pliers. Thicker filter rings sometimes have to be cut to weaken them. The diagonal cutter suggestion above may work, but I've either filed a notch in the ring with a hand file (filing outwards, to avoid getting metal dust into the lens) or even carefully, very carefully, using a Dremel with a cutting wheel. Just remember to stop short of the lens filter mount.

Oh, and be very careful with the glass shards. Optical glass is very sharp.
04-03-2018, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd put a piece of clear packing tape on the filter glass before trying to remove it. That will keep it together and maybe from damaging something else. Clear so you can see what's going on.
04-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Before you undertake any work on it,

1. gently blow any glass particles off of the lens surface.
2. put two or three layers of electrical black tape over the surface of the lens.
3. now remove the glass.
4. put the lens into the freezer for a few hours
5. remove the stuck filter - freezing the lens first will make it come off much easier.
Don't follow 4 unless you want condensation inside your lens.
04-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #15
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
Dropped my 28/2 how to get dented filter off?
The filter now is gone! I don't think you'll be able to unscrew it with any traditional method, it's bent so is the thread too. Amen

If you still haven't solved the problem, follow the steps I've posted you before, with some variants,

1. Turn around the front lens of down, and with tweezers (the ones used by women are fine) remove all the pieces of glass very gently.

2. Then with a photographer's pump eliminates any residue of glass / or other material
Insert on the surface of the lens cotton or gauze cut into multiple layers.

3. Obtain a Hacksaw for example,
and after anchoring the lens cuts in half and arrives almost at the end (the border area between the filter and the lens), rotate by 90° and repeat the same operation.

4. At this point, with a medium tweezers you can detach the parts of the filter with great attention to tears.

Let us know how the work is progressing

Last edited by maw; 04-03-2018 at 03:20 PM. Reason: correction