Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2018, 10:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens stuck on a vivitar macrofusing teleconverter

I am not sure what happened, but one of my pentax-a 50mm 1.7 lens got stuck on the teleconverter and I am not able to get it off. I have put other lens on my teleconverter multiple times and its never caused any issues. not sure what happened this time. The only thing i can notice is that now the aperture lever seems to not rotate fully as I try to take it out. On the lens I am not able to go to A mode, instead of being able to go all the way to f22 and then A mode, it only goes till F16 when the lens is locked to the teleconverter. When I try to loosen the lens off it only loosens when the aperture is fully open, if its at f16, i cannot even try to unlock it. Anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong and how I can get this off.

Thanks.

04-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax-A 50 f/1.7 has a plastic thingy that holds the ball in the aperture ring. This often breaks off and gets stuck causing the aperture ring to lock up. I'm not sure if that would cause the lens to get stuck on the TC though. But it might depending on where the loose plastic thingy ended up.

The plastic thingy is heat welded to the lens and eventually breaks loose. If you can get it apart it can be glued back on with epoxy, if you get all the parts out OK.
04-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for the reply. I managed to apply some force and it came out. not sure what caused it to get stuck though. i tried other lenses after that and they all seem to be working. So hopefully it was a lens specific issue. I could delete this thread, but not sure how to..
04-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It kind of sounds like the TC has jammed on the lens aperture lever. It has been many years since I took one of those TCs apart but I vaguely recall that removing the rubber focus grip revealed that the barrel was two halves, joined by the focus grip glue. So my first thought is the haves came loose, rotated independently, jammed the aperture lever and now the lens can't rotate enough to unmount. You could test that theory by seeing if the two halves of the TC barrel actually can move independently.

I know the TC does come apart because I repaired the springs for the lens contacts once. I just can't find any pictures or descriptions how it comes apart.

04-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by donpjt Quote
I am not sure what happened, but one of my pentax-a 50mm 1.7 lens got stuck on the teleconverter and I am not able to get it off. I have put other lens on my teleconverter multiple times and its never caused any issues.
The known aperture ring issues on the A 50/1.7 may be a factor, but a jam-up of the aperture actuator and/or the aperture ring position coupling is a more likely cause. The couplings on TCs and extension tubes are not made to the same standard as those on most camera bodies and if either lever on the lens slips past the coupler on the TC, the lens may get stuck.

Steve
04-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The known aperture ring issues on the A 50/1.7 may be a factor, but a jam-up of the aperture actuator and/or the aperture ring position coupling is a more likely cause. The couplings on TCs and extension tubes are not made to the same standard as those on most camera bodies and if either lever on the lens slips past the coupler on the TC, the lens may get stuck.

Steve
I would second this. Indeed the user manual for this TC states:

QuoteQuote:
Mounting
To insure proper meter coupling with your camera, first mount your Vivitar Macro Focusing Teleconverter to your camera as you would any of your lenses. Seat it securely; do not overtighten. Attach your lesns to the Teleconverter in the same manner as you would attach it to your camera. Properly mounted, the Macro Focusing Teleconverter coupling system fully maintains automatic meter and diaphragm operations.
Note the manual also warns with lenses longer then 200mm or heavy lenses the lens should be supported while turning the focus ring on the TC. Otherwise you could put excessive wear on the mechanism.
04-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. However I did not know that the A 50/1.7 already had aperture ring issues. either way I was able to get it off with a some force.. Not ever going to attach the A 50 1.7 to that ever again

04-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't know about the 1.7 but my pentax-a 50mm 1.4 has a pin which extends in the "A" position.

This may potentially get stuck in a screw head or similar.

Taking the lens out of "A" could be the answer.