Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #1

Are the electronics built in on the pentax 28 to 200mm. Zoom compatible with the elec

Here is a question maybe someone can answer for me. I have a KS-2 and just got the pentax 28mm to 200mm zoom lens made by Tamron for Pentax. I am wondering if the lens electronics are in any way compatible with the cmarea's electronics with reference to aperture, shutter speed, and auto focusing? If so, how should I go about setting the menu's to take advantage of the capabilities?

04-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The Pentax-FA 28-200/3.5-5.6 zoom is fully compatible with your K-S2 and other Pentax dSLRs for all exposure modes and focus automation. No special camera settings are needed. Auto focus is done using the motor in the camera body through the AF drive pawl on the mount. To use:
  • Mount the lens on the camera
  • Move the aperture ring on the lens to the "A" position (depress the small lock button to accomplish this)
  • Turn the AF switch on the body to the AF position
  • Turn the camera on and take photos
I hope this helps.

Steve
04-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The FA series of lenses have a chip inside them that communicates with the camera and transmits distance information, zoom and MTF data to the camera to be used for normal and flash exposure calculation.

Nothing needs changing in the camera, although in the Hyper Program modes you can select how the camera responds to changes in light by selecting one of various program modes.

Regards

Chris
04-12-2018, 02:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Nothing needs changing in the camera, although in the Hyper Program modes you can select how the camera responds to changes in light by selecting one of various program modes.
You can change the Program Line on the high end cameras like the K-3 or K-1, but not on the KS-2.

04-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks very much for your help. I have been able to get the lens to function as desired. I have other older lenses which I also want to use occasionally, but this 28 to 200mm is a great all aorund lens. Thanks again for your kind assistance!
04-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You can change the Program Line on the high end cameras like the K-3 or K-1, but not on the KS-2.
This is true as to changing the nature of the Program Line. But simply by using the thumb and finger e-dials when in P mode, with the K-S2 you can instantly switch to either Tv or Av program modes if you wish to over-ride the camera's auto-choice of aperture or shutter speed when in P mode, and select your own value instead, without having to change the mode dial first to Av or to Tv. A touch of the green button restores the fully-automated P operation. The green button is also very useful when in (Hyper) M mode, for taking fast, efficient meter-readings, getting an instant meter-centered exposure setting, and is especially efficient for taking spot meter readings around a scene. The K-S2 is equipped for full use of the Pentax Hyper System, and the lens being discussed is fully compatible also.
04-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Mike. So to use that feature, I take it that it is required that you have to program the dials. I'm not quite sure how to do that, as I haven't played with the camera a lot yet, and the same is true of the hyper "M" mode. I have to spend more time with this camera. Thanks again for your help.

04-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
This is true as to changing the nature of the Program Line. But simply by using the thumb and finger e-dials when in P mode, with the K-S2 you can instantly switch to either Tv or Av program modes if you wish to over-ride the camera's auto-choice of aperture or shutter speed when in P mode, and select your own value instead, without having to change the mode dial first to Av or to Tv. A touch of the green button restores the fully-automated P operation. The green button is also very useful when in (Hyper) M mode, for taking fast, efficient meter-readings, getting an instant meter-centered exposure setting, and is especially efficient for taking spot meter readings around a scene. The K-S2 is equipped for full use of the Pentax Hyper System, and the lens being discussed is fully compatible also.
It seems strange to me that the Hyper-program and Hyper-manual features are not called out in the manuals for recent model cameras. Back in the day, both were promoted and frequently called out in marketing materials and in reviews.

Steve