Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 06:40 AM   #1

AF button K3ii

When using the AF button to focus (back button focusing). do I have to hold the AF button if I want to recompose after I focus.

04-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

In general no, you can release it.
If your subject is moving and you set up AF.C, then you may want to keep pressing the AF button. If you release it, the focus distant remain at where it locked.
04-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. When using AF.S once focus is established it stays once you release the button. That is the big advantage of back button focusing. Using the shutter button to focus causes the camera to refocus every time you touch it.

When using AF.C you can focus and release and it will work the same as AF.S but if you hold it down it works as AF.C. For that reason I usually have the camera in AF.C so that if I hold the button down I have AF.C but if I focus and release it functions as AF.S. Best of both worlds. Another advantage of back button focus.
04-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Charben Quote
When using the AF button to focus (back button focusing). do I have to hold the AF button if I want to recompose after I focus.
It depends on your AF button settings (menu >> record mode 4 >> Button Customization >> AF Button). The default (AF 1) is to enable AF on both shutter half-press the AF button, meaning that if you press the shutter release after the AF button, the camera will focus again. If you change to AF 2, focus will only be done with the back button and focus will be held until you press it again.

Steve