Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #1

Pentax K-r Cannot Use This Card

Hello,

I have a K-r Pentax camera and recently got a 64GB SanDisk to use with it however the camera is giving me the "Cannot Use This Card" Screen, i researched and found someone posting on this forum before suggesting they updated the firmware for the camera, i tried this however it just isn't working.

>Format SD card
>I download the latest firmware
>Plug SD Card into computer and move the firmware to it
>Safely remove SD card and put it into camera
>Hold menu while turning on and no prompt to update firmware is given?

I'm at a loss here so any help would be appreciated guys!

Thanks.

04-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need a SD or SDHC (i.e. <= 32Gb) card in order to install the update that adds SDXC support. Once that's done, your 64Gb card should start working.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You need a SD or SDHC (i.e. <= 32Gb) card in order to install the update that adds SDXC support. Once that's done, your 64Gb card should start working.
Really? Thats one i would have never got! Thanks, buying a 16GB right now!
04-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by MoldySquidFish Quote
Really? Thats one i would have never got! Thanks, buying a 16GB right now!
Yup, that's all there's to it. If you run in to any further issues with the firmware update, please let us know. There are some general troubleshooting steps here:

Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI Suggestion. For transferring updates, and for taking a few dozen images in my "studio." I keep several 1GB, 2GB and 4GB cards in the "studio." These can sometimes be obtained very cheaply from places such as Walmart or Staples. They're handy to have on hand for such purposes.
04-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MoldySquidFish Quote
Hello,

I have a K-r Pentax camera and recently got a 64GB SanDisk to use with it however the camera is giving me the "Cannot Use This Card" Screen, i researched and found someone posting on this forum before suggesting they updated the firmware for the camera, i tried this however it just isn't working.

>Format SD card
>I download the latest firmware
>Plug SD Card into computer and move the firmware to it
>Safely remove SD card and put it into camera
>Hold menu while turning on and no prompt to update firmware is given?

I'm at a loss here so any help would be appreciated guys!

Thanks.
Page 52 of the k-r operating manual says the camera can use SD or SDHC cards.

The documentation for the latest firmware update (version 1.14) says "compatible with SDXC cards" (see page 2 "Changes to V1.01"). Documentation: 'Firmware K-r V1.14.docx' available at:
Downloads - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S