Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10d Backfocusing - In auto and manual focus modes! Physical issue?

Hello,

Bought a used k10d, and noticed that everything is a bit out of focus - using AF or MF. No such issues with my K-5 using same lenses. (M and F series primes, tried w/ 18-55 and F35-105 and same result). And yes, all ok w/ diopeter adjustment... (which wouldn't affect AF anyway)

Got to a bit of testing, and it seems that my eye and the AF agree - but that the results are not in focus. Backfocusing is clearly found when shooting a brick wall, F50/1.7 wide open at an angle, and straight on the wall is blurry. Using AF or MF.

Any help? Anyone ever pulled one of these apart? Would be happy if all were ok in MF, as I don't use AF much....

Thanks.

04-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gdneil Quote
Bought a used k10d, and noticed that everything is a bit out of focus - using AF or MF
The PDAF system and viewfinder manual focus use a different light path, so most potential causes would not affect both paths. Questions:
  • Are you doing manual focus using the viewfinder focus screen or are you using AF confirm (beep and green hexagon in the viewfinder)?
  • Is there any chance the factory AF settings might have been fiddled with using the so-called debug mode? The former owner might know.
  • How is the general AF performance (speed and ability to lock)?

Steve

(...seven years with a K10D before purchase of K-3 in 2014...tons of manual focus work..)
04-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, and to answer your questions:

-Manual focus with the viewfinder focus screen, noting that the AF confirm usually agrees with my eye
-I forgot about the debug mode - and bought from classifieds locally, and can't contact former owner. But then I can search on debug mode here and figure it out..
-AF seems fine in speed and lock. (and I have it on center point focus, by the way)

I think my approach will be as follows:

1) Work on shims for the focus screen - seeing that people have made them out of various materials, might give it a try?
2) After MF good, and assuming I can get it within acceptable standards, try to mess with debug mode for aufo-focus?

I had forgotten about the shim idea when I posted yesterday.

Does this sound reasonable?