Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

focusing manual lenses

As far as I am told has pentax a splifield focusing screen for KP. Is it better than the optical and auditive help ion the camera. A spli field screen war the only "fault" in my old spotmatc. I will try to change it with a screen from Fujivaa

04-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
As far as I am told has pentax a splifield focusing screen for KP
Hi Niels,

When I bought the Pentax K20 in 2008, one of the first purchases I made was the split-field focusing slide,
also because I was still used to film reflex, but I can tell you that it is still useful now and so I didn't replace it.
The condition is that it is used with luminous lens not more than f/2.8 possibly.
04-21-2018, 11:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks
Has it any influence on af accuracy?
04-22-2018, 01:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks
A split prism focus screen wont affect AF as the AF sensor is in the bottom of the mirror box. It may affect metering though. Certainly spot metering will be affected.

Does the KP have interchangeable screens ? I didn't think it did.

04-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some suggest that the screen is the same as for earlyer pentaxes such as the ks 2, but users has told that there is no advantage in relation to the focus peak. on ebay there are severall sellers with splitscreens for sale.
04-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

but users has told that there is no advantage in relation to the focus peak
I find using live view, zoomed to 100% beats any split-prism focus screen i have used.
04-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
maw
Pentaxian

Thanks
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Certainly spot metering will be affected.
I find using live view, zoomed to 100% beats any split-prism focus screen i have used.

I did not get false information with optics focusing screen, also for the focus I could see that the screen and the green led for confirmation are very close, or are activated in simultaneously.
As for the measurement, that could be subject to being influenced (but not much) is the spot measurement, personally it did not create many problems for me the other ways do not affect it.
If you work with the display (K10 and K20, K100, K200 excluded), there is the problem of overheating and also you do not have the same speed between focusing and framing
there is always a margin of delay.

However everyone has his own method nothing to complain about.

Here a link to download/view the KatzEye Optics installation instructions

04-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
I did not get false information with optics focusing screen, also for the focus I could see that the screen and the green led for confirmation are very close, or are activated in simultaneously.
That might have been ok for a K10 and cameras of that era, but the KP is a 24MP sensor camera. The margins are tighter and misfocus is clearer for all to see. The green hexagon is not a reliable indicator of perfect focus, that is why the cameras AF system (of which green hex is part) has adjustment parameters now.

I used a split prism on the DS and the K10 and found spot metering to be hopeless.

ps KatzEye went out of business long ago.
04-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
maw
Pentaxian

I used a split prism on the DS and the K10 and found spot metering to be hopeless.

ps KatzEye went out of business long ago.
Hi pschlute,

I own the K30 and the K3II, and I use the green led because the advantages of the screen especially in photos of bird action or other is not so performing.

I know that KatzEye has closed for a long time, but I put the link because the guides can still be downloaded, for those who need it.
04-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I didnot know that the screen can be oveerheated. how many minutes can it be turned on before it is dangerous?
04-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didnot know that the screen can be oveerheated. how many minutes can it be turned on before it is dangerous?
It is not an issue - camera has a protection device. It is also claimed this heat can also increase noise in your image - I have tested under usual usage and nothing is visible - maybe it applies to video usage. The only downside is greater battery usage which is a nothingburger. I use a lcd viewfinder with liveview, focus peaking and the zoom functions and it is easily the most useable and precise procedure.
04-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks