Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #1

Wierd Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC problem

So, I have this lens and it has been perfect since I got it about an year ago. Using it on K-1 has been a pleasure, until today...
The focus has "gone". Normally I keep it at infinity as it is focused perfectly for landscape. Rarely I move the focus ring back 1 or 2 mm for closer objects in the distance. Today I was out for a walk and I noticed that the focus at infinity is not there anymore. It was as if the focus ring is set at 10m and that is the maximum. The lens sits tight in my drawer when it's not used and it has never been hit or dropped. It literally changed itself over night...

Any thoughts will be appreciated?

04-19-2018, 12:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possibly the focus ring screws have slipped? I believe its fairly easy to adjust - I will probably have to adjust mine when I finally get one back (it was decentered out of the box).
04-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Try recalibrating your focus ring. Some lenses were poorly calibrated from the factory and didn't get the full focus range. Maybe your lens was originally okay but the screws loosened over time?

This video shows how I adjusted my lens. Calibrate the focus ring of the Samyang 14mm F2.8 | DSLR Astrophotography
04-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Unmount/mount if you haven't -- mine fits a bit tight, maybe mismounted somehow? Also try other lenses and make sure your body hasn't gone wonky or you have moved the eyepiece adjustment. If it is the lens, the ring is usually mis-calibrated from the factory -- maybe it was loose and just moved. Fairly easy adjustment if that's the case.

04-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
Body is perfect (I have tried other lenses), so is the eyepiece (I have used LV to confirm the focus problem). That leaves the "screws are loosened" thing... I will try to calibrate according to the video and post the results. Greetings!
04-21-2018, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Following the videos over YouTube, I think I managed to fix my lens. I've done some test and it all seems good for now. Lets hope it stays that way!

Greetings from Bulgaria!
04-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well, the problem is nowhere near to a "solved" state. It appears that the focus is not even there at any point. No matter where I turn the focus ring, there is no focus...

04-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Markovo Quote
Well, the problem is nowhere near to a "solved" state. It appears that the focus is not even there at any point. No matter where I turn the focus ring, there is no focus...
If the lens is still under warranty, send it in for repair/replace. What you describe is something out of place internally.

Steve
04-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #9

Original Poster
Sadly, that's my only option... Thanks for the replays. may the focus be with you Pentaxians!