Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-1 (II): is there a way one accidentially can disable the direct-access-buttons?

since yesterday I now own a K-1 II- nice - quite curious the upcoming weeks, how far ff differs from shooting on an apsc-sensor, I come from a K-3...

so, since this afternoon I can't use the direct-access buttons while shooting normaly by using viewfinder, f.e. when pushing the button for drivemodes nothing happens, screen stays black...the direct-access- buttons though work as usually when being in live-view- so my question, is there any button(s) I might have pushed to disable these buttons? or is it some kind of bug I'm facing? Couldn't find anything in the manual so far- but then, it's less than 24hrs now I own this body...

04-19-2018, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
A very tiny button above the drive mode
04-19-2018, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations.

When viewing your rear LCD screen when not in Live View, is it black, or can you see the information screen? If it's blank, press the INFO button and scroll to the full display thumbnail. Now what happens when you press the drive mode button?

If not, maybe your directional keypad is set to move AF points first (which is a custom setting and how my camera is configured). If this is the case, press the AF Point button above the directional keypad first.
04-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sealight Quote
since yesterday I now own a K-1 II- nice - quite curious the upcoming weeks, how far ff differs from shooting on an apsc-sensor, I come from a K-3...

so, since this afternoon I can't use the direct-access buttons while shooting normaly by using viewfinder, f.e. when pushing the button for drivemodes nothing happens, screen stays black...the direct-access- buttons though work as usually when being in live-view- so my question, is there any button(s) I might have pushed to disable these buttons? or is it some kind of bug I'm facing? Couldn't find anything in the manual so far- but then, it's less than 24hrs now I own this body...
Yes, C21 (I believe) makes it so the AF point selection button must be pressed before the 4-way controller is unlocked.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-19-2018, 12:27 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But it is recommended to become familiar with the Lock function on your K-1. I have foung it extremely useful to prevent inadvertant changes in camera settings.

Last edited by jbinpg; 04-19-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling
04-19-2018, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
If not, maybe your directional keypad is set to move AF points first (which is a custom setting and how my camera is configured). If this is the case, press the AF Point button above the directional keypad first.
This ^ ^ ^

Steve
04-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
thank you very much everyone!

that "tiny little button" did the trick...

always funny when changing equipment how such little things for a moment almost make you feel nervous...same as changed position of buttons- guess, it'll take a while until I get used to the placing of the liveview and view-button, right now I'd say the positioning on the K-3 was better...

regarding the button-lock, this change at least makes me try now having my cam in select-focus-point, usually I had my cam set to single focus point...

04-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

t, it'll take a while until I get used to the placing of the liveview and view-button, right now I'd say the positioning on the K-3 was better...
disagree, now you could do it with one hand, with the k3 you need 2. Its more logical. After a while using the k1 and then using the k3 you will come to the same conclusion
04-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

thank you very much everyone!

that "tiny little button" did the trick...

always funny when changing equipment how such little things for a moment almost make you feel nervous...same as changed position of buttons- guess, it'll take a while until I get used to the placing of the liveview and view-button, right now I'd say the positioning on the K-3 was better...

regarding the button-lock, this change at least makes me try now having my cam in select-focus-point, usually I had my cam set to single focus point...
I'm glad this worked for you.

I still use my K10D. I love the button layout on that camera, and it took a while to get used to the K-1's buttons. I never liked the button layout on the K-7, K-5, or K-3 because with the K10D, the 4-way directional buttons move the AF point selection by default. I never use a single point and am always moving the AF point with nearly each shot. I hated having to press a separate button first to change the focus point, because how often do we change our white balance? It surprises me so many generations of cameras have a button dedicated to WB. The first setting I changed on the K-1 was to move the AF points with the directional buttons by default.
04-22-2018, 04:56 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I'm glad this worked for you.

I still use my K10D. I love the button layout on that camera, and it took a while to get used to the K-1's buttons. I never liked the button layout on the K-7, K-5, or K-3 because with the K10D, the 4-way directional buttons move the AF point selection by default. I never use a single point and am always moving the AF point with nearly each shot. I hated having to press a separate button first to change the focus point, because how often do we change our white balance? It surprises me so many generations of cameras have a button dedicated to WB. The first setting I changed on the K-1 was to move the AF points with the directional buttons by default.
meanwhile I use AF mostly for shooting moving subjects, like birds or action, or when taking some handheld shots, where I don't have the time or just being too lazy to set up my tripod ...as with WB, since I shoot in RAW I actually spend not a single moment on that when I'm out, I do all the WB in PP, where it actually is one of the things I mostly care about...a lot of times I later end up having at least two different WB applied to my shots...
04-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

right now I'd say the positioning on the K-3 was better...
Change is hard! I switch between the K-1 & K-3 and have trouble adjusting to the new lay-out on the K-1. That's partly because I'm old and set in my ways and partly because I was always stupid about such things. And, of course, the more functionality, the more room for confusion.