Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Haida CPL filter - which one?

Hi all!

I am beginning to get more into using filters and I really am taking to the 'cokin z' size filters.
I have purchased a cheap eBay holder, a 10-stop Haida, few HiTech NDs, and Kood GNDs.

I will mostly be using this setup with my 18-50 RE kit lens, but I also have a nice 24mm f/1.8 and I hope to get the new 11-18mm f/2.8...

My next step is to get a CPL.

I've seen a couple Haida options on eBay.
1) Includes a better holder and a round CPL that attaches into the holder.
Haida 100-Pro Filter Holder + 77mm Adapter Ring + CPL / 100mm - Pro Series Kit | eBay
2) Just a square CPL.
Haida 100x100mm CPL Optical Glass Circular Polarizer C-POL Filter for Lee | eBay

Has anyone had experience with these options? Which is preferred? Is there going to be a benefit like avoiding vignetting or better handling?
Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Happy spring time !

04-20-2018, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I wouldn’t buy a square CPL. When you’re in a situation where you need to be using a CPL and a graduated filter at the same time you will most probably never be able to rotate them to get the best polarization effect and align the grad filter with the horizon at the same time. So my recommendation would be to go for option 1).
04-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
I wouldn’t buy a square CPL. When you’re in a situation where you need to be using a CPL and a graduated filter at the same time you will most probably never be able to rotate them to get the best polarization effect and align the grad filter with the horizon at the same time. So my recommendation would be to go for option 1).
I can't believe I didn't consider that.. Thank you so much for the response.
All the best,