Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2018, 01:13 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Electrical problem with Z-1p (PZ-1p)

Hi,

saturday I loaded in a Z-1p (PZ-1p), not used for a few months , a roll and a new battery. The film is loaded without problems. Sunday I go out to take some shots.... I turned it on but the camera shown the battery icon, after some try the camera become hot in the handgrip top zone and starts to smell of burnt plastic. I removed the battery. Now when I put the battery inside the camera and I turn it on... the process restart! I changed the battery... same behavior.

Anyone encountered same problems? Is there a solution?

Thank you.

04-23-2018, 01:34 AM   #2

The has got to be a short circuit somewhere. A component broke or burned out or a switch or relay jammed. There is no way to tell except opening up the camera and finding the cause.

Since it uses a specific type of battery it's not likely that the voltage is wrong.
04-23-2018, 06:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was the battery the correct, non rechargeable one?
04-23-2018, 06:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Was the battery the correct, non rechargeable one?
Yep. I have another Z-1p that works with these batteries.

04-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry on that one. It sound's like it's time to retire the camera - repair would cost more than you'd pay for getting a used one on ebay (they are a great camera). Sound's like maybe the main drive motor gave up and even finding a replacement would be pretty hard so you'd be turning to a used one for parts. Getting a used one in good condition for a replacement might be the way to go if you want to stay with the PZ-1p.

It's a sad story when an older model develops a problem since repair and parts become a real issue, but it's bound to happen at some point and you're stuck with the decision on where to go from there. Check ebay and you might be surprised - sometimes nearly mint items float to the surface and show up.

You didn't mention trying to remove the film - possible jam may have caused the problem but it doesn't sound good with the heating issue - probable permanent damage. In any case, I would have the film out of the camera before testing it again.
04-24-2018, 03:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for the "remove the film" hint. I already removed the film but not tried also to use the camera. I will do.
04-24-2018, 05:09 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Thank you for the "remove the film" hint. I already removed the film but not tried also to use the camera. I will do.
Have a good look in the battery compartment, maybe compare it with the second camera. If you are lucky something has got in there or gotten bent and is shorting the battery rather than the camera itself.