Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2018, 05:18 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

With the cheap adapters: Remove the spring, use a gentle thread locker to mount the adapter to the lens, use one adapter per lens and semi permanently convert them to K mount. Use the kind of thread locker that can be removed later.

I have had little trouble with my Kalt adapter from the 60's. So if you go third party I suggest older vintage adapters.

The original Pentax is still the best overall.

04-26-2018, 05:37 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This actually becomes fairly expensive over time. 10 lenses with $20 adapters equals $200 plus all the fiddling. Better to find a K30 or K50 with a failed ACB for cheap and permanently mount an adapter. You get an spare camera in the process.

I still fail to understand the love for the genuine pentax adapter. It costs an absurd amount of money, apparently demands mucking with the retaining springs and won't work with lenses that require an aperture pin to be depressed. And it seems to leak light on narrow base lenses.

Last edited by kernos; 04-26-2018 at 05:41 AM. Reason: addition again
04-26-2018, 05:44 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you pay $20 for a Chinese knock off m42 adapter I agree. However on eBay I see these for $7-8 including shipping from multiple vendors.
04-26-2018, 05:46 AM   #19

$19.95 plus free shipping in the US. OEM

Pentax M42 Screw Mount K For Takumar Lens | eBay

If you are patient you can find used ones for $30 USD or less on eBay.

04-26-2018, 05:58 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If the British one is from SRB Photography those are reported to be trouble free.
That might be because they don't seem to make one at least none is shown on their site and the site search engine says it can't fine "m42 to Pentax k
04-26-2018, 06:09 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sooooo a few years ago one of the non-Pentax adapters decided to adhere itself to my K-7. Truth be told it put the fear of Dog into me...I stopped using my Tak 400mm because of this. Recently I purchased a proper Pentax adapter and so here is my question; do I need to fear the dreaded adapter locking on to my new K-3 with the genuine Pentax article? I would really like to dig out the Tak again...

Thanks for any and all responses, commentary and suggestions, Charlie
04-26-2018, 06:32 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
That might be because they don't seem to make one at least none is shown on their site and the site search engine says it can't fine "m42 to Pentax k
M42 Lens to Pentax K Camera Adaptor | SRB-Photographic.co.uk

04-26-2018, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Sooooo a few years ago one of the non-Pentax adapters decided to adhere itself to my K-7. Truth be told it put the fear of Dog into me...I stopped using my Tak 400mm because of this. Recently I purchased a proper Pentax adapter and so here is my question; do I need to fear the dreaded adapter locking on to my new K-3 with the genuine Pentax article? I would really like to dig out the Tak again...

Thanks for any and all responses, commentary and suggestions, Charlie
I have never had the Pentax give me trouble - once I understood how to use it. The spring thing is meant to be manipulated by your finger or a ball point pen not by use of the gadgets sold with many other knock offs. However you must be able to rotate the lens fully with it mounted to be able to get the lens off FIRST before you can remove the adapter. Remember that the lens lock release has no effect on keeping the adapter in place - it uses an alternate spring clip. For this reason I would mount the adapter to the camera first and then check to be sure your lens will rotate freely into the adapter rather than mounting the adapter to the lens and then turning it on like a k mount lens. (this last method is practical with lenses that have semi-fixed adapters with thread locker and no locking springs)
04-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have never had the Pentax give me trouble - once I understood how to use it. The spring thing is meant to be manipulated by your finger or a ball point pen not by use of the gadgets sold with many other knock offs. However you must be able to rotate the lens fully with it mounted to be able to get the lens off FIRST before you can remove the adapter. Remember that the lens lock release has no effect on keeping the adapter in place - it uses an alternate spring clip. For this reason I would mount the adapter to the camera first and then check to be sure your lens will rotate freely into the adapter rather than mounting the adapter to the lens and then turning it on like a k mount lens. (this last method is practical with lenses that have semi-fixed adapters with thread locker and no locking springs)
Good to know, I always did it the wrong way in the past.
04-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Good to know, I always did it the wrong way in the past.
with any lens that is smaller it really won't matter - only when there is a chance the lens won't rotate (tripod mount, bellows, etc) do you need to worry about this.
04-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #26
Pentaxian

For me, a tiny screwdriver {to manipulate the spring} works better than the spanner packed with the genuine Chinese adapters, so I keep one in my camera bag along with the adapter.
04-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For me, a tiny screwdriver {to manipulate the spring} works better than the spanner packed with the genuine Chinese adapters, so I keep one in my camera bag along with the adapter.
if you are looking for a screw driver

you might want to consider these JIS ones

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com

and then you could use it to check the tightness of the screws on the camera as well
04-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I contacted them some time back regarding this adapter. They replied that it is not an in-house product, but came from a supplier in Asia. What that means as far as getting stuck is anyone's guess

Steve
04-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #29
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The flanged one is the non infinity adapter and is a great option when doing portraits and closer. It is trouble free and the lens is locked on unlike the infinity with spring removed which can be annoying with an older lens with stiffer focusing.
Attached Images

04-26-2018, 02:17 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
That’s why I always remove the retaining clips.
Me too.....

It happened to me once - I ended up removing the "camera" mount in order to remove the M42 adapter...