Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2018, 05:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

M42 Embarrassment

I suppose Murphy's law had to strike sometime.

I was demonstrating to a friend how easy it was to use M42 lenses on his K-r and fitted my genuine Chinese M42 adapter to his camera and successfully demonstrated several m42 lenses, and naturally the adapter is now stuck firmly on the camera, any body know how to get it off, I've tried 2 different spanners without luck.

I have used it frequently on my K70 without problems.

CD

04-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
I suppose Murphy's law had to strike sometime.

I was demonstrating to a friend how easy it was to use M42 lenses on his K-r and fitted my genuine Chinese M42 adapter to his camera and successfully demonstrated several m42 lenses, and naturally the adapter is now stuck firmly on the camera, any body know how to get it off, I've tried 2 different spanners without luck.

I have used it frequently on my K70 without problems.

CD
Oh no!

I have two, the original Pentax, and a Kalt NOS that uses the spanner. Generally it's just as easy to use either one, but it is a little fiddly when I haven't used the Kalt in a while. I'd slow down, relax, and try the same method that's worked on your cameras again before trying anything else.
04-25-2018, 06:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
genuine Chinese M42 adapter
So who would try to fake a Chinese M42 adapter? The North Koreans?

Anyway, good luck with removing the genuine one!
04-25-2018, 06:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a common problem from what I've seen here on the forums. I googled this link for you, others may have something to add as well
How to remove a stuck M42 - K-mount adapter - PentaxForums.com

04-25-2018, 08:44 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That’s why I always remove the retaining clips.
04-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #6

The main thing is the lens is not stuck too, which gives you partial access to the spring clip.

In addition to the suggestions in the thread linked above perhaps mounting the camera on a tripod so you have both hands free you could depress the spring with one hand and using the other to turn the adapter with ball point pens, small screwdrivers or whatnot.

Worst comes to worst you might have better luck getting at the spring from the other side. The genuine adapter allows you to curl the tip of a finger around the adapter and get at the spring from behind. Or you may try removing the mount on the camera. Use a JIS driver and take care not to lose any of the contacts and springs or let anything fall into the mirror box. Take care as there may be a wire attached to the mount ring.
04-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Persistence and fiddling with Dremel tool as the last resort.

Steve

04-25-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you one and all for your kind assistance.

I eventually I managed to get it off, as far as I can figure it out the spring needs to be squashed against the inside of the ring against the throat opening, I noticed that the part of the spring which dips down seemed to be sticking against the start of the K mount flange and a little fiddling with a jewellers screwdriver managed to lift it away from the k mount sufficient to allow it to move a tiny bit, a couple more nudges with the screwdriver and I got the spring past the start of the k mount and a twist with the usual wrench got it off.

On examination against my Kood m42 adapter, the one with the flange which depresses the pin on m42 auto lenses and which I have used for years without problems, I noticed that when the red dots on both are exactly aligned the spring on the Chinese model is about 3mm (1/8") further away from the red dot so neither the spring or the k mount flanges align, furthermore the edges of the Chinese spring are slightly serrated on the top and bottom edges where it engages with the k mount whether this is good or bad I do not know, there are no serrations on the Kood.

I was thinking of taking the spring off and glueing the ring to an m42 preset lens but on reflection the adapter now resides in the bin.

CD
04-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

glad you were successful

remember Finnegan's Corollary to Murphy's Law

" Murphy was an optimist "
04-26-2018, 12:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I located a second Chinese adapter this morning and found that the distance between the red dot and the spring is different to the one that gave me trouble being located even further from the red dot. The flanges are also slightly different.

A definite case of buyer beware.
04-26-2018, 01:12 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow what a timely thread. I have my first m42 lenses and adapters awaiting collection and I didnt even know there was a problem. I bought one adapter per lens because they were cheap. Two are Chinese, one British. Time to enter research mode I think
04-26-2018, 02:17 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Wow what a timely thread. I have my first m42 lenses and adapters awaiting collection and I didnt even know there was a problem. I bought one adapter per lens because they were cheap. Two are Chinese, one British. Time to enter research mode I think
Hi,
I know that they are more expensive, but just go with the genuine Pentax adapter.
Regards.
04-26-2018, 02:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,
I know that they are more expensive, but just go with the genuine Pentax adapter.
Regards.
I just did exactly that. Pre owned from eBay £30. I am planning on using my K30 as my m42 camera so the adapter can effectively stay on. I do however have other manual k mount lenses. Does the official adapter come off quite easily or would I be best purely using my k30 for m42 and my K3 for all my K mounts?
04-26-2018, 02:59 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I just did exactly that. Pre owned from eBay £30. I am planning on using my K30 as my m42 camera so the adapter can effectively stay on. I do however have other manual k mount lenses. Does the official adapter come off quite easily or would I be best purely using my k30 for m42 and my K3 for all my K mounts?
if there is a risk of failure, you would think the odds of it occurring would increase the more you change the adapter on and off

no practical experience to base that on, strictly a WAG
04-26-2018, 04:25 AM   #15

Two are Chinese, one British. Time to enter research mode I think
If the British one is from SRB Photography those are reported to be trouble free.