Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

KS-2 won't connect via USB

I have tried connecting to 3 different computers (and yes I turned the camera on).

1) Laptop running Windows 7 Pro - got error message that Windows doesn't recognize the device. Suggested solution from Windows - replace device. I don't think so!
2) MS Surface running Windows 10 - no error message, never displays device in File Explorer or Device Manager
3) iMac running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 - Finder never sees the device. Luckily I have a card reader connected to the iMac so I can download my photos when I'm at home.

I'm stumped. I had an older Pentax that had no problem connecting via USB.

When I'm on vacation I like to back up the card in the camera to either the laptop or Surface.

04-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is there a card in the camera?
04-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by retpgmr Quote
I have tried connecting to 3 different computers (and yes I turned the camera on).

1) Laptop running Windows 7 Pro - got error message that Windows doesn't recognize the device. Suggested solution from Windows - replace device. I don't think so!
2) MS Surface running Windows 10 - no error message, never displays device in File Explorer or Device Manager
3) iMac running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 - Finder never sees the device. Luckily I have a card reader connected to the iMac so I can download my photos when I'm at home.

I'm stumped. I had an older Pentax that had no problem connecting via USB.

When I'm on vacation I like to back up the card in the camera to either the laptop or Surface.
There is a menu setting controlling USB mode. You may want to change that to the other setting if the current one isn't working.

Basically, this controls whether your device is seen as a disk or as a camera.

But yes, make sure there is an SD card inside it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Are you using a known-good cable?

Steve

04-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If all else fails, just use a USB card reader.
04-25-2018, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
If all else fails, just use a USB card reader.
IMO it is likely to be the cable
04-26-2018, 09:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by limestonecowboy Quote
is there a card in the camera?
yes it is

04-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is a menu setting controlling USB mode. You may want to change that to the other setting if the current one isn't working.

Yes I saw that in the menu, but couldn't find any explanation as to what MSC or PTP was.
04-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes I saw that in the menu, but couldn't find any explanation as to what MSC or PTP was.
See my post (#3) above. Did changing the mode fix things for you?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #10

Original Poster
See my post (#3) above. Did changing the mode fix things for you?
No, but I will give it a try. Thanks
04-29-2018, 09:26 AM   #11

Original Poster

Tried both settings, MSC & PTP, neither work. I guess my last hope is to try another USB cable even though the one I'm using is brand new.

---------- Post added 04-29-18 at 09:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you using a known-good cable?

Steve
Cable is brand new. I had to buy a new one since Pentax no longer provides USB cable with a new camera.
04-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Cable is brand new. I had to buy a new one since Pentax no longer provides USB cable with a new camera.
Sadly, that is not the same as as "known-good" and even new cables can be bad. I have had good luck with USB, but had to go through four HDMI (all the same item number) from a particular vendor before I go one that was good. Apparently, they got a bad batch.

Steve
04-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I wonder if there might be something wrong with the camera. But I'd be more inclined to believe that it's a faulty cable. Make sure the cable isn't too long, either.

Adam

04-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is there a "reset" available on menu to put everything back to factory settings before giving up?
04-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #15

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by limestonecowboy Quote
Is there a "reset" available on menu to put everything back to factory settings before giving up?
in the PC where you got an error try to connect into a different usb port. If you tried the front port, try the port in the back of the computer for example.
do not use USB extension cables.
do not force the cable into the camera usb port.
this type of usb cable is also is common also to charge phones and other devices so you may want to try a different port/different cable.
use the original pentax battery fully charged. turn on camera after cable is connected.