Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2018, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
Yes it had been a while since fine tuning autofocus and I was trying to do it through live view that I rarely even use. When I got home I set it back up on the tripod and got it to +5. Still may be a little back focused but so may try +6. Thanks for the help.
Glad to help. So the shots we have been seeing were using Live View? Which part of the Lens Cal were you focusing on because the chart was certainly back focused but that would depend on what you had focused on and could possibly give you an erroneous indication of back focus. A pretty good distribution of focus is usually a bit more back focus than front focus but that depends on what type of photography you are doing.

Glad to hear that the shots are looking pretty good at +5. I've found that my K-3 will scatter the focus over a very narrow range over a series of shots so you may need to just find the best average setting to get consistent shots.

Larry

04-27-2018, 07:14 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Glad to help. So the shots we have been seeing were using Live View? Which part of the Lens Cal were you focusing on because the chart was certainly back focused but that would depend on what you had focused on and could possibly give you an erroneous indication of back focus. A pretty good distribution of focus is usually a bit more back focus than front focus but that depends on what type of photography you are doing.

Glad to hear that the shots are looking pretty good at +5. I've found that my K-3 will scatter the focus over a very narrow range over a series of shots so you may need to just find the best average setting to get consistent shots.

Larry
I was aiming at the small squares next to the ruler at 0.
04-27-2018, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Keep the light on the right side of the scale so there won't be shadow on the scale.

I use Focus peaking for verifying the focusing in LiveView, without taking the picture. This saves lot of time. This is how I do.

a) Enable Focus Peaking
b) Configure AF button for focussing.

Repeat these steps until you get satisfactory af-offset
a) Turn off LiveView
b) Adjust focus offset (say +3)
c) Press AF button and let the camera do AF.
d) Turn on LiveView for verifying focussiing (Do not touch AF button when Live view is on)
e) Zoom the Live view to 100%. You should see the marching ants around the line that is in focus.
f) Turn off the LiveView.
Repeat above steps with different AF offset.

Above procedure should help you reach ballpark AF-offset, then take pictures and inspect in PC. I usually take 3 pictures 'with af-offset', 'without any af-offset' and 'MF using Focus peaking'.

Viewfinder has scales for leveling the camera, I use them also.
04-27-2018, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #19
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
Help to see if autofocus fine tuning looks alright.
Hi BullsOnParade81,

Follow these instructions step by step. I also have the Spyder lenscal, Go to the link below and you're not the first to have problems with F/B Focus.

Calibrating the Front / Back focus